T Nation

ZMA Nightmares

I normally enjoy the dream-inducing properties of ZMA, but last night I had the worst night’s sleep, waking up a bunch of times, each time after a nightmare. Snakes invading my house, my girlfriend coming home with her body all covered in tattoos, gangs rampaging through my school and me having to protect myself by hitting people in the head with a baseball bat- some pretty disturbing stuff.

It was hard to fall back to sleep after each dream and I feel like dogcrap today. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Both ZMA and supplemental melatonin can allow you to have a more restful sleep. That means more time spent in REM, which is also the state where dreams occur. So, ZMA and melatonin basically make you dream more.

Of course, they don’t “cause” nightmares but since you’re dreaming more then your chance of having a bad dream increases too. Nightmares can happen by chance - random brain activity - but can also be triggered by worries and stress during the day.

I usually get more sexual dreams when using ZMA.

Hey…I have been having the same exact problem when using ZMA or melatonin. Except your nightmares don’t seem all that bad honestly…trying being chased down a back alley by a couple of cops with their guns drawn who happen to think “you’re really cute” haha…but yeah, i have had some absolutely horrible nightmares that have made it impossible for me to go back to sleep at times. i am pretty sure there’s probably something else going on in your life causing them…the ZMA and melatonin just happens to supercharge it and make it seem so real because you are in such a deep sleep.

Hey Bro:

Snakes in dreams is a sign of either failing health or increasing health.
It may mean someone close to you is sick.

As for the other stuff, these represent things out of control and against you. This is signified with the bat and gangs in school. The tats are also a symbol of something you can’t control.

I still get nightmares too. Mostly me in mid semester college and going to math class for the fist time, and missing tests…

I graduated 15 years ago, and I still have school dreams.

You get crazy dreams if you take Spike a little too close to bedtime. Every time that I’ve done that so far all of my dreams consist of me playing a starring role in an action/shooter video game.

Splinter Cell and Halo are much cooler when you can turn them OFF. It sucks to be Master Chief for 8 hours straight: Shoot, jump, run, shoot, jump, duck, run. The funny thing is, I haven’t played any video games in about a year.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Hey Bro:
[/quote]

It may also mean that we need to disregard wacky ideas written by a cocaine addict in the year 1900.

[Smiley face and all that. But not really.]

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Hey Bro:

It may also mean that we need to disregard wacky ideas written by a cocaine addict in the year 1900.

[Smiley face and all that. But not really.] [/quote]

LOL! Deano, it looks like Freud says maybe the dream means you want to hump your mom. SniFFFF!

i second the more sexual dreams on ZMA…and last night i took Spike around 6…needless to say i had a dream that i was a knight in medieval times, destroying face…then slept w/ the princess heh

I dream of ZMA when I take ZMA. Sometimes someone steals it away from me. :slight_smile: