ZMA -- More than Zinc and Magnesium?

I’ve been doing some research about ZMA. I’m considering taking it as another way to boost my testosterone and get better sleep… two of it’s claims. Anyway, my question is whether it’s really more than just a concentrated dose of Zinc and Magnesium and Vitamin B-6 – which I get plenty of with my MV/MM – or is there more to it? I suspect it could just be redundant with a MV/MM. Thanks guys.

Like the label says, it is zinc, magnesium and b6. I sleep better for the first couple weeks on it then I don’t really notice a difference.

define “plenty of”

multis generally dont have that much of zinc and magnesium. Magnesium works well when moderately large doses are taken prior to sleep rather than during the day I find.

not to mention most multis contain calcium which blocks zinc… or find a multi w/o calcium

[quote]Gl;itch.e wrote:
define “plenty of”

multis generally dont have that much of zinc and magnesium. Magnesium works well when moderately large doses are taken prior to sleep rather than during the day I find.[/quote]

I take MultiPro 32X. 2 pills a day (once AM, once PM), totaling 50%/200mg Magnesium and 400%/60mg Zinc. It’s also got 3000%/60mg B-6. And a whole lot more (see below, sorry if came out jumbled).

Does this seem sufficient, or would a ZMA supplement adequately?

Amount Per Serving Amt %DV
Vitamin A(as Beta Carotene) &(as Acetate, Incl) 10,000IU 200%
Vitamin C(as Ascorbic Acid) 200mg 333%
Vitamin D3(as Cholecalciferol) 400IU 100%
Vitamin E(as DL-Alpha Tocopheryls Acetate) 60IU 200%
Vitamin K(as Phytonadione) 75mcg 93%
Vitamin B1(as Thiamin Hydrochloride) 30mg 2,000%
Vitamin B2(as Riboflavin) 30mg 1,765%
Vitamin B3(as Niacinamide) 30mg 150%
Vitamin B6(as Pyridoxine HCL) 30mg 1,500%
Folic Acid 400mcg 100%
Vitamin B12(as Cyanocobalamin) 30mcg 500%
Biotin 300mcg 100%
Vitamin B5(as Pantothenic Acid) 30mg 300%
Di-Calcium Phosphate - Calcium 75mg 8%
-Phosphorus 75mg 8%
Iron(as Ferrous Fumarate) 6mg 33%
Iodine(as Potassium Iodide) 150mcg 100%
Magnesium(as Magnesium Oxide) 100mg 25%
Zinc(as Zinc Chelate) 30mg 200%
Selenium(as Selenium Amino Acid Chelate) 75mcg 108%
Copper(as Copper Chelate) 2mg 100%
Manganese(as Manganese Sulfate) 10mg 500%
Chromium(as Chromium Chelate) 100mcg 84%
Molybdenum(as Molybdenum Chelate) 80mcg 106%
Potassium Chloride -Chloride 36mg <2%
Potassium 40mg <2%
Silicon 30mg *
Tin(as Tin Chelate) 10mcg *
Vanadium(as Vanadium Chelate) 10mcg *
Boron(as Boron Amino Acid Chelate) 150mcg *
Nickel(as Nickel Protein Chelate) 25mcg *

^ More than likely those Percentages ARE for two pills. So you’re getting half of what you think.

Unless it’s a HUGE pill you have to eat with a fork and knife.

[quote]Darkane wrote:
^ More than likely those Percentages ARE for two pills. So you’re getting half of what you think.

Unless it’s a HUGE pill you have to eat with a fork and knife.[/quote]

Lol. Nah it says ‘serving size: 1 caplet’

[quote]chkeeley wrote:
Lol. Nah it says ‘serving size: 1 caplet’[/quote]

What is a caplet?! Half tablet and half cap??

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
not to mention most multis contain calcium which blocks zinc… or find a multi w/o calcium[/quote]

Calcium + zinc = no

Every ZMA bottle I’ve seen will explicitly say to take it on an empty stomach or with a meal that contains no calcium.

ZMA isn’t expensive, and I find it’s great for sleep quality. I don’t even bother with a multi these days. I just take ZMA and vitamin D (D3) and I do fine.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

not to mention most multis contain calcium which blocks zinc… or find a multi w/o calcium[/quote]

Calcium + zinc = no

Every ZMA bottle I’ve seen will explicitly say to take it on an empty stomach or with a meal that contains no calcium.
.[/quote]

isn’t that what I just said, or were you simply agreeing with me?

isn’t that what I just said, or were you simply agreeing with me?[/quote]

Yep, and yep.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

THIS^

Calcium + zinc = no

ZMA isn’t expensive, and I find it’s great for sleep quality. I don’t even bother with a multi these days. I just take ZMA and vitamin D (D3) and I do fine.[/quote]

Fixed!

It didnt work well for me. Could be that I am not deficient in zinc or magnesium. I was really looking forward to those lucid dreams. I stick with GABA before I go to bed.

[quote]phishfood1128 wrote:
It didnt work well for me. Could be that I am not deficient in zinc or magnesium. I was really looking forward to those lucid dreams. I stick with GABA before I go to bed. [/quote]

I have ridiculous dreams all the time :). GABA never really did anything for me, but I get wasted off of ZMA haha.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

[quote]phishfood1128 wrote:
It didnt work well for me. Could be that I am not deficient in zinc or magnesium. I was really looking forward to those lucid dreams. I stick with GABA before I go to bed. [/quote]

I have ridiculous dreams all the time :). GABA never really did anything for me, but I get wasted off of ZMA haha.[/quote]

super jealous

If you have a deficiency (not unlikely), yeah ZMA will make you sleep better and wake up with boners. Whether or not this translates to appreciable gains is anybody’s guess, but I like it.

Personally, I just take a Magnesium blend (5 different kinds bitches!) and zinc before I go to sleep.

I’ve always found GABA had the opposite actions with me. Kept me up most of the night for one reason or another. Love ZMA though.