A New Animal: JDM135 for 1-2-3-4 plates

3/16/2020
Started Guaranteed Muscle Mass (T-nation article by Paul Carter) today.
In preparation for this, started taking Creatine on Saturday, and eating as much as I want (pretty much been doing that since last week getting back from vacation).

Lower Body #1
Squats:
-One at 200lb
-AMRAP at 165lb: 12 reps. (This is definitely weakness of mind. My lower back hurt and I ended the set, but I know if my will was stronger I could have done more. I should have done 16-20 IMO).
-60 seconds rest, then AMRAP at 165 again: 10 reps.

SLDL:
-One at 200lb
-AMRAP at 165lb - 17 reps, grip was limiting factor (used double overhand).

Split squats:
Elevated rear foot on an 8" box.
-5 sets with empty bar: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 reps.
OK, these sucked the most by far. I was sweating hard and huffing and probably grunting and seething to the annoyance of the two other people in the gym.
Back to the “weakness of mind” theme, if I could do 18 reps on the last set I certainly could have done it on the first set, right? But I was struggling with balance, and finding the “groove” on this unfamiliar exercise. By the end, it was hard, but I knew what I was doing. My legs were shaking and there will be DOMS from this!

No GMM for me until the world awakes from its shutdown.
Home workout with 59lb KB and doorway pullup bar:

20 swings, 20 pushups; repeat 5x.
5 Chins, 10 goblet squats; repeat 5x.
20 swings, 20 pushups; repeat 5x.
5 Chins, 10 goblet squats; repeat 5x.
45 minutes total.

Today:
5 rounds of: 20 KB thrusters (50lb), 5 chins.

I’ll do another 5x5 chins later.

Very hard to focus on a workout, the kids were up and watching Netflix (and me). I find the living room is not conducive to performance.

Past couple days I did some stuff I didn’t bother to log, like 10 pushups EMOM to reach 100, some KB swings, some split squats with RFE on the couch (didn’t work out well for me).
And we’ve been very busy cleaning and fixing up our house, which we are selling.

Tomorrow is the first Monday of working from home for me, I hope to get into more of a routine.

3/23
5x20 split squats, bodyweight only, not RFE
5x20 pushups
5x20 kb swings. 50lb
12, then 8 neutral grip pullups.
Intend to knock out 3 more sets of 8 pullups throughout the day.

3/24
Left knee has been cranky ever since yesterday’s split squats. Dont know what’s going on there.

Did this chest/tri routine posted by @giano:
Decline pushups, 3 sets to failure: 40, 20, 16
Pushups, 3 sets to failure: 15, 18, 18
Windowsill tricep extensions, 3 sets: 20, 20, 20 (couldn’t get the groove here…)
Diamond pushups, 3 sets to failure: 20, 16, 18
(Kids woke up before the last set of diamonds, so got a bit extra rest)

Then, between parenting responsibilities, 5x10 KB rows (50lb).

I’ll do 50 pullups today spread out, same as yesterday.

4 rounds of:
-15 sissy squats, heels on a board
-15 reverse nordics, knees on small pillow (unpleasant)
-15 split squats, RFE on couch
-15 squats
This circuit suggested by @j4gga2.
That was pretty cool except for the knee pressure from nordics. Never done those or sissy squats before. I can see a lot of room for improvement on the sissys.

Next:
Single leg RDLs, 50lb KB - 4x10
Floor slider hamstring curls: 4x10
The slider curls were brutal, felt like muscle cramps after rep 5 on every set.
A lot of room for improvement there.

Today’s experience proved to me that I can still be serious about training without a barbell.
I hope it doesn’t last long but in 2 months if I look better and feel better, maybe I’ll get back to the gym with some new strengths if also weaker in some areas.

1 Like

This is pretty common, the load on the patellar tendon can cause some unpleasantness at first, but it goes away. Do you have a history of meniscal injuries?

I don’t. Are you saying strength improvement will make it less painful, or that the knee just gets used to the pressure and stops hurting?

1 Like

In all honesty that depends on where you’re feeling pain. Does it feel fairly close to the skin - around the kneecap and/or the quad tendon - or does it feel very deep within the joint capsule?

Reverse Nordics introduce a large amount of creep - a concept similar to a loaded stretch - to the quad tendon. This may be the cause of discomfort for a lot of people. Over time, however, the tendon adapts to this loading and will actually become stiffer and stronger.

Thus, if we assume your discomfort is from the quad tendon, practicing the movement will make that discomfort go away as you get stronger, but it isn’t necessarily strength producing the change in pain (I hope that makes sense).

So yeah, I guess you could say the knee gets used to the pressure.

Where would you rate the discomfort out of 10, where 10 is the worst pain imaginable and 1 is a mozzie bite?

It is near the top of the shin bone I guess.
Hard to rate the pain, more pressure than acute pain, I can definitely say I can’t go to muscle failure on this - it feels like the knee would explode first.

How old are you?

Thirty-one

3/27
50lb KB workout:
Goblet squat 10x10
Swings 5x20
OHP 5x10

Squats and swings were a bit too easy, for each I ran the last 2 sets together with no rest. Need to up reps and/or do the entire thing for time. Didn’t time this.
OHP was too hard. I had to use the free hand to stabilize, which quickly turned to assistance, by the end it approached a 2-handed movement- all the more awkward since it’s a small KB…
10 sets of 5 would probably have been more appropriate. I may try the KB out in the grass, where I could use one hand and drop if needed.

I intend to do 50 pullups today.

Could be something called apophysitis but I’m not 100% certain. I’d skip the rev Nordics from now on

3/29, Sunday
Did the 10000 KB swing challenge workout today. I guess I’ll do the whole challenge, giving myself some consistency over the next few weeks.
Using my 50lb KB, my first time was 39 mins 40 seconds. Maybe I’m doing something wrong because it just didn’t seem that challenging.

Grip was where I felt it, I’ll have to put tape on the KB.

No other exercises in between this time, since I wanted to set a baseline time; I’ll add exercises from here on.

3/30, Monday
50 neutral grip pullups, 100 pushups. Randomly done throughout the morning in sets of 10 pullups and 20 pushups.

3/31/2020
10000 KB swing challenge workout 2
Time: 39:40 again (coincidence I swear)
5 rounds of:
10 swings
4 pushups
15 swings
6 pushups
25 swings
10 pushups
50 swings

I wasn’t asskicked by this last time, but today is different. Much less rest, plus my grip and hams were sore to begin with. Right ham felt crampy the whole time. May need a day off this again.
A solid workout.

4/1/2020, Wednesday
10000 KB swing challenge workout 3
Time: 39:49

5 rounds of:
10 swings
2 split squats each leg, w/50lb KB
15 swings
3 split squats
25 swings
5 split squats
50 swings

Felt good. Time was a few secs longer but considering a bilateral lower body movement is added, it’s a performance improvement. Was drenched in sweat LOL.
I wrapped the KB handle in hockey stick tape and it makes this much less taxing on my finger flexors. For good measure I still soaked my forearms in a sink of cold water for 3 minutes as soon as this was done; but I never felt like the bell was about to fly out of my hands.
Then:
3x10 upright rows with same KB.

4/3/2020
Workout 4 of 10000 kb swing challenge

500 swings in 31:06. Skipped the first rest period each cluster so it went like this:
5 rounds of:
25, 25, 50.

Afterward, 3x10 upright rows, 3x5 each side OHP (opposite arm stabilizing).

4/4 Saturday
Moved house. 3 rounds of: load truck; drive; unload truck; drive. For time:
About 12 hours.