ZMA Is Waking Me Up?

Hey guys, since I’ve started take zma, I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night to use the john…alot. This has happened every night for the past week.

I’ve tried no liquids (other than the the cup of water I take the pills w/) for up to four hours before bed…I’m getting the morning wood, vivid dreams, etc. but waking up is getting annoying…i’m actually feeling more tired now. What do you think is causing this? Do you think i’m actually getting TOO much zinc and my body is trying to get rid of it(I’ll try going down to two pills tonight)?

#1 or #2?
magnesium can act as a laxitive, you
migh be sensitive to the dose.
Dr. Tim

I find the same thing, on ZMA i always seem to wake up earlier than normal. I will also try down my dosage to 2 caps tonight and see how things go…

ShadOW

do you eat 30-45min after taking the ZMA? this makes a difference.

I’ve been taking ZMA for a little over a month and haven’t noticed any of those problems. I take it about 45 min. before I go to bed.

Not sure what the reasoning is, but I’d try taking 2 pills and see if that makes a difference.

[quote]drtim wrote:
#1 or #2?
magnesium can act as a laxitive, you
migh be sensitive to the dose.
Dr. Tim[/quote]

#1 actually…same effect though last night. I HAVE been eating about a half hour after I take the zma: can of tuna and about 4 grams of fish oil. I’m using biotests’s product; maybe will switch brands next time around.

Funny thing I always think I’m going to eat 30-45 min. after I take ZMA, but I always wind up falling asleep before I get the chance. Not that I’m complaining; I’ll take a full night’s sleep any day of the week.

I wouldn’t get hung up with taking it before bed. It has been noted in another thread that magnesium sometimes entrains weird dreams. I can attest to that. So I stopped taking my magnesium right before bed. It is ,however,important to take the magnesium at some distance from ingesting a source of calcium (such as dairy).

Try reducing the dosage and if that doesn’t work, do it at another time of day. Apparently around 2am and 2pm are critical for testosterone production. Try taking it after lunch, if the lowered dosage does not work.

I’m using ZMA at the moment, when ive used it in the past i used to end up wide awake at 2-3am after only getting a couple of hours sleep, again peeing alot too.
I’m now using 2/3rds of the dose and its stopped all problems, i figured it was the large dose and my small size…

The same thing is happening with me. I thought it was supposed to give you a feeling of beign fully replenished in the morning but when I take the ZMA I actually wake up alot during the course of the night and wake up in the morning more tired than I would normally be.

hmmm. . . this is really odd. I’ve taken ZMA for quite some time and I sleep like a rock. I’ve never had to get up and piss or anything.

I do experience the dreams, but I kinda like that part.

-Matt

[quote]slimsaw00 wrote:
hmmm. . . this is really odd. I’ve taken ZMA for quite some time and I sleep like a rock. I’ve never had to get up and piss or anything.

I do experience the dreams, but I kinda like that part.

-Matt[/quote]

Same here…I sleep like a rock for two full REM cycles, 3.5-4 hrs a piece.

I take my ZMA on an empty stomach, and I wake up more, but I feel more refreshed the next day than I do whilst not taking ZMA and sleeping the whole night.

I’ve too experienced full bladder really more often since I started taking ZMA. Before, I never ever had to wake up at night to use bathroom, now I usually wake up around 4-6am to pee. But it seems to have mildened a bit. Maybe my bladder is getting bigger or my body’s getting used to all that Mg and Zn.

I usually pop my ZMAs about an hour before going to sleep, and 15min before bed I eat some dairy procuts.

[quote]Lapo wrote:
I’ve too experienced full bladder really more often since I started taking ZMA. Before, I never ever had to wake up at night to use bathroom, now I usually wake up around 4-6am to pee. But it seems to have mildened a bit. Maybe my bladder is getting bigger or my body’s getting used to all that Mg and Zn.

I usually pop my ZMAs about an hour before going to sleep, and 15min before bed I eat some dairy procuts.[/quote]

Ca inhibits Zn and Mg absorption. Might rethink that dairy before bed.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Lapo wrote:

I usually pop my ZMAs about an hour before going to sleep, and 15min before bed I eat some dairy procuts.

Ca inhibits Zn and Mg absorption. Might rethink that dairy before bed.[/quote]

But supposedly waiting 30-45 minutes after taking it to eat allows for full absorption

Yeah, this is b.s…i stopped taking it all together and didn’t have to wake up to pee. Thanks for the advice on the 2 p.m. intake…i’ll give it a try.

Guess I’ll just stick with valerian root to catch better z’s.

Been taking it for almost a year now and it certainly is a must for anybody remotely interested in building a better body. The T levels shoot dramatically, it prevents you from catching cold (Featured in a “spot the fake” of last year) and it is essential minerals that all active (read athletic) people seems to be deficient in. For this alone, I recommend to make it a staple, even if you have to squeeze it sometime during the day.

I had my bladder sown back after a car crash, so I can’t really say that I wake up for a whiz because of the ZMA. I fail to see how Zinc would make your bladder fuller but I have a theory about you waking up; Your body wasn’t accustomed to having that frequency of stiffies and associated them with a full bladder. Now, when you take the ZMA, T levels increase, you get wood more often and subsequently your body thinks your bladder is full when it isn’t really. Only one way to check: Measure the amount of piss on ZMA and off ZMA.