ZMA for Teenagers?

My last order from T-Nation included ZMA. I bought it primarily because Thibs recommended it, without taking much time to look into it. His reason for taking it was to help with CNS recovery, which sounded reasonable.

When it arrived today I took a closer look at it and realized that its main purpose was to increase anabolic hormones?!

When it comes to supplements and hormones I’m a bit of a noob. I know that a lot of things can increase hormones and are perfectly healthy but ZMA claims to be able to raise T by up to 30%.

I am a 17 year old male. I am wondering if this is at all bad for me… in any way. I don’t want to take ZMA if there are reasonable risks or side effects that may come along with it. Or am I just over-thinking this whole thing?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

I just did a little more reading and am wondering if I should be concerned about ZMA affecting my acne.

Allay your fears young padawan. While I have my doubts that ZMA will raise your T levels to any significance, it will help you sleep more deeply and make you less prone to colds and flu.

It may put your hormones back in balance. Zinc and Magnesium are used by the body. For weight lifters, they are usually deficient in these compounds. This will in turn affect the way fats are used, which in turn affect the way the body produces hormones.

Acne is brought about by the pH imbalance of the oils your skin produce, allowing bacteria to prosper. Wash your face with a pH neutral agent.

Sleep well.

[quote]Foenix wrote:
I just did a little more reading and am wondering if I should be concerned about ZMA affecting my acne.[/quote]

yes the zma will make your acne worse i took it and a few weeks later i started to notice pimples on my back and chest, im 21 and havent had pimples in 3-4 years. i stopped taking them for a while and the pimples went away, but i do believe they worked great for putting me to sleep so i got a prescription soap and started taking them again its been about 6 months now with no pimples.
hope this helped

I bought ZMA trying to hit the $150 marker for free shipping.

What it did for me?
Great sleep, crazy dreams…
Increase in hormonal type acne
(cystic, jawline, chest, shoulders).

Of course I was too naive to stop taking it. After my bottle ran out, things started clearing again.

It’s odd that ZMA affects acne, since zinc and magnesium are anti-acne agents, according to an article on “The Clear Skin Diet”

Thanks guys. This helps a lot.

I think I’m going to give it to a friend of mine though. My acne is already pretty bad. And my friend has been working out really hard lately and I know he has trouble sleeping.

If my acne improves I will defienetly get another shipment.

Thanks again.

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
It’s odd that ZMA affects acne, since zinc and magnesium are anti-acne agents, according to an article on “The Clear Skin Diet”[/quote]

I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve heard of people having worsened acne while taking ZMA before. Does anyone really know why this happens?

[quote]Foenix wrote:
Thanks guys. This helps a lot.

I think I’m going to give it to a friend of mine though. My acne is already pretty bad. And my friend has been working out really hard lately and I know he has trouble sleeping.

If my acne improves I will defienetly get another shipment.

Thanks again.[/quote]

You’re a fool. Seriously. I wonder how you function in this world believing everything that you read.

personaly,
i try to stay away from hormon treatment unless its highly supervised, body sometimes has to do what it does

Foenix… are you afraid of using (pH balanced) soap?

Footballer90… what in the hell are you taking about? Hormone treatment? Zinc and magnesium? You know that stuff is in just about every multi-vitamin, right? Your ignorance is astounding.

Watch out for ZMA rage too!
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1265204

But in all seriousness, I was even cutting dairy back a lot when I was taking ZMA and still had hormonal acne from it.

I do now, however, take a cheap 50mg zinc pill with some fish oil before bed. I’m not trying to get the same benefits from it as I would with ZMA, but am taking it because I believe I do have a zinc deficiency.

[quote]Dirty_Bulk wrote:

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
It’s odd that ZMA affects acne, since zinc and magnesium are anti-acne agents, according to an article on “The Clear Skin Diet”[/quote]

I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve heard of people having worsened acne while taking ZMA before. Does anyone really know why this happens?[/quote]

testosterone in teenagers causes acne

so if acne gong worst then your skin in sensitive to testosterone more acne=more testosterone is pumpung in your veins

I don’t think that’s it.

[quote]Anabolic and Catabolic Hormones

Figure 2 shows changes in anabolic and catabolic hormones observed between the two groups during the study. No significant differences were seen between groups in mean IGF-1 (P -25.7 ± 60; ZMA 0.2 ± 41 ng/mL, p = 0.23), total testosterone (P -0.12 ± 1.3; ZMA -0.47 ± 0.9 ng/mL, p = 0.50), free testosterone (P -1.62 ± 5.5; ZMA -1.68 ± 5.3 pg/mL, p = 0.96), cortisol (P -1.06 ± 5.2; ZMA 0.41 ± 6.3 μg/dL, p = 0.54), total testosterone to cortisol ratio (P -0.014 ± 0.14; ZMA -0.011 ± 0.2, p = 0.97), or growth hormone (P 0.03 ± 0.19; ZMA 0.01 ± 0.13 ng/mL = 0.78).
[/quote]

Thanks for bumping a 3-year-old post.

[quote]adityajuneja wrote:

[quote]Dirty_Bulk wrote:

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
It’s odd that ZMA affects acne, since zinc and magnesium are anti-acne agents, according to an article on “The Clear Skin Diet”[/quote]

I’m wondering the same thing. I’ve heard of people having worsened acne while taking ZMA before. Does anyone really know why this happens?[/quote]

testosterone in teenagers causes acne

so if acne gong worst then your skin in sensitive to testosterone more acne=more testosterone is pumpung in your veins[/quote]

If that was in English Im sure it would still sound just as retarded.