ZMA - Burping Up Smoke

I regularly take ZMA before bed and do my best to take it on an empty stomach, however occasionally about 10-15 mins after taking it I will literally burp up smoke. Generally, this seems to happen when my stomach is very, very empty versus when there is a little substance in there. Nothing more than a relatively small burp, but there is very visible smoke exhaled.

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if anyone could help me understand what might be going on to cause this?

drink some water.

For the most part, I always take my ZMA on an empty stomach and haven’t had the experience of burping up “smoke”.

This might be a really stupid question, but you’re not a smoker are you?

I’ve had this happen before. It’s not smoke. It is the powder in the capsules. I don’t have any good theories on the specifics of how it happens though.

bpeck

It is probably breaking open in your esophagus, try drinking more water while taking the pill to get it into your stomach.

I’ve heard of a couple of people having similar problems. It’s usually the same folks that swallow the pills by themselves, without water.

Try a full 16 ounces of water with your ZMA. That should solve it. I also usually “chase” my ZMA with 3-6 BCAAs and it seems to help send it down.

If ZMA is in powder form thats the gel capsule dissolving in your throat. Not smoke.

Thanks for the input.

To clarify,
No I am not a smoker, although what I am describing is exactly the same effect (I have smoked in the past). take two capsules of ZMA and always wash it down with water, probably on average being around 8oz.

I highly doubt the pills are getting stuck in my throat and not making their way down to my stomach. This “smoke” I am describing, although not smoke in the sense of actual combustion taking place, is very, very similar - i.e. not powder from the capsules or the gel capsule itself.

Thanks again for the input. Sounds like a little more water should resolve this. Although I am still curious what might be going on!

Actually, this is exactly what’s going on.

The gelatin capsule is getting stuck somewhere between your mouth and stomach and you’re simply “burping up” some of the powder.

So there are people out there who actually think that it is a good idea to swallow capsules without water? Amazing.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
EPIC_chris wrote:I highly doubt the pills are getting stuck in my throat and not making their way down to my stomach. This “smoke” I am describing, although not smoke in the sense of actual combustion taking place, is very, very similar - i.e. not powder from the capsules or the gel capsule itself.

The gelatin capsule is getting stuck somewhere between your mouth and stomach and you’re simply “burping up” some of the powder.[/quote]

Yep, this has happened to me several times with ZMA. It can be avoided by chasing it with a bit of food or with plenty of water.

Its happened with my Magnesium sup before, tastes awful. First time it happend I had been taking HRX for the first time and it scared the poop out of me.

That is absolutely crazy. I’ve never heard of that before. If I hadn’t read this thread and it happened to me, I’d freak the hell out.

Perhaps it’s a little bit of you dissolving,… BURP BY BURP!

Happened to me with BCAA’s. Powder shooting out of my nose, eyes watering, hacking that nasty tasting stuff up for 10 minutes. Horrible experience.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
EPIC_chris wrote:I highly doubt the pills are getting stuck in my throat and not making their way down to my stomach. This “smoke” I am describing, although not smoke in the sense of actual combustion taking place, is very, very similar - i.e. not powder from the capsules or the gel capsule itself.

The gelatin capsule is getting stuck somewhere between your mouth and stomach and you’re simply “burping up” some of the powder.[/quote]

i second that… that is exactly what is happening.

it used to happen to me with other vitamins.

it would get lodged in my esophagus, at some point before my stomach, then a few minutes later as the casing would dissolve i would burp out a cloud of white smoke.

[quote]EPIC_chris wrote:
Generally, this seems to happen when my stomach is very, very empty versus when there is a little substance in there. [/quote]

Just stop letting your stomach get “very, very empty” and problem solved.

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
Its happened with my Magnesium sup before, tastes awful. First time it happend I had been taking HRX for the first time and it scared the poop out of me. [/quote]

Rofl. Nice.

I burped up a small white cloud of smoke while driving that scared the crud out of me. I had taken my handful of daily vitamins on a semi empty stomach. After reading this blog I am relieved to know I may not necessarily be on the Truman show. I burped out my nose so the smoke landed on my chest and I thought I was on fire. I don’t smoke so I was dumbfounded by where it was coming from. I beat my chest up thinking I was putting out a flame but there was nothing there and the smoke disapated pretty quickly. Imagine the rest of my car ride home was filled with doubt of my mental sanity - lol.

lol - I HATE it when this happens. I’ve had multiple different supplements get a little stuck in my esophagus - any burp or cough and out comes the smoke.
The ZMA burns like a BITCH though… water alone doesn’t do it for me if it feels stuck though. Usually, I’ll eat a banana or few nuts, something to knock that bitch down into my stomach.