T Nation

ZEB, Try These... (Pullup Variation)

I get a bodyweight training newsletter. This is the one that came recently. I thought I’d share this type of pullup, and see if anyone here has attempted it. And I had to mention the pullup king, ZEB! Here is an excerpt:

You will need a couple of rubber mallets. Hold the mallets by the heads and place the handles over a pull-up bar or anything overhead that will support your weight. Position the handles so that they are parallel to the ground. You will want to move the mallet heads in close to the bar. Leave a little room between the bar and the mallet head for your thumbs. Now, attempt to pull yourself up. Because your weight is slightly offset from the bar, the mallets will naturally tip towards you when you pull down on them. The tilting of the mallets will cause the mallet head to rotate down towards your thumb and, if you are not gripping tight enough, out of your hand. Your task is to keep the mallet handles parallel to the floor throughout. This requires tremendous wrist and crush strength. Do not allow your wrists to bend back. In fact, attempt to bend them forward toward the bar slightly as if you are doing a wrist curl. Resist the rotation of the mallet head in your hand by crushing as hard as you can.

Try it out!

Man, has anyone even tried these? Come on people!

Sorry I think I took my stupid pills today. Having a difficult time visualizing exactly how the “mallets” are placed. If you can further explain I will try to give it a go!

Don’t feel bad, it took me a minute to get the visualization. Basically, take a short handled rubber mallet in each hand. Grab the heads of the mallets so that their handles are perpendicular to the palms of your hands. Place the handles so that they rest on top of your chin-up bar. Then perform the chin-ups by using your hand and wrist strength to keep the handles from tilting towards you and sliding off, you’ll want to try and flex your wrists away from you. Good luck!

To-Shin Do

Could you give us more info about the bodyweight exercise newsletter?

Thanks.

I’m lost. Would a few pictures be possible? Sorry for the stupidity, I just can’t see it.

[quote]ToShinDo wrote:
Don’t feel bad, it took me a minute to get the visualization. Basically, take a short handled rubber mallet in each hand. Grab the heads of the mallets so that their handles are perpendicular to the palms of your hands. Place the handles so that they rest on top of your chin-up bar. Then perform the chin-ups by using your hand and wrist strength to keep the handles from tilting towards you and sliding off, you’ll want to try and flex your wrists away from you. Good luck!

To-Shin Do[/quote]

Okay, I think I understand how this thing works. It’s supposed to fry your grip…long before you feel it in your bi’s or lat’s. As soon as I get a hold of two mallets I will try it. Hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for the idea!

Well, it’s called the Extreme Bodyweight Training Newsletter. If you want to subscribe, PM me for the e-mail address. It has different exercises all using only bodyweight, it somes out very couple weeks.

As for the exercises I posted, here’s a pic:

[quote]ToShinDo wrote:
Well, it’s called the Extreme Bodyweight Training Newsletter. If you want to subscribe, PM me for the e-mail address. It has different exercises all using only bodyweight, it somes out very couple weeks.

As for the exercises I posted, here’s a pic:[/quote]

Thanks, that don’t look too easy.

Could you give us more info about the bodyweight exercise newsletter?

Thanks.

I am dying to do them, but what is a mallet? I can’t understand even with a pic.

The newsletter is just put out by a guy every couple weeks, I’ve seen jacknife and pull-up variations so far, but I’ve only seen 3 issues. Definitely interesting exercises.

A mallet is like a short handled hammer. But the head is rubber instead of metal. You use it to, uh, whack things. And do chin-ups!

To-Shin Do

I must have lost my brain cuz even with the picture it doesn’t seem to make sense. It would seem to me as soon as put any body weight on the mallets they would tip toward you and fall off the chinup bar. There is no counterweight on the handles???

Dude, those look fuckin insane.

I thought planche pushups look hard. That looks like the type of exercise you’d do specifically to humiliate somebody.

randman, you don’t need counterweight. If your grip strength is up to par (which most people’s isn’t) then you can squeeze the mallet heads enough so that you can keep the handles horizontal so they won’t slide off the chinup bar.

I think this is a case of the mallet industry trying to revive their falling sales…