2-SCOOPS Training Log

12-23-09 Another shirted bench day

bar, 95, 135
185x4
225x3
275x3 (added 2 board)
315x1
405x1 (3 board and added inzer double rage x)
495x1
545x1
585x1 went pretty well, pretty easy

I originally wanted to do more but I was using a different bench and shit than normal, so I couldn’t use any reverse bands this time. I also had some people spotting that normally don’t and aren’t familiar with shirt work, so the team lift offs were pretty sketch at best and I had a difficult time balancing the weight after they handed it off, but on the 585 one of the guys spotting, cough* conor* cough, over reacted after I locked out the weight and took it pretty fast and pulled it towards him and my pinky got pinched between the bar and rack. It took some skin off but nothing real bad, coulda been worse, decided to stop after that, got a band aid and did some accessory work.

shoulder press to top of head- 135x6, 185x10, 225x10
bb curl- 135x7, 135x5, 95x15
rope tricep pushdowns- 200x10x3

I supersetted the curls and tricep exercises.
That’s it, wanted to get going, had to drive back home tonight(an hour away) and the weather was and is shitty. Lots of rain and ice.

12-28-09 Another bench day

warmup- bar, 95, 135
185x5
225x10
245x10
275x10 (2 board)

db incline- 82.5’s x10x3
bent over bb row- 225x10, 275x10, 315x10
db hammer curls- 72.5’s x10 per arm supersetted with 17.5’s? for 10 per arm, just a few second break in between. 3 sets of each
v-bar tricep pushdowns- 195x12x3
I supersetted all the arm work, I did 20 reps with the 72.5’s, few second break then did the 17.5’s? for 20, took a little longer break then did the pushdowns. then started over, and did 3 rotations.

I’m back home and lifted at the local YMCA, not a big fan of the equipment and just about all their dumbells are all in weird incriments as you can see by the 72.5 and 17.5. I think that’s all I did, was pretty quick and all the bench work was really easy. Me and one of my friends were training one of our friends. It was fun and he said he could hardly get outta bed today haha, he did a hell of a job and I wish more people sucked it up like he did.

12-30-09 Suited squat day

warmup- bar, 135
225x5
315x2
405x1
495x1 (added belt and approx 1" above parallel box)
585x1 (added used viking briefs)
635x1
675x1 (added new Ace suit)
725x0 stapled hahaha

well everything was going pretty good and easy up until i put my new suit over my briefs, never got the suit suited, i should have just used the suit and no briefs to just get used to it and break it in, never sat back into it and legs kinda shot forward so i got stapled on the box, need time in the new suit but it should work out pretty well. it’s nice to have some weight back on the squat bar since the last weight i used was like 315 reverse band lol. my leg felt pretty good and still feels good tonight. i’ll be looking forward to using and learning this suit since my leg will apparently hold up for me. time to start sackin up!

had lots of my buddies in the gym today, it was a fun day. and we went out to a chinese buffet afterwards, good times.

1-2-10 Deadlift day

below knee rack pulls, can’t remember what pin but i’ll look tomorrow.

warmup-135, 225
315x4
405x2 (switched to narrow sumo stance)
495x1
585x1
635x1x2 (added new Ace suit)
675x1 (added reverse bands)
745x1
785x1
785x not quite

ghr- raised up the the back about 8" did back, did backraises first- bw + 50lb x12, x15 then 20-25 bw ghr
did some bi and tri work, mainly just cuz, not worth putting down.

I finally got some vid, I have one of the 745 and my second 785, the person using my camera phone started to soon on my first 785 and the vid stopped right before I pulled, so I decided to do another so I could tape it but just couldn’t lock it out all the way. I’ll hopefully have those up sometime tomorrow. I used a higher rack position than I have been, mainly because i’m just starting back into my pulling so I like to work from high position to low. So far my leg and hip have been holding up so I want to keep it that way.

1-4-10 Shirted bench day

warmup- bar, 95, 135
185x5
225x4
275x3 (2 board)
315x2 (2 board)
405x1 (3 board added rage x)
495x1
545x1 (2 board)
585x1 was supposed to get video, but people can’t run something where they have to press 2 buttons

bench-225x13
wide grip pullups-bw x16

kinda had to go quick, gym closed early and I got in late. warming up shit didn’t feel that good, but it was still a pretty good day.

side note: my computer is fucking gay, had everything erased cuz my hard drive crashed and very little got put back on my comp, so it doesn’t want to play my god damn vids from saturday, and everything i’m trying to download to make it work wants to charge me money so fuck that…I don’t know what the fuck to do. Anyone know any good free shit to download to make it so that your comp will play a .3g2 file?

nevermind, found some baller ass software, but because it’s not registered there is a very small watermark in the middle of the screen. should have shit posted shortly

745 reverse band, below knee. just starting to do rack pulls/deads again. had to use straps cuz i didn’t have chalk that day. hopefully i’ll have more and better vids of real stuff later.

2nd 785 reverse band, didn’t lock it out, did a second because the first didn’t get recorded. i think it’s kinda funny when i put the bar down, look at the weights.

1-07-10 Suited squat day

used the ss yoke bar today (bar weighs 80lbs)
warmup-bar, 170
260x4
350x2
440x1
530x1
620x1 (added Ace suit, squatting to 2" above parallel box to get used to suit)
710x1
800x1 pretty easy, was supposed to be recorded but didn’t so i decided to do another set
820x1 this one got recorded

no time for any accessory work, gym still closing early for this week, so I ran out of time to do anything else. overall it was a good day, getting use to my suit and it’s working out pretty well, I can tell that the first day I used it that it definately wasn’t seated. hopefully i’ll get that vid posted here tomorrow.
bw- 190-192lbs

here is vid of the squat from 1-07-10. first off, i know it’s high, i already said its high, but still wasn’t to bad and prolly gonna work this down to about parallel here in a few weeks or so.

1-08-10 Equipped deadlift

did reverse band full ROM deadlifts
warmup-225 (conventional and narrow sumo)
315x4x2 (conventional and narrow sumo)
405x2 narrow sumo
495x1 narrow sumo
585x1 narrow sumo
675x1 (added Ace suit, sumo not narrow)
725x1 video
765x 3/4 with video

just couldn’t lock out at the top. only had time for this tonight, gym closed early again, but will be back to normal hours next week! things didn’t go to bad, still kinda tired from wed squat workout but all in all not real bad night. hopefully have video up tommorrow of lifts. bw still around the 190-192 range

vid of reverse band dead from 1-8-10

here is my 765 fail.

here is the 725.

1-11-09 Shirted Bench day

warmup- bar, 95, 135
185x4
225x3
275x2 (one board)
315x1 (one board)
455x1 (3 board added rage x)
495x1 (3 board)
585x1 (2 board added reverse bands: -90 at top, -120 at 2 board)
635x1
675x1
700x1 kinda slow at lockout, but got it, and most of it is on vid, unfortunately it was on my phone so quality sucks and it stopped before lockout, but i did get it, and hopefully have that vid up later tonight or tomorrow.

shoulder press on leg press- plate per side x15x2
machine t-bar row- 2 plates x15

that’s it, i’m hurty and tired.

here is the vid from my phone, it sucks i know and it doesn’t quite show the lockout, but i played with my phone and changed some stuff, so next time i’ll have more vid time and much better quality.

700lb 2 board with reverse bands. approx 610lb at top an 580lb at 2 board.

here is the vid from my phone, it sucks i know and it doesn’t quite show the lockout, but i played with my phone and changed some stuff, so next time i’ll have more vid time and much better quality.

700lb 2 board with reverse bands. approx 610lb at top an 580lb at 2 board.

1-15-09 Deadlift day

deadlift off floor
warmup- 135, 225
315x4
405x2 (switched to narrow sumo)
455x1
495x1 (added viking briefs)
545x1
585x1 still not to hard
405x15 very tiring

pullups- bw+30lb db x12
ytwl- 10lb db x7 cylcles

that’s it, i’m very very tired. i got strep throat and have had a diet of crackers and sprite the past couple days with no activity, that’s also why i didn’t lift on wed. so i think tonight went pretty well actually.

rant

You know what, I’m not the mother fuckin mack daddy of lifting weights, nor do I think I am, but I do throw up some decent numbers relative to my body weight. Getting bigger and stronger isn’t a damn mystery, as I type this right now, I kinda feel like throwing up, I had to choke down some food and milk cuz I’m still sick and feel horrible from lifting tonight. But that’s what it takes, if you think you are eating enough…you aren’t, if you think you are working hard enough in the gym…you aren’t. You shouldn’t say “well that was good enough,” you should take a principle from lean manufacturing and use the 5 why’s. Essentially you pick a problem and then keep asking a series of “why” questions so that you finally get down to the most basic and simple answer.
Ex:
problem- my weight has stayed the same
why- why has my weight stayed the same?
I’m eating 2500 calories a day
why am I only eating 2500 calories a day?
I’m only eating 3 times a day
why am I only eating 3 times a day?
solution: maybe I should try to eat more times or eat throughout the day

Not a great example I know, but one nontheless. Try it, there should be an obvious reason why you aren’t achieving the goals you want. I personally feel like shit, fucking shit after every workout. I feel horrible during the day just to try to eat enough food and get enough calories. Yet I still know that I can improve.

When I was starting out lifting, I would watch the big and strong guys in the gym to see what they were doing and how they were doing it. I would strongly suggest that, granted you may have to take some things with a grain of salt but chances are they had to get to that level somehow and from somewhere. That’s what I did, and I still use some of the concepts today and they work pretty well. This comes to mind because today after I got done deadlifting, this one kid starts deadlifting…about 450lbs less than I just did, it bugs me that some people don’t ask questions of what to do to increase their lifting.

Then to continue, don’t ask my advice then completely disregard it. I fucking hate that, you know why, cuz I took the time to talk to you and took time out of what I was doing to help you out, and you know what, I squat like 600 more pounds than you asshole. If you weren’t gonna take the advice, then why ask?

I agree that a little cardio is a good idea, I don’t do much, and I know I should do more, but I don’t get all these people that do cardio all the time…I mean why? Is it going to help you out in the real world? probably not. Where I work there isn’t to heavy of stuff around but once in a while there is, it’s pretty white collar(this has happened with summer blue collar jobs as well), but you know who they come to when the need some heavy stuff moved?..me, do they turn to the people that run or have to ask people to go run 5 miles or to go physically run an errand for them?..no. Do people that do cardio keep up with me in the gym? hells no, but do I breath heavier than them after doing some walking or something…yes I do, but I can still work circles around them.

Just a few things that were buggin me.

1-18-10 Shirted bench day

warmup-bar, 95, 135
185x4
225x3 (added reverse bands)
315x2
405x3 (added 3 board)
585x3 (added rage x, 3 board)
635x3
675x3
675x2 (2 board)

db incline- 75lb x15, x10
band pull aparts- 16, 13

that’s it. i’m damn tired. bw- 188lbs, down because i was sick, hopefully get that back up here in a couple days.

had three random people come in tonight and bench…they were grunting pretty loud with their 135lb and like 185 benches…i’m pretty sure they were just doing that to draw attention, i’m not really sure why, cuz i wouldn’t want to draw attention to myself if i was doing that. now i’m not being a real big prick, but you can tell when someone is making noise, possible unintentionally, while doing a hard workout, but you can also tell when someone is making noise just to make noise, this was the lader.

1-20-10 Equipped squat
straight bar (regular bb)

warmup- 135, 225
315x3
405x1
495x1
585x1 (added viking briefs)
635x1 (1"above parallel)
675x1 (added Ace suit, actually seated this time with briefs, 2" above parallel)
765x1
815x1 (reverse band, -0 at top, not very much tension at all)

that was it. sqauatted in a group of 3 tonight so it went pretty slow. man i kinda hate straight bar work, it just doesn’t feel as good to me as the ss bar. also the other two people squatting like a wide grip on the bar, i don’t, so we had to compromise on a hook position that was still wider than my liking, ended up getting part of my hand caught between the bar and hook on the 815. it didn’t bleed initially, but it really bled quite a bit after a min or two. i think if i can get my normal grip postition i’ll feel more comfortable. just doing some higher box stuff now because i’m still breaking in/getting use to my suit, i’ll drop it down sometime here.
bw-189lbs

1-22-10 Deadlift day

rack pulls at knee level
narrow sumo
warmup-135, 225, 315
405x2
495x2 (added belt)
585x1 (added viking briefs, don’t really get anything out of them at this height, but they make my hip feel better)
635x1
675x1
725x 1/2 x2 (left hand slipped on first one, added straps on second one, got both up but couldn’t lock out)
635x8 1/2 (wanted 10 but it just wasn’t there, used straps)

sldl deficit pulls- approx 4" deficit 135x10, 225x10x2
ghr- raised back up about 8" 2 sets of about 20 reps

i think i need to move up my rack pulls to just above knee level, i don’t have a problem getting the weight up, it’s just at the lockout where i am having the problem. the 675 went up real well but i am pretty sure that if i actually felt good and not run down the 725 would have been lockout out, it’s been a hard couple weeks and i’m definately feeling it. bw back up to 190lbs.

1-27-10 Equipped birthday squat day

first off I would like to apologize for my post on the thread by my buddy, I was kind of intoxicated and irritated. The point I was trying to make, and that didn’t come accross very well, was that I didn’t fully understand why all these weak people were hating in that thread, I understand that the thread was kinda uncalled for but his intention was that it seems to many people on this site don’t pay attention to people who actually move decent weights on this site and instead kind of do the opposite. he just happened to use my log as an example.

I got back home late and decided to post, not a great idea but it happened. to me it just didn’t seem necessary for these internet warriors to respond the way they did, having looked at their stats and training logs decided to post something to hopefully make them re-think what my buddy was getting at, however it seems as though it came out as me being cooler than other people because I lift more weight, that was not my intention. everyone starts somewhere and I do not hate on people moving small weights unless they are doing something completely dumb, in which case I normally write about it.

and to the comment about not really reading a log because it’s not the type of lifting you do, well I think that is shenannigans. I look at a lot of different lifters doing lots of different lifting because I think no matter what lifting they are doing, you can always come away with something useful from it. some things don’t apply I agree, but chances are you can learn something from different kinds of lifting.

Anyways, here was tonight’s workout. was gonna take this week off, that’s why I didn’t bench monday but was talked into squatting for my b-day.

bb squats
warmup- 135, 225
315x4
405x1
495x1
585x1 (approx 1" above parallel box, added viking briefs)
635x1
675x1 (added Ace suit)
765x1 wanted 2 but was mis communicated, so decided to go again
765x2

that was it, straps down and no knee wraps, although I should try straps up sometime but that’ll be later. squatted in a decently large group so it took awhile. first 765 felt real good, the second set didn’t feel to bad and the second rep kinda sucked but still went up real well. getting use to the weights cuz it didn’t feel as bad as last week.

Thanks for reading,
SCOOPS