ZMA and Insomnia

I take ZMA before I go to bed, but recently I have been having some real problems sleeping. I don’t think the ZMA have anything to do with it, but seeing as the label tells you to take them before sleep I was wondering whether they are having less of an effect if I take them then don’t sleep for hours on end.

Also, can I take ZMA along with herbal remedies like valerian root, to try and sort the problem?

I’m an insomniac as well. ZMA has never personally helped or hurt my sleep efforts at all. I’m not sure why the guidelines are before bedtime, maybe someone more knowledgeable can address this.

Have you ever tried Melatonin? These have been helping me a lot since I stopped smoking pot to get to sleep. I have to sometimes kick it up to 6 mg, when the regular dosage is 3 mg, but my body’s been handling it quite well, and I’d recommend it to any insomniac.

valerian root makes me feel like shit, but i dont think there would be any sort of harmful interaction with the ZMA.

Ive been problems lately as well. What works well for me is a little cocktail of valerian, ZMA, melatonin, 5-htp and a glass of warm milk with a little honey.

magnesium is a natural sedative. zinc and b6 work with it. make sure to take it on a empty stomach. i found its best to take it an hour or an hour and a half before bed. or 45 mins before your last meal.

Allegedly Biotest has a solid sleep aid.

[quote]Steve8867 wrote:
[/quote]

Is that Z-12? Is it any good?

I took ZMA and Valerian root last night, and I got a pretty fitful night’s sleep, but better than usual. It always gives me that groggy feeling the next morning though.

I’ve not heard of melatonin, is it a drug? Any problems training while taking it?

Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone. I take three ZMA and melatonin approximately an hour before bed time.

Christopher

[quote]Steve8867 wrote:
[/quote]

I have prescription sleep aids, but I also bought some Z-12 to try it out. I don’t take both at the same time, of course.

Z-12 seems like it enhances sleep quality, but in my estimation does relatively little to actually assist in falling asleep. Maybe it’s because I take the 2-capsule dose, and not 3 caps.

If I had to sum it up, basically I feel like my sleep was very productive after I take Z-12, but for someone who has a hard time falling asleep, it’s more important just to get there. Fuck the quality-- quality doesn’t matter if you’re not sleeping.

Zinc gives me and my mom (her experience was from Coldeze lozenges) zany dreams and disrupts our sleep if we take it too close to bed. Try taking it an hour before bed instead of right before bed, that may help.

While Mg is a natural sedative, if you are sensitive to the zinc, it may override any sedative effect the Mg has. I still take mine, but I also have to take 2mg of Klonapin to sleep, so that negates the effect of zinc on sleep disruption.

I have terrible insomnia. I’ve taken both Z-12 and ZMA. Both seemed to make the problem worse.

Melatonin works now and then.

try ghr by red dawn that shit is awesome for insomnia. i havent had a dream in years then i started taking the ghr and had good results with that shit. melatonin is also great

[quote]johnconkle wrote:
Steve8867 wrote:
Z-12 seems like it enhances sleep quality, but in my estimation does relatively little to actually assist in falling asleep. Maybe it’s because I take the 2-capsule dose, and not 3 caps.
[/quote]

That is true.

Three ZMA’s do it for me when I can’t sleep.

i take ZMA before bed gives me some really strange dreams.

[quote]Roundhead wrote:
Steve8867 wrote:

I’ve not heard of melatonin, is it a drug? Any problems training while taking it?[/quote]

Melatonin is a natural hormone produced by your body. it helps calibrate your sleep/wake cycle based on your circadian rhythm. I find if I take 3mg of it at 10pm, at 11 I feel like It’s 5am.

Sometimes you can wake up groggy.

you can try Theanine too if you like. 200mg before bed. it’s a chemical in green tea that relaxes you

I’ve been mixing L-Theanine at 200mg with my caffeine free green tea at night and I sleep like a baby.

Try some Rooibos tea.