Zero Carbing It?

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
Why high fat? No your body will be fine, probably incredibly weak though. I know the 1 week I managed to low carb diet I could barely stay awake for more then 3 hours at a time. Def. not my cup of tea. I prefer my tea green with lemon and honey. [/quote]

Following the get shredded diet, it calls for high fat.

So far everythings been good. Yesterday I had less than 5 carbs, today around 10. Had a decent workout today, strength doesn’t seem to be down at all although I’m not sure I could handle as much volume as I had been doing before.

Honesty I don’t care if I’m weak as shit for two months as long as when I do come back to eating normally my strength is the same/better. With the way its going so far I may even see strength gains!

Most of you guys in this thread are basically calling the principles of the AD crap, which we all know is not true. You can gain muscle on a low carb, high fat diet. You will not necessarily be weak on low carb. As some have said it’s different for everyone.

I also challenge anyone who says they take in 0 carbs. It is physically impossible unless you do not eat anything. Almost every food has a little bit of carbs in it, even if it’s just fiber. Yes there are some exceptions, but you can’t fill your entire diet with those exceptions. Hell every protein powder (except maybe isopure) has a couple grams of carbs in it. 30g a day is possible. 0g a day is not.

Currently the only carbs I’m getting come from greens+ eggs and meat, so there are very few.

I understand what youre saying, hopefully you got the point of the thread. I was intending to go as close to zero carbs as possible, realziing that its not exactly convenient. I mean it IS possible, but who wants to eat isopure and olive oil all day.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Most of you guys in this thread are basically calling the principles of the AD crap, which we all know is not true. You can gain muscle on a low carb, high fat diet. You will not necessarily be weak on low carb. As some have said it’s different for everyone.

I also challenge anyone who says they take in 0 carbs. It is physically impossible unless you do not eat anything. Almost every food has a little bit of carbs in it, even if it’s just fiber. Yes there are some exceptions, but you can’t fill your entire diet with those exceptions. Hell every protein powder (except maybe isopure) has a couple grams of carbs in it. 30g a day is possible. 0g a day is not.[/quote]

I started the AD 2 weeks ago and have to say i have so much more energy than ever before. I even feel a lot stronger already and im sure the key is to get a lot of calories in from the fats. Im trying to keep my carbs @ the 30g limit but even eggs have a gram of carbs and i eat 12 a day :-0
0 carbs is definately impossible unless you eat just meat and added fats with no veg or eggs,cheeses,whey etc.

Today I ate 6 pieces of KFC legs’n thighs and few cups of coffee (powder creamer + splenda)…and thats it! This is a good sample (2 chicken breasts, some cheese, some mushroom soup). The only carbs I get are from the chicken batter, the lactose in cheese, etc… I don’t count them becuz its basically a futile effort. I don’t eat bread, beans, basically nothing w/ obvious carbs unless its carb load day and its doughnuts, pasta, pizza, etc. I can say w/out a doubt that the increase in glucose levels lasts for days for me. I’ve lost 27lbs in the past 3 months and hope to compete in the 180lb class (currently 210) in august. I’ll for sure get in the 198 class, but we’ll see.

I think we may or may not have a problem. Here are my measurements before and after 6 days. There are some red flags that get thrown up here. I lost quite a bit of size on every muscle group.

I’m wondering if that could be due to muscle glycogen. I came off a 350+ carb diet onto this one and am hoping that the measurement loss is all do to my muscle being “flat” and that when I come off the diet I’ll regain size instantly.

Is this likely?

I’m going to keep doing the diet for another week and if the measurements on my muscles go down any further I’m going to bump the calories up, or abort faster than a drunk promqueen.

April 14th 2008
Weight 215.0
16.5% BF
170.6 LBM
58.7% TBW

Waist 35.75 inches
right arm 16.5 inches
left arm 16.5 inches
chest 48 inches
R calf 16.25 inches
L calf 16.25
R quad 27 inches
L quad 26.75 inches
Neck 16.5

today

April 20th 2008
Weight
205.6 pounds
13.9% Bodyfat
168.2 pounds lbm
60.3% TBW

Waist 34.25 inches -1.5
right arm 16.25 inches -.25
left arm 16.125 inches -.485
chest 47.25 inches -.75
R calf 15.875 inches -.375
L calf 15.875 inches -.375
R quad 25.5 inches -1.5
L quad 25.5 inches - 1.25
Neck 16.5 inches -+0

I’m not worried about the scale drop in 2 pounds lbm, that means nothing to me, it dropped 8 pounds the first day when I changed my carb intake. I’m going to see again in 7 days and rehash my diet if needed.

Hopefully others have this problem. If you need a more detailed log and to check how much I lost day to day to give me better insight i log progress on a thread in my profile.

27 lbs in 3 months isn’t that stellar, and could be matched by other diets that include some carbs, not to mention that they are a whole lot healthier in the long run.

have you lost strength? I’d imagine in the weight room you have trouble with higher reps right now, that’s to be expected. But has your maximal strength gone down? If it hasn’t, then I wouldn’t really worry about muscle loss.

That is what is supposed to happen. This is normal and a good set up results, don’t over analyze it. If you are so afraid of your blubber covered muscles getting smaller when you remove the blubber you will be fat forever. And yes, being flat from low carb has some impact on the tape measure.

Strength is the same as far as I can tell. I havn’t done any singles obviously, but I was legpressing about the same weight for the same reps as my last carb loaded workout. Rowing strength Is the same. I actually hit a PR in seated DB powercleans. So, as far as I can tell there are no losses in strenght.

[quote]FortDodge wrote:
EVERYONE would be better off on less than 30gr carbs per day. The AD bears this out in reality. This works as long as you frequently (1x per wk) give yourself a spike of 100-300gr carbs. I’ve dropped near 30lbs in the last 6 months from doing just that ^. Again your real life experience WILL be different and don’t take mine or ANYONE’s advice on the damn internet as 100% accurate. Find out for yourself how YOUR body reacts. IWO think for YOURSELF!!! [/quote]

Everyone?

Not this one.

Get back to me when that works for you adding over 50lbs of muscle mass.