Ziploc Zip n Steam Bags

[quote]skinnymuscles wrote:
the website has a whole questions and answers section that seems to indicate they are completely safe. Am I really putting myself at risk by using them?[/quote]

Listen, the reason most of America is in the fucking tank is because of all the fast food and junk shit that most of the population puts in their body, not because of some trivial microwaving of food. Those studies are crap. Certainly microwaving just doesn't work for some foods, it's more a good way to reheat and cook certain micro friendly foods. Healthy food choice is a hell of a lot more important than getting your panties in a bunch over a frickin microwave.

The microwave "dangers" associated with food are complete bunk and anyone with half a brain and common sense is fully aware that it's been exhaustingly tested and proven safe for years. The argument that it isn't is just plain wrong. 
      Using regular plastics/tupperware IS NOT good for you. Some newer plastics,ie;the bags, and certain "microwave safe" plastics are debateable, but claimed to be pretty harmless. I simply don't nuke anything in a plastic container, but rather a glass or ceramic bowl. I have used the new micro bagged veggies and they worked fine, and I'm still here. 

I don't know anyone who is saying to use it for everything under the sun, but use it for some things yeah for sure. I mostly steam my veggies, and eat raw also. But I will nuke some items mostly for reheating purposes, and I like zillions of other Americans who eat HEALTY food, haven't dropped out of excellent health yet at 43 years of age.

Go smoke a bowl and relax dude.

ToneBone

[quote]skinnymuscles wrote:
the website has a whole questions and answers section that seems to indicate they are completely safe. Am I really putting myself at risk by using them?[/quote]

At risk of wasting your money. Use a glass bowl. Save your money. Save the environment. This is just another unnecessary wasteful invention.

[quote]InTheZone wrote:
skinnymuscles wrote:
the website has a whole questions and answers section that seems to indicate they are completely safe. Am I really putting myself at risk by using them?

Listen, the reason most of America is in the fucking tank is because of all the fast food and junk shit that most of the population puts in their body, not because of some trivial microwaving of food. Those studies are crap. Certainly microwaving just doesn't work for some foods, it's more a good way to reheat and cook certain micro friendly foods. Healthy food choice is a hell of a lot more important than getting your panties in a bunch over a frickin microwave.

The microwave "dangers" associated with food are complete bunk and anyone with half a brain and common sense is fully aware that it's been exhaustingly tested and proven safe for years. The argument that it isn't is just plain wrong. 
      Using regular plastics/tupperware IS NOT good for you. Some newer plastics,ie;the bags, and certain "microwave safe" plastics are debateable, but claimed to be pretty harmless. I simply don't nuke anything in a plastic container, but rather a glass or ceramic bowl. I have used the new micro bagged veggies and they worked fine, and I'm still here. 

I don't know anyone who is saying to use it for everything under the sun, but use it for some things yeah for sure. I mostly steam my veggies, and eat raw also. But I will nuke some items mostly for reheating purposes, and I like zillions of other Americans who eat HEALTY food, haven't dropped out of excellent health yet at 43 years of age.

ToneBone[/quote]

I am relaxed and calm and certainly don’t have my panties in a bunch but when you try to come off and tell people some BS I will simply post a link to the studies. Please feel free to post some studies showing they are 100% safe. Microwave-safe foods? Are you serious? Can you microwabe your food for years before you drop dead? Absolutely. You can smoke 2 packs a day too. You can eat fast food every day for years. You can drink a 12 pack a day and live quite a long time. Its all about quality of life. Eating microwaved food adds to the overall toxic burden of your body. Thats my point. Eat away if you feel like it but if someone has a question don’t spout off with “anyone with a brain or high intellect” BS, its simply not true. But do what you want with your life man.

I tend to take 30+ year old research, as well as studies conducted by Nazis, with a grain of salt.

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
I think the real issue here is the fact that nobody knows how to cook anymore, or at least nobody seems to care about flavor. Sure, microwaving veggies in a bag is convenient, but you can’t tell me that it doesn’t taste like a blow-up doll’s asshole. Why in god’s name would you do that when you can saute or steam your veggies in less than ten minutes. And then, at least you know that they are fresh.

Microwaves are useful for leftovers and whatnot, but cooking with one is just plain wrong. It’s the same as masturbation: yeah, the end result is the same, but the real thing is just that much better.[/quote]

Well, that’s the EXACT reason I microwave veggies…can’t beat the robust flavor of the “blow up doll’s asshole.”

Ever seen full metal jacket?

“Mmmmmmmmm good!”
“Mmmmmmmmm good!”
“Good for you!”
“Good for you!”
“Good for me!”
“Good for me!”

Haha I think they were singing about something a little different, what a great movie. What were we talking about again?

[quote]storey420 wrote:
InTheZone wrote:
skinnymuscles wrote:
the website has a whole questions and answers section that seems to indicate they are completely safe. Am I really putting myself at risk by using them?

ToneBone

I am relaxed and calm and certainly don’t have my panties in a bunch but when you try to come off and tell people some BS I will simply post a link to the studies. Please feel free to post some studies showing they are 100% safe. Microwave-safe foods? Are you serious? Can you microwabe your food for years before you drop dead? Absolutely. You can smoke 2 packs a day too. You can eat fast food every day for years. You can drink a 12 pack a day and live quite a long time. Its all about quality of life. Eating microwaved food adds to the overall toxic burden of your body. Thats my point. Eat away if you feel like it but if someone has a question don’t spout off with “anyone with a brain or high intellect” BS, its simply not true. But do what you want with your life man.

[/quote]

You're the one telling people bullshit. I'm not about to waste my time dropping studies but if I did they sure wouldn't be outdated for starters. You are sitting here equating smoking two packs of smokes a day, eating fast food and boozing a 12 pack a day to microwaving food here and there. You're out there. And further you say you can do all these things and still "live a long time"...ha,hahaaa. Yeah some people can, but have you not seen how many are getting diagnosed with diabetes and dropping from leukiemia and other cancers lately? Well guess what Einstein? That's not from microwaved food. Eating microwaved food doesn't do diddly shit compared to the other things you mentioned and the toxins coming from additives and the environment you twit.

You my friend, simply don't know what the fuck you're talking about, plain and simple. You post up some old fucked up studies from the 50's and russia etc. Yeah your brilliance is blinding dude. You need to research the subject better than a seventh grader and then reevaluate your ridiculous take. But like you said, do what you want with your life and believe what you want.                 

[quote]InTheZone wrote:
storey420 wrote:
InTheZone wrote:
skinnymuscles wrote:

ToneBone

You're the one telling people bullshit. I'm not about to waste my time dropping studies but if I did they sure wouldn't be outdated for starters. You are sitting here equating smoking two packs of smokes a day, eating fast food and boozing a 12 pack a day to microwaving food here and there. You're out there. And further you say you can do all these things and still "live a long time"...ha,hahaaa. Yeah some people can, but have you not seen how many are getting diagnosed with diabetes and dropping from leukiemia and other cancers lately? Well guess what Einstein? That's not from microwaved food. Eating microwaved food doesn't do diddly shit compared to the other things you mentioned and the toxins coming from additives and the environment you twit.

You my friend, simply don't know what the fuck you're talking about, plain and simple. You post up some old fucked up studies from the 50's and russia etc. Yeah your brilliance is blinding dude. You need to research the subject better than a seventh grader and then reevaluate your ridiculous take. But like you said, do what you want with your life and believe what you want.                 [/quote]

Please prove your argument here in some fashion other than name calling and beating your chest.

“Yeah some people can, but have you not seen how many are getting diagnosed with diabetes and dropping from leukiemia and other cancers lately? Well guess what Einstein? That’s not from microwaved food. Eating microwaved food doesn’t do diddly shit compared to the other things you mentioned and the toxins coming from additives and the environment you twit.”

My argument was that, while not the smoking gun (nothing is, microwaving and destroying the nutritional value of our food, is ONE OF THE CONTRIBUTIONS to the various diseases on the rise due to adding to the general toxic load of the body. Also you do realize they microwave fast food, so yes there is a direct comparison. The studies indicate that byproducts of microwaving produce carcinogens, so yes that would mean a relation to something like smoking.

So since I need to research more (I will) I would suggest you graduate from the sixth grade and come up to seventh grade with me and at least pretend like you have researched AT ALL and post ONE study like what I requested.

[quote]storey420 wrote:
InTheZone wrote:
storey420 wrote:
InTheZone wrote:
skinnymuscles wrote:

ToneBone

You my friend, simply don't know what the fuck you're talking about, plain and simple. You post up some old fucked up studies from the 50's and russia etc. Yeah your brilliance is blinding dude. You need to research the subject better than a seventh grader and then reevaluate your ridiculous take. But like you said, do what you want with your life and believe what you want.                 

Please prove your argument here in some fashion other than name calling and beating your chest.

“Yeah some people can, but have you not seen how many are getting diagnosed with diabetes and dropping from leukiemia and other cancers lately? Well guess what Einstein? That’s not from microwaved food. Eating microwaved food doesn’t do diddly shit compared to the other things you mentioned and the toxins coming from additives and the environment you twit.”

My argument was that, while not the smoking gun (nothing is, microwaving and destroying the nutritional value of our food, is ONE OF THE CONTRIBUTIONS to the various diseases on the rise due to adding to the general toxic load of the body. Also you do realize they microwave fast food, so yes there is a direct comparison. The studies indicate that byproducts of microwaving produce carcinogens, so yes that would mean a relation to something like smoking.

So since I need to research more (I will) I would suggest you graduate from the sixth grade and come up to seventh grade with me and at least pretend like you have researched AT ALL and post ONE study like what I requested.

[/quote]

Ha,ha,haaaa...Yeah, ok, the fast food is far worse from the ratio of macronutrients and trans fats than the byproducts of "waving" them.  

You're killing me, tell you what, I'll just say you're right ok? It was the impecable studies you brought to the table that did it for me. I will cease to eat anything microwaved and never use one again.

You Rule dude.

Once again bobbing and weaving the request for research to back up your claim and trying to play it off like a high school chump and I’m the one that is supposed to be in seventh grade? Here is a more recent (since that was one of your detracting statements) study that more directly deals with the topic of this thread. I am searching for the actual published study. Dude don’t act like a little bitch when your arguments are challenged.

"As a seventh grade student, Claire Nelson learned that di(ethylhexyl)adepate (DEHA), considered a carcinogen, is found in plastic wrap. She also learned that the FDA had never studied the effect of microwave cooking on plastic-wrapped food. Three years later, with encouragement from her high school science teacher, Claire set out to test what the FDA had not.

Although she had an idea for studying the effect of microwave radiation on plastic wrapped food, she did not have the equipment. Eventually, Dr. Jon Wilkes at the National Center for Toxicological Research agreed to help her. The research center, which is affiliated with the FDA, let her use its facilities to perform her experiments, which involved microwaving plastic wrap in virgin olive oil.

Claire tested four different plastic wraps and “found not just the carcinogens but also xenoestrogen was migrating [into the oil]…” Xenoestrogens are linked to low sperm counts in men and to breast cancer in women. Throughout her junior and senior years, Claire made a couple of trips each week to the research center, which was 25 miles from her home, to work on her experiment. An article in Options reported “her analysis found that DEHA was migrating into the oil at between 200 parts and 500 parts per million. The FDA standard is 0.05 parts per billion.”

Her summarized results have been published in science journals. Claire Nelson received the American Chemical Society’s top science prize for students during her junior year and fourth place at the International Science and Engineering Fair (Fort Worth,Texas) as a senior. “Carcinogens --At 10,000,000 Times FDA Limits” Options, May 2000. Published by People Against Cancer, 515-972-4444"

[quote]storey420 wrote:
Once again bobbing and weaving the request for research to back up your claim and trying to play it off like a high school chump and I’m the one that is supposed to be in seventh grade? Here is a more recent (since that was one of your detracting statements) study that more directly deals with the topic of this thread. I am searching for the actual published study. Dude don’t act like a little bitch when your arguments are challenged.

"As a seventh grade student, Claire Nelson learned that di(ethylhexyl)adepate (DEHA), considered a carcinogen, is found in plastic wrap. She also learned that the FDA had never studied the effect of microwave cooking on plastic-wrapped food. Three years later, with encouragement from her high school science teacher, Claire set out to test what the FDA had not.

Although she had an idea for studying the effect of microwave radiation on plastic wrapped food, she did not have the equipment. Eventually, Dr. Jon Wilkes at the National Center for Toxicological Research agreed to help her. The research center, which is affiliated with the FDA, let her use its facilities to perform her experiments, which involved microwaving plastic wrap in virgin olive oil.

Claire tested four different plastic wraps and “found not just the carcinogens but also xenoestrogen was migrating [into the oil]…” Xenoestrogens are linked to low sperm counts in men and to breast cancer in women. Throughout her junior and senior years, Claire made a couple of trips each week to the research center, which was 25 miles from her home, to work on her experiment. An article in Options reported “her analysis found that DEHA was migrating into the oil at between 200 parts and 500 parts per million. The FDA standard is 0.05 parts per billion.”

Her summarized results have been published in science journals. Claire Nelson received the American Chemical Society’s top science prize for students during her junior year and fourth place at the International Science and Engineering Fair (Fort Worth,Texas) as a senior. “Carcinogens --At 10,000,000 Times FDA Limits” Options, May 2000. Published by People Against Cancer, 515-972-4444"

[/quote]
Namecalling eh? But your punk ass is going to call me a bitch???

You're a fucking idiot.

Radiation, microwaves and cancer
What is radiation? Could the radiation used in a microwave oven cause cancer?

Microwave ovens don�??t make foods radioactive. They just heat them. If you use a microwave oven in the correct way there is no known harmful effect on humans. But people still tend to worry. Understanding the different types of radiation may help to reassure you that cooking in a microwave is not dangerous and won�??t cause cancer. There is information below about the different types of radiation, and more about cooking in a microwave at the bottom of the page.

Radiation is the release of energy from any source. There are many different sources of energy around us. For example, our bodies give off heat, which is a form of energy. There is also energy released from everyday things such as

Household electrical appliances
Heaters
The sun and
X-ray machines
Not all radiation is harmful. It depends on the type of radiation and how much exposure to it you have. There are several types of radiation. All of which can be grouped under either

Ionising radiation
Non-ionising radiation
Ionising radiation
This is what most people mean when they talk about �??radiation�??. This type of radiation is made of high-energy waves. It is quite a complicated process. But the end result is the energy can get into cells and chemically change the way the cell works. This is called ionisation. As we know from medical tests, very small amounts of ionising radiation don�??t do us too much harm. But too much can cause burns, radiation sickness and cancer.

The genetic material of a cell (known as DNA) is very sensitive to ionising radiation. DNA is a code of all the genes that carry the instructions for how our body works and its characteristics. For example, there is a gene to tell the body to have brown hair or blue eyes.

Ionising radiation can change a cell�??s DNA. If this happens, then that cell�??s inbuilt instructions about how to live and grow are jumbled about. It is then possible for the cell to do something very different from what it’s been programmed to do. For example, it may become cancerous and keep reproducing in an uncontrolled way. This could take years to happen but it still means that a cancer may eventually develop.

There is more information about �??the cancer cell�?? in the about cancer section of CancerHelp UK.

Ionising radiation can damage any cell in the body. But it all depends on how much radiation the cell gets. There are 3 main types of ionising radiation that you may be exposed to. Too much of any of them can harm the body. They are

Natural background radiation
Medical radiation
Non medical radiation
Natural background radiation
We are constantly being exposed to ionising radiation from natural sources. It comes from

Radioactive substances in the soil
Radioactive gases given off from the earth such as radon
Very small amounts of radioactivity in the body
Cosmic rays from the solar system (the sun, stars and outer space)
Medical radiation
The use of radiation in medicine includes

Diagnostic radiology which includes using X-ray machines to get pictures of the inside of the body
Nuclear medicine which involves drinking a radioactive substance or injecting it into the body to help with diagnosing or treating diseases and
Radiotherapy which uses high energy rays to kill cancer cells
Non-medical radiation
This includes nuclear radiation that comes from previous nuclear weapon explosions or accidents throughout the world, such as that at Chernobyl.

Non-ionising radiation
Non-ionising radiation has enough energy to move things around inside a cell but not enough to change cells chemically. The radiation from a microwave oven is non-ionising. Other examples include

Ultraviolet rays from the sun or sunbeds
Electromagnetic fields
Radio waves
Radiation waves given off from household electrical appliances, heaters, mobile phones with or without headsets and computers and their screens
The only type of non-ionising radiation that we know can cause cancer is over exposure to ultraviolet rays, which causes skin cancer.

There is research going on into other types of ionising radiation and any possible link to cancer. There is information on CancerHelp UK into the investigation of cancer risk and electromagnetic fields, mobile phones and computer screens.

How microwaves heat food
We do understand how microwave ovens heat food. The radiation they produce is absorbed by water molecules in the food. This makes the water molecules vibrate and produce heat, which cooks the food. Any modern day microwave oven in good condition is perfectly safe as long as you follow the instructions for use.

Studies have looked at the possible link between microwave ovens and cancer. Some results suggest there may be a link but other studies haven�??t been able to prove this at all. Microwaves do produce a magnetic field while they are in use. This drops sharply the further you are from the oven and doesn’t last long as you tend to cook in microwaves for very short periods. Most experts say that microwave ovens don�??t give off enough energy to damage the genetic material (DNA) in cells so they can�??t cause cancer.

Although microwaves are safe to use it is important to point out that cooking in them can affect the nutritional value of some foods, for example, fruit and vegetables. But nutrients are lost when heating foods in any way - boiling, grilling, frying or even steaming. The Food Standards Agency (an independent food safety watchdog set up by the Government) say that the amount of nutrients lost when cooking with a microwave is similar to other cooking methods. As long as you don’t over cook foods, microwaving can actually be quite a healthy way to cook, as it uses only a little water. The best way to keep as many nutrients as possible in fruit and vegetables is to use as little water as you can and not over cook them

The Health Protection Agency Radiation Protection Division is an independent body that advises the Government about health risks associated with radiation. They also have information for the public. Their website has a section about radiation.

The kid microwaved plastic wrap. This has been discussed before. Just because doing something stupid is dangerous, doesn’t mean the whole microwave is a cancer making machine. spraying oil at a pan while its on a stove could cause the oil to ignite. Stupid, but it doesn’t mean that stove tops are inherently harmful or going to set fire to everything all the time. (I’m tired - couldn’t think of a better analogy).

However, I am open minded - if you DO have more recent studies showing that heating things in ceramic / glass is dangerous / carcinogenic I’d be very interested.

Dan

[quote]danchubb wrote:
The kid microwaved plastic wrap. This has been discussed before. Just because doing something stupid is dangerous, doesn’t mean the whole microwave is a cancer making machine. spraying oil at a pan while its on a stove could cause the oil to ignite. Stupid, but it doesn’t mean that stove tops are inherently harmful or going to set fire to everything all the time. (I’m tired - couldn’t think of a better analogy).

However, I am open minded - if you DO have more recent studies showing that heating things in ceramic / glass is dangerous / carcinogenic I’d be very interested.

Dan[/quote]

Exactly, those studies aren't a viable argument. Here's what wilkpedia has to say about them also.

Safety and controversy
The dominant view has been that microwaved food is safe to eat. Microwave ovens have become a fairly standard item in most western homes. Microwaving food is fast, energy efficient, and arguably is healthier than traditional means of cooking. Even those who take this view still concede a number of potential safety issues.

[edit] Safety benefits
Commercial microwave ovens all use a timer in their standard operating mode; when the timer runs out, the oven turns itself off.

Microwave ovens heat food without getting hot themselves. Taking a pot off a stove, with the exception of an induction cooktop, leaves a potentially dangerous heating element or trivet that will stay hot for some time. Likewise, when taking a casserole out of a conventional oven, one’s arms are exposed to the very hot walls of the oven. A microwave oven does not pose this problem.

Food and cookware taken out of a microwave oven is rarely much hotter than 100 °C (212 °F). Cookware used in a microwave oven is often much cooler than the food because the microwaves heat the food directly and the cookware is heated by the food. Food and cookware from a conventional oven, on the other hand, are the same temperature as the rest of the oven; a typical cooking temperature is 180 °C (360 °F). That means that conventional stoves and ovens can cause more serious burns.

The lower temperature of cooking (the boiling point of water) is a significant safety benefit compared to baking in the oven or frying, because it eliminates the formation of tars and char, which are carcinogenic. Microwave radiation also penetrates deeper than direct heat, so that the food is heated by its own internal water content. In contrast, direct heat can fry the surface while the inside is still cold. Pre-heating the food in a microwave oven before putting it into the grill or pan reduces the time needed to heat up the food and reduces the formation of carcinogenic char.

[edit] Uneven heating, deliberate and otherwise
In a microwave oven, food may be heated for so short a time that it is cooked unevenly, since heat requires time to diffuse through food, and microwaves only penetrate to a limited depth. Microwave ovens are frequently used for reheating previously cooked food, and bacterial contamination may not be killed if the safe temperature is not reached, resulting in foodborne illness.

Uneven heating in microwaved food is partly due to the uneven distribution of microwave energy inside the oven, and partly due to the different rates of energy absorption in different parts of the food. The first problem is reduced by a stirrer, a type of fan that reflects microwave energy to different parts of the oven as it rotates, or by a turntable or carousel that turns the food; turntables, however, may still leave spots, such as the center of the oven, which receive uneven energy distribution.

The second problem is due to food composition and geometry, and must be addressed by the cook by arranging the food so that it absorbs energy evenly, and periodically testing and shielding any parts of the food that overheat. In some materials with low thermal conductivity, where dielectric constant increases with temperature, microwave heating can cause localized thermal runaway. As an example, uneven heating in frozen foods is a particular problem, since ice absorbs microwave energy to a lesser extent than liquid water, leading to defrosted sections of food warming faster due to more rapid heat deposition there. Due to this phenomenon, microwave ovens set at too-high power levels may even start to cook the edges of the frozen food, while the inside of the food remains frozen. Another case of uneven heating can be observed in baked goods containing berries. In these items, the berries absorb more energy than the drier surrounding bread and also cannot dissipate the heat due to the low thermal conductivity of the bread. The result is frequently the overheating of the berries relative to the rest of the food. The low power levels which mark the “defrost” oven setting are designed to allow time for heat to be conducted from areas which absorb heat more readily to those which heat more slowly.

Microwave heating can be deliberately uneven by design. Some microwavable packages (notably pies) may contain ceramic or aluminum-flake containing materials which are designed to absorb microwaves and heat up which aids in baking or crust preparation. Such ceramic patches affixed to cardboard are positioned next to the food, and are typically smokey blue or gray in color, usually making them easily identifiable. Microwavable cardboard packaging may also contain overhead ceramic patches which function in the same way. The technical term for such a microwave-absorbing patch is a susceptor.

And here’s all about the “cancerous death rays” that storey says will do us all in…

Dangers

A microwaved DVD-R showing the effects of electrical discharge through its metal filmSee also: Microwave-related injury
This section needs additional citations for verification.
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
This section has been tagged since October 2007.

Liquids, when heated in a microwave oven in a container with a smooth surface, can superheat; that is, reach temperatures that are a few degrees in temperature above their normal boiling point, without actually boiling. The boiling process can start explosively when the liquid is disturbed, such as when the operator takes hold of the container to remove it from the oven or while adding impurities such as powdered creamer or sugar, and can then result in a violent burst of water and vapor resulting in liquid and steam burns. A common myth states that only distilled water can exhibit this behavior; this is not true.[2]

Closed containers and eggs can explode when heated in a microwave oven due to the pressure build-up of steam. Products that are heated too long can catch fire. Though this is inherent to any form of cooking, the rapid cooking and unattended nature of microwave oven use results in additional hazard. Microwave oven manuals frequently warn of such hazards, but many of them are difficult to foresee. Because the microwave oven’s cavity is enclosed and metal, fires are generally well contained. Simply switching off the oven and allowing the fire to consume available oxygen with the door closed will typically contain damage to the oven itself.

Any metal or conductive object placed into the microwave will act as an antenna to some degree, resulting in an electric current. This causes the object to act as a heating element. This effect varies with the object’s shape and composition.

Any object containing pointed metal can create an electric arc (cause sparks) when microwaved. This includes cutlery, aluminium foil, ceramics decorated with metal, and most anything containing any type of metal. Forks are a good example. This is because the tines of the fork resonate with the microwave radiation and produce high voltage at the tips. This has the effect of exceeding the dielectric breakdown of air, about 3 megavolts per meter (3�?106 V/m). The air forms a conductive plasma, which is visible as a spark. The plasma and the tines may then form a conductive loop, which may be a more effective antenna, resulting in a longer lived spark. Any time dielectric breakdown occurs in air, some ozone and nitrogen oxides are formed, both of which are toxic. Microwaving food containing an individual smooth metal object without pointed ends (for example, a spoon) usually does not produce sparking.

The effect can be seen clearly on a CD or DVD. The electric current heats the metal film, melting the plastic in the disc and leaving a visible pattern of concentric and radial scars. It can also be illustrated by placing a radiometer inside the cooking chamber, creating plasma inside the vacuum chamber.

A microwave oven with a metal shelfSeveral microwave fires have been noted where Chinese takeout boxes with a metal handle are microwaved. Twist ties containing metal wire and paper are also notoriously dangerous.

Another hazard is the resonance of the magnetron tube itself. If the microwave is run without an object to absorb the radiation, a standing wave will form. The energy is reflected back and forth between the tube and the cooking chamber. This may cause the tube to cook itself and burn out. Thus dehydrated food, or food wrapped in metal which does not arc, is problematic without being an obvious fire hazard.

Certain foods if carefully arranged can also produce arcing, such as grapes.[3] A naked flame, being made of conductive plasma, will do the same.

Further information: St. Elmo’s fire

[edit] Controversial hazards
Radiation
Some people are concerned with being exposed to the microwave radiation. According to the United States Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health, a U.S. Federal standard limits microwave leakage from an oven, for the lifetime of the device, to 5 milliwatts per square centimeter when measured 2 inches from the surface of the oven.[4] This is far below the exposure level that is currently considered to be harmful to human health.

The radiation produced by a microwave oven is non-ionizing. As such, it does not have the specific cancer risks associated with ionizing radiation such as X-rays, ultraviolet light, and high-energy particles. Any health problems would result from electric currents induced in the body, most prominently cataract formation. Long-term rodent studies to assess cancer risk have so far failed to clearly identify any carcinogenicity from 2.45 GHz microwave radiation at chronic (large fraction of life span) exposure levels, far larger than humans are likely to encounter even from leaking ovens.[5][6]

To put the radiation hazard into perspective, the formation of carcinogenic char in conventional frying pan or oven needs to be taken into account (see above). The carcinogens in char are toxicated into carcinogens that are radiomimetic (i.e. cause damage similar to ionizing radiation). Microwaving instead of frying or cooking in the oven eliminates this danger.

Believe what you want to. They wouldn't be in every frickin household if they were inherently dangerous to the public health. They are what they are, a complimentary tool for cooking/reheating food safely.

I just reread an earlier post - the whole russian study thing is all well and good but it has absolutely nothing to do with heating food.

Analogy (perhaps better than the last): H Bomb going off in your house is less than ideal. Smoke alarm is pretty handy - also often runs on radiation (an element discharges alpha particles which if intercepted by smoke breaks the circuit and causes an alarm if I remember my physics correctly). That is, while sitting on a microwave dish is less than ideal (or in a microwave oven) that doesn’t mean that microwaving food is dangerous - similarly, sitting in an oven is probably quite hazardous. Doesn’t mean it’s bad for my roast chicken - unless it ignites ;(

EDIT: just noticed this: 100 kilowatts/cm3/second

Most new microwaves run at around 1 kilowatt. Further, a ‘watt’ or ‘kilowatt’ already contains the ‘per second’ in it - it’s simply joules of energy per second. Therefore, the latter second is redundant. Rather worrying that they would get SI physics units wrong, assuming thats a direct copy paste job.

Further, even if it were 100 kilowatts / cm3, then thats in effect 1kilowatt for 100 seconds (sorry if my maths / physics is shoddy - late at night here). I don’t microwave 1 cm^3 of food, or 1 mL of water, for 100 seconds. As such, I’m rather confused by the whole premise behind the study.

Someone please correct me if I’m misinterpreting - seems a silly mistake for researchers to make.

No you’re correct Dan There are little to no university funded studies on microwaving food. Tons of independent research though. The point is that it certainly won’t kill you right away but it is damaging the overall structure of living tissue. Well actually there was that guy that died instantly when he received a blood transfusion that was microwaved but that is one incident, doubt there will be more studies on that! Not good.

Good post Zone. Here is an alternate viewpoint to the Health Protection Agency. Check it out TETRA: the science bit from the national research-based TETRA Airwave safety campaign

I didn’t say you were a bitch, just acting like one when debating.

[quote]storey420 wrote:
No you’re correct Dan There are little to no university funded studies on microwaving food. Tons of independent research though. The point is that it certainly won’t kill you right away but it is damaging the overall structure of living tissue. Well actually there was that guy that died instantly when he received a blood transfusion that was microwaved but that is one incident, doubt there will be more studies on that! Not good.

Good post Zone. Here is an alternate viewpoint to the Health Protection Agency. Check it out TETRA: the science bit from the national research-based TETRA Airwave safety campaign

I didn’t say you were a bitch, just acting like one when debating.[/quote]

Fair enough dude, let's just say we agree to disagree then. lol..

When I have some more time I will try and find a study I read that is highly respected and post that one, I'm busy with exams right now, and can't remember where I found it a while back at the moment though.
                  ToneBone

[quote]InTheZone wrote:
storey420 wrote:

I didn’t say you were a bitch, just acting like one when debating.

Fair enough dude, let's just say we agree to disagree then. lol..

When I have some more time I will try and find a study I read that is highly respected and post that one, I'm busy with exams right now, and can't remember where I found it a while back at the moment though.
                  ToneBone[/quote]

Sounds cool. I’d be down to read the study for sure. Good luck on the exams

All you clowns should read up on microwaves and learn how it is exactly that they ‘HEAT’ things. Rupturing and twisting molecules around so as when the ‘wave’ is done its thing you have a different mulecule arrangement(care bout protein? fo-ged aboud id)…just read if you really care about ur nutrition its not hard to understand and as always be critical of ur sources…budy above with all the russian 411 is right but we dont need to rely on russians.(not that there is anything wrong with that-much)

[quote]realalpha wrote:
All you clowns should read up on microwaves and learn how it is exactly that they ‘HEAT’ things. Rupturing and twisting molecules around so as when the ‘wave’ is done its thing you have a different mulecule arrangement(care bout protein? fo-ged aboud id)…just read if you really care about ur nutrition its not hard to understand and as always be critical of ur sources…budy above with all the russian 411 is right but we dont need to rely on russians.(not that there is anything wrong with that-much)[/quote]

Links please. To reputable data.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
storey420 wrote:
InTheZone wrote:
storey420 wrote:
Yeah the plastics aren’t cool, but dude, microwaving food is perfectly fine. That’s one of the biggest crocks of shit the status quo would have you believe. Any person of high intelligence will tell you this. It’s just as safe as any other convection or otherwise mode of cooking. Don’t be scared of it. It’s a compliment to the other ways to cook. Inside out, that’s it. Cooks very well and very quickly. Yeah it’s not for everything but it has its place. Show me people who are having problems with it since it came out…there are none.

ToneBone

Not sure if I understand, the “status quo” is using the microwaves and eating denatured food and breeding sickness. We, as a nation, have become sicker and weaker than ever in our recorded history. Actually there are thousands of researchers with “high intelligence” that feel that microwaving food is extremely detrimental to one’s health. As usual America is far behind other parts of the world in research in this area.

The Russians did research on thousands of workers who had been exposed to microwaves during the development of radar in the 1950�??s. Their research showed health problems so serious that the Russians set strict limits of 10 microwatts exposure for workers and one microwatt for civilians.

Microwaving people is bad. Microwaving food is fine.[/quote]

It’s telling that the “article” used data on direct exposure interchangeably with that of microwave foods.

I can say from experience that people don’t respond particularly well to direct exposure to the grill, the oven, nor the stovetop and they come back tough and stringy if you steam them.