T Nation

ZMA And Calcium

I frequently have a pint of milk before bed. I want to get some ZMA, but have heard that you can’t mix it with calcium.

I am struggling to think of a meal where I don’t get a lot of calcium in.
Can I drink milk and then have the ZMA an hour later?
Calcium cancels out the magnesium, but does it also cancel the zinc out of interest?

[quote]Mad Irish wrote:
I frequently have a pint of milk before bed. I want to get some ZMA, but have heard that you can’t mix it with calcium.

I am struggling to think of a meal where I don’t get a lot of calcium in.
Can I drink milk and then have the ZMA an hour later?
Calcium cancels out the magnesium, but does it also cancel the zinc out of interest?[/quote]

Take the ZMA at least 30, preferably 45-60 min prior to a meal or 3-4 hours after a meal containing calcium.

Great question, I have been curious what the best way to balance my night time cottage cheese and ZMA.

I take my ZMA an hour before bed and drink a shake of milk, cottage cheese and Grow! on my way to bed. Seems to be working well for me and it gives the ZMA time to get thru the system so it doesn’t cause the stomach problems I sometimes have with it.

[quote]Cy Willson wrote:
Take the ZMA at least 30, preferably 45-60 min prior to a meal or 3-4 hours after a meal containing calcium.[/quote]
Is 3-4 hours necessary to wait? I generally wait about 2 hours, is that good enough? I usually drink a protein shake about 10:30, take my ZMA about 12:30, and drink another shake before bed about 1:15.

[quote]kevink00 wrote:
Cy Willson wrote:
Take the ZMA at least 30, preferably 45-60 min prior to a meal or 3-4 hours after a meal containing calcium.
Is 3-4 hours necessary to wait? I generally wait about 2 hours, is that good enough? I usually drink a protein shake about 10:30, take my ZMA about 12:30, and drink another shake before bed about 1:15.

[/quote]

Well, I’m simply basing the idea on what qualifies as an “empty stomach” in which the general rule is what I stated. While 3-4 hours would be preferred, I’m sure 2 hours is still of high benefit.