Zen and the Art of Weightlifting

I enjoy working out, but sometimes it feels like the epitome of self-focused narcissism, which feels pretty empty to me.

On the other hand, the concentration, focus, and ability to persist through discomfort necessary to working out seems like it could have great potential as a spiritual ritual, akin to yoga. I guess I don’t fully understand the spiritual philosophy behind yoga.

I would love to hear from you spiritual/religious types (especially Buddhists) how you’ve used weights to aid you along your “path of enlightenment.” What has made working out truly meaningful in the broader scheme of things?

I know that when lifting, I’m focused intirely on the act of lifting. I completly get sucked into the moment, its great.

When I started lifting seriously in my mid twenties it taught me discipline, commitment, focus, planning, goal setting, attention to detail, these skills carried over into other areas of my life.

I can honestly say that it was the beginning of my life turning in a positive direction and it has given me dividends that at one time I didn’t believe were possible.

In fear of sounding corny, I have to say it… getting into fitness and lifting was a life affirming and enriching experience.

Damn… I’m gonna cry. :wink:

[quote]darrenrs wrote:
I enjoy working out, but sometimes it feels like the epitome of self-focused narcissism, which feels pretty empty to me.

[/quote]

If you train solely for looks and spend all your time staring in the mirror I can understand this.

If you train for power, speed and health it is no more narcissistic than brushing your teeth. It is an activity that is extremely good for you and a byproduct is making you more attractive than if you didn’t do it.

Interesting post. I also would enjoy seeing others opinions.

[quote]prophetman wrote:
I know that when lifting, I’m focused intirely on the act of lifting. I completly get sucked into the moment, its great.[/quote]

That’s definitely a cool feeling–happens at times for me, but not normally.

Is this something that happens consistently for you? Do you do anything to reach this state or is it automatic?

For the Zen side of things, physical conditioning is usually regarded as important as lots of seated meditation requires discipline, good health, etc.

Other buddhist cultures/traditions are certainly not adverse to physical exercise, i.e. Shaolin, Muay Thai.

I’ve found that my training has enabled me to understand the power my perceptions have over my physical abilities and that the separation of mind and body is an illusion.

I’m a Christian… While I do look a lot in the mirror and know this is not good, weight lifting did make me “better”… Ex:When you are stronger than someone and know you could crsuh him, you tend to pity him, not fight him.
Second: it is healthy, and we are supposed to be as healthy as possible. It is also VERY pleasant (what did Arnold say about the pump? not really, but pretty much the next best thing phisically lol). Now why would doing something which keeps you away from things such as lust, anger, etc AND is healthy but is also pleasant be bad? And in time you also learn to compete with yourself, not others, and and and. Too much to list here.
imho

[quote]
I’ve found that my training has enabled me to understand the power my perceptions have over my physical abilities and that the separation of mind and body is an illusion.[/quote]

That’s some great stuff–I would like to be able to develop and utilize this kind of thing.

Anyways, my subject title got cut off, but I would like to hear from the God-centered religions as well. Anybody see working out as something done “unto God?”