T Nation

ZMA or Just Zinc Magnesium?

I have heard a lot of great things about zma helping recovering and great sleep. However I already take a sleep aid. So would just taking over the counter zing magnesium supps do the same to help recovery? If so how much would you recommend and with or without food? I know zma is best on an empty stomach but didnt know if that still applied.

ZMA is just zinc and magnesium. 30 mg of zinc and 450 mg of magnesium before bed is fine. Zinc and magnesium play vital roles in cellular health and growth as well as supporting healthy hormone levels. It is not a “sleep aid” even though it is advertised as that.

Reasonably certain the A in ZMA stands for Acetate, as in Magnesium Acetate.

Going from memory

ZMA is a combination of zinc, magnesium and Vitamin B6. I don’t think there’s research to validate the “sleep aid” claim, but there are plenty of anecdotal reports to support the claim. Make of it what you will.

400mg-600mg of Magnesium at night helps me sleep and i’ve had insomnia for years. It works so well, you feel sleepy naturally half hr after taking it and if i wake up, i feel drowsy enough to go back to sleep after. I love it! Not a total cure if stressed though,

There is evidence for it…

[quote]Wileykit wrote:
400mg-600mg of Magnesium at night helps me sleep and i’ve had insomnia for years. It works so well, you feel sleepy naturally half hr after taking it and if i wake up, i feel drowsy enough to go back to sleep after. I love it! Not a total cure if stressed though,

There is evidence for it…
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/163169.php[/quote]

It also helps me sleep like a baby, sometimes with some pretty awesome dreams. I was bringing up the fact that the deeper sleep is not the primary benefit of supplementing ZMA.

Also, I believe the A is for aspartate. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s just how the molecules are bound.