Zercher Squats: Bar Digging In

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Holy shit Meat nice work. My best is 315x2 so far, deadlifting the bar into position on my quads then starting from the bottom. I got some work to do now. [/quote]

I remember that day, it was sickening.

If you have access to a fat bar, I would try using that. It won’t really help with the pain at all, but I have found it doesn’t slide as much as the normal barbell. I would not use towels or boards or anything like that because they tend to slip around when it gets heavy, which will really throw off your balance. To a large degree, I think the pain is just something you have to deal with if you want to do this exercise.

I have only done them a couple times, but I did them with a sleeveless shirt and did not have a problem, and I am not a big guy with big arms. I felt it a little bit, but nothing serious. It’s a good exercise so I would just suck it up.

wow seriously nice lift mate

[quote] Masticity wrote:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Holy shit Meat nice work. My best is 315x2 so far, deadlifting the bar into position on my quads then starting from the bottom. I got some work to do now.
[/quote]

I remember that day, it was sickening.

[/quote]

I got 315x4 yesterday :slight_smile:

PS nice work bruno, you’ll be repping that shit in no time at all.

Thanks guys. Honestly, that video was my second time doing zercher squats, and I have not done them since. I have, however, experimented with several zercher variations that I really like.

The first is zercher reverse lunges. I never really like regular reverse lunges but this puts a lot of emphais on the quad, which is my goal with them (plus the added benfit of core work).

The other thing I have played around with is Zercher Bulgarian Squats. I REALLY like these too. It really puts the stress right where I want it on the legs, and it requires a ton of stabilization. I have been recovering from a knee surgery, so that is important to me for rehab purposes as well.