Zatsiorsky, RE, and HTMUs

[quote]Lorisco wrote:

The issue in fiber recruitment that you seem to be overlooking is that, numerous studies and most all experts agree, the HTMU’s have the greatest potential to increase in size and strength. So to a large part, the better you can target the HTMU’s the better results you will have.

And that is why CW states that you should try and move the load a fast as possible. Recent studies show that the threshold for HTMU recruitment hits much quicker when you move the load quickly. So that means you have the HTMU working in more reps than if you did the slow steady method.
[/quote]

When did I ever say that the HTMU’s didn’t have the most potential for growth? When did I say that you shouldn’t try to recruit your HTMU’s? Did I ever say that you shouldn’t lift the bar as fast as possible?

Hmmm…really? Have you really thought that through? Let me ask you, when you try to exert maximal force against a sufficiently loaded (let’s just use 60% of 1RM) bar do you recruit maximal motor units? If the answer is yes, then my statement about the end of the set recruiting the HTMU’s is true. If the answer is no, then you are basically saying that CW’s entire methodology is flawed and not accurate.

According to what evidence are you making that statement?

[quote]pat36 wrote:
I don’t think the HTMU’s come into play all that much during lighter sets done at the “standard” tempo, I.E. not purposely explosive, but just suitable tempo to move the weight. I have been playing with this quite a bit, but of course I am experimenting on myself so it’s not like I have a huge research sample. What I have noticed is this. I can take a moderate weight and take it to failure, then quickly pick up a heavier weight and knock out a couple of reps. I wouldn’t be able to do that if I had exhausted my HTMU’s, this wouldn’t be possible. Now I do this as explosively as possible wit every rep, but I cannot seem to tap those HTMU’s with out sufficient load. Or rather, they may be tapped, but I cannot exhaust them with the load I am using and hence have something in the tank for a heavier weight.[/quote]

This also happens to me, but an explanation why this happens because some of your muscle fibres have already recovered during the few seconds you change the weight.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
pat36 wrote:
I don’t think the HTMU’s come into play all that much during lighter sets done at the “standard” tempo, I.E. not purposely explosive, but just suitable tempo to move the weight. I have been playing with this quite a bit, but of course I am experimenting on myself so it’s not like I have a huge research sample. What I have noticed is this. I can take a moderate weight and take it to failure, then quickly pick up a heavier weight and knock out a couple of reps. I wouldn’t be able to do that if I had exhausted my HTMU’s, this wouldn’t be possible. Now I do this as explosively as possible wit every rep, but I cannot seem to tap those HTMU’s with out sufficient load. Or rather, they may be tapped, but I cannot exhaust them with the load I am using and hence have something in the tank for a heavier weight.

This also happens to me, but an explanation why this happens because some of your muscle fibres have already recovered during the few seconds you change the weight.[/quote]

That is provided you take that much time to change weight. If set up properly you can go through these set phases with very little downtime, less than a second in most cases. But you have to be cognizant of it and make sure you are not doing that. I wish others would try it. I am performing these experiments to test the motor unit recruitment theories. My experience vs. what is being theorized indicates gaps in our understanding; if my experience is replicatable across most of the population. Or I could just be an anomaly. No matter how hard I push as long as I can keep changing the weight, I seemingly can continue a set provided I can stand the pain, which is what inevitably stops me.

If nothing else, I am seeing some impressive developement in my deltoids from just working the shit out of them.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
When did I ever say that the HTMU’s didn’t have the most potential for growth? When did I say that you shouldn’t try to recruit your HTMU’s? Did I ever say that you shouldn’t lift the bar as fast as possible?
[/quote]

Sorry, that is what I thought you were saying.

The answer is obviously yes, but how does that mean your statement is true also? If you burn out the HTMU’s and then continue reps, just how are those motor units going to recover so quickly and jump back in? Since they are HTMU’s they can’t recover that quickly, so they won’t. So you might then say that it is additional motor units jumping in that were not previously used, right? If that is true, why does it not get at least a little easier at the end of the set when the additional fresh HTMU’s jump in?

IMO, what is going on at the end of a set is that your HTMU’s have dropped out and you are using the medium TMU’s to move the weight. And when you try your hardest, that just increases the rate coding on the medium TMU’s to try and get more force out of them, but that doesn’t bring in additional HTMU’s, because they are still resting.

[quote]

So the entire point is that the slow stead to failure approach works, but not as well because it doesn’t involved the HTMU’s as much as the speed-focused reps short of failure.

According to what evidence are you making that statement? [/quote]

There are recent studies that show the threshold for HTMU’s is lowered using explosive lifting intent. That means the HTMU’s get involved sooner in an explosive set than they would in a slow steady set. See http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/5/2919

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
Sorry, that is what I thought you were saying.
[/quote]

No problem.

Well, it means that my statement is true because on the last couple reps of a set to failure you are most certainly attempting to produce maximal force against the bar. If attempting to produce maximal force causes your body to recruit your HTMU’s, then they are also recruited during these reps.

Now, does that necessarily mean that they are going to produce maximal levels of force? No, especially if you have applied maximal force to every rep (explosive lifting) up to this point. But, what really limits their ability to generate high levels of force is not simply duration of time. What limits them is their fuel supply.

What I’m saying is that the fibers don’t necessarily “drop out”, but instead fatigue. There is a difference. Dropping out implies that they are no longer being sent a signal to contract. Fatigue simply means that they tire and can no longer continue working at an optimal rate.

Why do they tire? Because they run out of fuel. If we supplement creatine, then we find that they can continue to produce force for longer. This suggests that the impulse to the fibers does not stop after 15 seconds, all that occurs is that the fibers run out of fuel.

So, is it really accurate to say that the fibers “drop out”, no not in my opinion. Now if by “drop out” one means that they stop contributing significantly in terms of force output, then I’d agree. But, this means that they are still indeed firing during the last couple reps of a set to failure (with or without the use of explosive lifting in the beginning of the set), even if the duration of the set lasts longer than 15 seconds and even if the rep speed slows down noticeably.

Hey, I could be wrong, but from a logical perspective (which in reality is all that we have to draw conclusions from at this point) this would seem to be the case.

See, but this doesn’t really make sense. If trying your hardest simply caused your body to increase the rate coding to the medium MU’s, then this would also occur at the beginning of a set as well.

Yes, I’m not arguing that recent studies have shown that explosive lifting lowers recruitment thresholds. I’ve read several studies on this phenomenon.

What I was getting at was, those are just studies done in a laboratory. While they are interesting and may in fact have some real world carry over, they aren’t concrete proof that this methodology is in any way superior in terms of building muscle. Where are the actual flesh and blood, concrete examples that this methodology is superior to more traditional lifting methodologies?

Until guys come along who have used this program and built physiques that surpass the results of men like Casey Viator, Sergio Oliva, Mike Mentzer, or Dorian Yates (just to name a few who utilized HIT/RE training either exclusively, or at least credited it with greatly improving their physique), then it’s just theory. Don’t get me wrong, I like theory. It’s fun to talk about and discuss. But it doesn’t really hold any water until it proves through actual concrete evidence (in this case superior physiques) that it actually works.

Oh, and before you go calling the steroid card (not saying that you’re going to, that’s more of a disclaimer to anyone who might feel like jumping in and trying to make that argument). Casey Viator was completely clean (meaning no steroids), according to Dr. Darden (who was actually present during Casey’s time training with Arthur Jones).

So, if we want to keep this to a non steroid using scenario. Then until someone comes along with a body that is superior to Casey Viator’s who credits their results to the use of this program, then and only then will there be actual evidence to it’s superiority.

Good training,

Sentoguy

*Picture caption: This is a picture of Casey Viator from 1970. Too bad this guy didn’t use the fast reps to short of failure method. Then he might have actually built some muscle. :stuck_out_tongue: *

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Now, does that necessarily mean that they are going to produce maximal levels of force? No, especially if you have applied maximal force to every rep (explosive lifting) up to this point. But, what really limits their ability to generate high levels of force is not simply duration of time. What limits them is their fuel supply.

What I’m saying is that the fibers don’t necessarily “drop out”, but instead fatigue. There is a difference. Dropping out implies that they are no longer being sent a signal to contract. Fatigue simply means that they tire and can no longer continue working at an optimal rate.
[/quote]

Thibs writes:

"If the concept of training to failure is actually quite easy to
grasp, the causes underlying this occurrence are a bit more complex. There’s no exclusive cause of training failure, rather there are quite a few of them.

1. Central/Neuromuscular Factors: The nervous system is the boss! It’s the CNS that recruits the motor-units involved in the movement, sets their firing rate, and ensures proper intra and intermuscular coordination.

Central fatigue can contribute to muscle failure, especially the depletion of the neurotransmitters dopamine and acetylcholine. A decrease in acetylcholine levels is associated with a decrease in the efficiency of the neuromuscular transmission. In other words, when acetylcholine levels are low, it’s harder for your CNS to recruit motor-units and thus you’re unable to produce a high level of force output.

1. Psychological Factors: The perception of exhaustion or exercise discomfort can lead to the premature ending of a set. This is especially true of beginners who aren’t accustomed to the pain of training intensely.
    Subconsciously (or not), the individual will decrease his force production as the set becomes uncomfortable. This is obviously not an “acceptable” cause of failure in the intermediate or advanced trainees, but beginners who are not used to intense training could slowly break into it by gradually increasing their pain tolerance.

2. Metabolic and Mechanical Factors: It’s well known that an increase in blood acidity reduces the magnitude of the neural drive as well as the whole neuromuscular process. Lactic acid and lactate are sometimes thought to be the cause of this acidification of the blood, but this is actually not the case. The real culprit is hydrogen.

Hydrogen ions can increase blood acidity, inhibits the PFK enzyme (reducing the capacity to produce energy from glucose), interferes with the formation of the actin-myosin cross bridges (necessary for muscle contraction to occur), and decrease the sensitivity of the troponin to calcium ions.
Potassium ions can also play a role in muscle fatigue during a set. Sejersted (2000) has demonstrated that intense physical activity markedly increases extra-cellular levels of potassium ions. Potassium accumulation outside the muscle cell leads to a dramatic loss of force which obviously makes muscle action more difficult.

Finally we can include phosphate molecules into the equation. Phosphate is a by-product of the breakdown of ATP to produce energy. An accumulation of phosphate decreases the sensitivity of the sarcoplasmic reticulum to calcium ions. Without going into too much detail, this desensitization reduces the capacity to produce a decent muscle contraction.
4. Energetic Factors: Muscle contraction requires energy. Strength training relies first and foremost on the use of glucose/glycogen for fuel with the phosphagen system (ATP-CP) also playing a role.

Intramuscular glycogen levels (glucose reserve in the muscle) is very limited and can become depleted as the training session progresses. The body can compensate by mobilizing glucose stored elsewhere in the body (but this amount is also finite), by transforming amino acids into glucose (which is a less powerful way of producing energy for intense muscle contractions) or turn to free fatty acids and ketone bodies.

The last two solutions can’t provide energy as fast as intramuscular glycogen can. As a result, even though it will be possible to continue exercising with a depleted muscle, it’s impossible to maintain the same level of intensity and force production.

So as you can see, it’s impossible to attribute muscle failure to a single phenomenon. Rather, it’s a mix of several factors that cause muscle failure."

Here is an article detailing the numerous contributions to muscle fatigue, with most of them being metabolic.
www.ironmagazine.com/article282.html

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

You know, I had been started to find my position align with CW. However, after a little more thinking, I don’t. Waterbury attributes a reduction in speed as a result of fibers dropping out. However, this is too simplistic, as it is ignoring all the various processes that occur within a working muscle.

I believe the primary reasons why speed slows is not fiber drop-out, but rather metabolite accumulation as well as reduction in fuel stores (as Sentoguy observed).

Thibs writes:

"If the concept of training to failure is actually quite easy to
grasp, the causes underlying this occurrence are a bit more complex. There’s no exclusive cause of training failure, rather there are quite a few of them.

1. Central/Neuromuscular Factors: The nervous system is the boss! It’s the CNS that recruits the motor-units involved in the movement, sets their firing rate, and ensures proper intra and intermuscular coordination.

Central fatigue can contribute to muscle failure, especially the depletion of the neurotransmitters dopamine and acetylcholine. A decrease in acetylcholine levels is associated with a decrease in the efficiency of the neuromuscular transmission. In other words, when acetylcholine levels are low, it’s harder for your CNS to recruit motor-units and thus you’re unable to produce a high level of force output.
[/quote]

OK, keep in mind that I’m new in this fiber activiation game but I have been reading what you guys are saying.

Point 1, from CT, doesn’t that kind of reinforce what CW is talking about? If you stop a set when you show signs of slowing, you reduce theamount of fatigue in the CNS which would allow you to maximally activiate the muscle fibers in the next set? Since CW is always looking at improving CNS function, this seems to be a valid point in his favor.

[quote]
Sentoguy

*Picture caption: This is a picture of Casey Viator from 1970. Too bad this guy didn’t use the fast reps to short of failure method. Then he might have actually built some muscle. :stuck_out_tongue: *[/quote]

Actually, he might have. I don’t know what his day to day training was like, but it’s possible he had speed and load as part of his routine. Besides the heavier you go the more likly you are to use maximal speed, even if the bar moves slow.

After all Charles Atlas claims to never work out with weights, he would merely “test his strength” twice a week in a gym. I.E. a form of maximum recruitment training.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Point 1, from CT, doesn’t that kind of reinforce what CW is talking about? [/quote]

In a way, but not totally. Thibs is talking about a reduction in neurotransmitter levels with the result that is HARDER to recruit the motor units. Waterbury says that the motor units DROP OUT. That’s the difference. Thibs is pointing out that decreased power production in motor units can be caused by neuromuscular and metabolic fatigue. Waterbury says that the decrease is due to the MUs not even firing.

Arioch wrote:
Point 1, from CT, doesn’t that kind of reinforce what CW is talking about?

In a way, but not totally. Thibs is talking about a reduction in neurotransmitter levels with the result that is HARDER to recruit the motor units. Waterbury says that the motor units DROP OUT. That’s the difference. Thibs is pointing out that decreased power production in motor units can be caused by neuromuscular and metabolic fatigue. Waterbury says that the decrease is due to the MUs not even firing.

[/quote]

Actually, CW just clarified for me that by “drop out” he means “run out of fuel”. So, if that’s the case then I agree with him. I just wish he’d chosen to use the term “run out of fuel” in the first place as personally I think it’s a more clear explanation of what’s happening. But hey, he’s the one writing articles for this site, not me. He must know what he’s doing. :slight_smile:

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]pat36 wrote:

Sentoguy

*Picture caption: This is a picture of Casey Viator from 1970. Too bad this guy didn’t use the fast reps to short of failure method. Then he might have actually built some muscle. :stuck_out_tongue: *

Actually, he might have. I don’t know what his day to day training was like, but it’s possible he had speed and load as part of his routine. Besides the heavier you go the more likly you are to use maximal speed, even if the bar moves slow.

After all Charles Atlas claims to never work out with weights, he would merely “test his strength” twice a week in a gym. I.E. a form of maximum recruitment training.[/quote]

Hi Pat,

Yeah, I just put that caption up as kind of a friendly jab at Lorisco’s comment about the MRT system being superior to the RE method (HIT, failure training, whatever you want to call it really).

Honestly, I hope that this system really is superior. I truly hope that the people who start using it gain muscle faster than those doing more traditional training methods. I hope that within the next few years we get a slew of olympia contenders who attribute their rapid acquisition of muscle to using this system.

I mean, who wouldn’t want a more efficient, more effective program that gave you results faster than any other out there? And if there was such a system, anyone who was too proud to use it would be a complete moron in my opinion. I know I’d use it.

My point was simply that to date, we don’t have any real proof. So, let’s not count our chickens before they hatch. :wink:

Also, in regards to Viator, I honestly don’t know if he used explosive lifting (although from reading Dr. Darden’s articles and seeing as he was heavily influenced by Arthur Jones, who trained Viator I’d say he probably didn’t). What he did do though (almost without a doubt) was train to failure, on every single set (RE method).

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]pat36 wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
pat36 wrote:
I don’t think the HTMU’s come into play all that much during lighter sets done at the “standard” tempo, I.E. not purposely explosive, but just suitable tempo to move the weight. I have been playing with this quite a bit, but of course I am experimenting on myself so it’s not like I have a huge research sample. What I have noticed is this. I can take a moderate weight and take it to failure, then quickly pick up a heavier weight and knock out a couple of reps. I wouldn’t be able to do that if I had exhausted my HTMU’s, this wouldn’t be possible. Now I do this as explosively as possible wit every rep, but I cannot seem to tap those HTMU’s with out sufficient load. Or rather, they may be tapped, but I cannot exhaust them with the load I am using and hence have something in the tank for a heavier weight.

This also happens to me, but an explanation why this happens because some of your muscle fibres have already recovered during the few seconds you change the weight.

That is provided you take that much time to change weight. If set up properly you can go through these set phases with very little downtime, less than a second in most cases. But you have to be cognizant of it and make sure you are not doing that. I wish others would try it. I am performing these experiments to test the motor unit recruitment theories. My experience vs. what is being theorized indicates gaps in our understanding; if my experience is replicatable across most of the population. Or I could just be an anomaly. No matter how hard I push as long as I can keep changing the weight, I seemingly can continue a set provided I can stand the pain, which is what inevitably stops me.

If nothing else, I am seeing some impressive developement in my deltoids from just working the shit out of them.[/quote]

Oh, I see. Well, another explanation would be that when you change the weight, muscle tension disappears even for a split second, and waste materials get out of the muscle while fresh oxygen gets in. I think CT said something about this in one of his articles.

Speaking of CT, he also mentioned something about HTMUs not being recruited because of accumulated metabolites, so the size principle isn’t the only thing determining MU recruitment.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
pat36 wrote:

Sentoguy

After all Charles Atlas claims to never work out with weights, he would merely “test his strength” twice a week in a gym. I.E. a form of maximum recruitment training.

Hi Pat,

Yeah, I just put that caption up as kind of a friendly jab at Lorisco’s comment about the MRT system being superior to the RE method (HIT, failure training, whatever you want to call it really).

Honestly, I hope that this system really is superior. I truly hope that the people who start using it gain muscle faster than those doing more traditional training methods. I hope that within the next few years we get a slew of olympia contenders who attribute their rapid acquisition of muscle to using this system.

I mean, who wouldn’t want a more efficient, more effective program that gave you results faster than any other out there? And if there was such a system, anyone who was too proud to use it would be a complete moron in my opinion. I know I’d use it.

My point was simply that to date, we don’t have any real proof. So, let’s not count our chickens before they hatch. :wink:

Also, in regards to Viator, I honestly don’t know if he used explosive lifting (although from reading Dr. Darden’s articles and seeing as he was heavily influenced by Arthur Jones, who trained Viator I’d say he probably didn’t). What he did do though (almost without a doubt) was train to failure, on every single set (RE method).

Good training,

Sentoguy[/quote]

I think the problem here actually is that we are galvanizing our theories and postulations so that the theories become compartmentalized it seems. It is obvious that various methodologies work because all muscle fibers have the potential increase size, endurance, and performance. Most methodologies do end up hitting all your MU’s one way or the other so many principals can cause muscle growth. I think the disconnect occurs when one somebody says that “this is the best way to ” when other methods have worked find in the past. After all, the guys with the biggest muscles are bodybuilders and yet they don’t typically lift heavy or fast.
CW’s method, the way I see it, is that a)if the HTMU’s have the best growth potential and b) the most efficient way to recruit them is heavy loads and/or explosive movements, then c) the best way to get the HTMU’s to grow is to lift heavy and fast while minimizing fatigue so you can repeat the same level of stress many times over.
After a while, though just like anything else, you’ll have to change it up. Most to of the time we seek fatigue to grow muscle and in this case we try to avoid it. I see it as a mathematical equation really. If we follow the avoidance of fatigue we should be able to move more over all weight over a given distance.
I think flipping back and forth between the two methodologies will in the end give the best results (and save your tendons and joints). Mainly, because the MU recruitment theories are good, but incomplete in my opinion. I can see it in myself. In between the lowest threshold MU and the highest threshold MU there are many different MUs with many different thresholds. Also, I believe the MU as a whole can be trained to behave differently to a degree. What I mean is that I think, you can train your HTMU’s to have more endurance as well as produce more force and I believe you can train the LTMU’s to produce more force as well as having more endurance. When I say a more I mean a little more, I am not saying you can train an HTMU to behave like a LTMU; just that it can perform it’s task a little longer and vice versa.

Actually, what I have been thinking about regarding CW’s methodology and it’s application is for in-season athletes. I talked with one football player about issues they have in season where they lose strength and size over the course of a season because they have to rest and cannot train like mad. They can’t go into a game sore and fatigued. I think CW’s theories would really, really make a huge difference for these athletes. Not only can they maintain size and strength, but even improve it during the course of a season. I’d love to try it or have somebody who has. I’d be very interested in the results.
Sorry for babbling on and on…

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
pat36 wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
pat36 wrote:

If nothing else, I am seeing some impressive developement in my deltoids from just working the shit out of them.

Oh, I see. Well, another explanation would be that when you change the weight, muscle tension disappears even for a split second, and waste materials get out of the muscle while fresh oxygen gets in. I think CT said something about this in one of his articles.

Speaking of CT, he also mentioned something about HTMUs not being recruited because of accumulated metabolites, so the size principle isn’t the only thing determining MU recruitment.[/quote]

Honestly, I don’t think that is what is happening. I don’t think enough time passes with the split second weight changes to flush out waste material. I could be wrong but I don’t think so. What I actually think is happening is that no matter what load you use there are MU’s that are not incorporated and hence when you change load you utilize those and the ones you were using begin to recuperate even during the set. I realized that what I am saying kind of goes against the experts who most assuredly know more about recruitment than I do, but I think there may be something to it. If I am wrong I can live with that, but I just don’t see MU recruitment so linearly. I think some are still at rest depending on load/speed.
This is just a hypothesis from my own experience, feel free to call me out on it and tell me I am wrong and why. Just keep it civil will ya? :slight_smile:

[quote]pat36 wrote:

I think the problem here actually is that we are galvanizing our theories and postulations so that the theories become compartmentalized it seems. It is obvious that various methodologies work because all muscle fibers have the potential increase size, endurance, and performance. Most methodologies do end up hitting all your MU’s one way or the other so many principals can cause muscle growth. I think the disconnect occurs when one somebody says that “this is the best way to ” when other methods have worked find in the past. After all, the guys with the biggest muscles are bodybuilders and yet they don’t typically lift heavy or fast.
CW’s method, the way I see it, is that a)if the HTMU’s have the best growth potential and b) the most efficient way to recruit them is heavy loads and/or explosive movements, then c) the best way to get the HTMU’s to grow is to lift heavy and fast while minimizing fatigue so you can repeat the same level of stress many times over.
After a while, though just like anything else, you’ll have to change it up. Most to of the time we seek fatigue to grow muscle and in this case we try to avoid it. I see it as a mathematical equation really. If we follow the avoidance of fatigue we should be able to move more over all weight over a given distance.
I think flipping back and forth between the two methodologies will in the end give the best results (and save your tendons and joints). Mainly, because the MU recruitment theories are good, but incomplete in my opinion. I can see it in myself. In between the lowest threshold MU and the highest threshold MU there are many different MUs with many different thresholds. Also, I believe the MU as a whole can be trained to behave differently to a degree. What I mean is that I think, you can train your HTMU’s to have more endurance as well as produce more force and I believe you can train the LTMU’s to produce more force as well as having more endurance. When I say a more I mean a little more, I am not saying you can train an HTMU to behave like a LTMU; just that it can perform it’s task a little longer and vice versa.

Actually, what I have been thinking about regarding CW’s methodology and it’s application is for in-season athletes. I talked with one football player about issues they have in season where they lose strength and size over the course of a season because they have to rest and cannot train like mad. They can’t go into a game sore and fatigued. I think CW’s theories would really, really make a huge difference for these athletes. Not only can they maintain size and strength, but even improve it during the course of a season. I’d love to try it or have somebody who has. I’d be very interested in the results.
Sorry for babbling on and on…
[/quote]

Hi Pat,

I agree with you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using as many methods as needed to get the job done. The whole “this method is superior to that method” is pretty silly when you think about it. Honestly why people have such strong convictions towards training methodologies is beyond me.

Sure, if something works better FOR ME I’m going to stick to it and not be easily swayed by others telling me that because of some scientific study or what not that I should be training some other way. Hey I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m lifting in the pursuit of results. If a program is producing results, then that’s what I’m gonna keep doing until it stops or until there really is some concrete proof that a different system will produce superior results.

As far as bodybuilders not lifting heavy or fast, that’s kind of an overgeneralization. The truth is that there are quite a few bodybuilders out there, and not all of them train the same way. Some train with explosive tempos, some with slower tempos. Some train body parts multiple times per week, other only once per week. Some train with lighter weights and higher reps and really go for a “pump”, others train with heavier weights and lower reps and focus more on strength. As with the general population, it all comes down to the individual and what works best for them.

I’d also agree that the body has an amazing ability to adapt, and will make specific adaptations to the demands that you subject it to (SAID principle). That’s one of the reasons why multiple professional sport athletes are so rare. If you spend your life doing a specific activity (say sprinting since it’s a fairly uncomplicated sport), then your body is going to make specific adaptations that make you as good as you can be as a sprinter. If on the other hand you spent your whole life training to be a marathon runner, your body would once again adapt to the demands of marathon running.

So, in terms of physique oriented training, we need to look at those individuals who have built the type of physique that we want (and once again this is most definitely an individual thing) and then train the way that those individuals train. If our goals are performance oriented then we need to just be honest with ourselves and admit that, and then do whatever needs to be done to reach those goals.

Now, while I mentioned earlier about bodybuilders training differently, there are certain universal truths that can be gathered by observing their training (and the same can be said of most any activity), genetic freaks like Wheeler and Dillet are excluded from this as if you’ve got that type of genetics, you don’t really need to do anything special to build an incredible physique.

1. Once they reach their potential they are lifting considerably heavier weights than they started with. So, Progressive Overload is essential.

2. Along the same lines they also are eating considerably more calories than they were when they started. So, one needs to Eat Big.

3. They rest long enough (for their body) to allow them to continue to make progress.

Other than that, it’s all just personal preference IMO. Sure, certain methods seem to have more universal success. But once again, as long as the individual is making progress, then who really cares what specific program they’re following.

Finally in regards to CW’s methods and their relevance towards sports. Honestly, that’s what I believe they have the most benefit for. I am not (at least at this point) convinced that they are ideal for bodybuilders (people who’s primary goal is muscle). But, I do believe that they would be very beneficial for athletes, especially those who’s sport demands explosive strength (football players, sprinters, throwers, etc…).

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Dark_Knight wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Point 1, from CT, doesn’t that kind of reinforce what CW is talking about?

Actually, CW just clarified for me that by “drop out” he means “run out of fuel”. So, if that’s the case then I agree with him. I just wish he’d chosen to use the term “run out of fuel” in the first place as personally I think it’s a more clear explanation of what’s happening. [/quote]

That changes how the message comes across.

I agree - he should not use the phrase “drop out.” Maybe this is the main cause of such misunderstanding. The phrase “drop out” implies something different, at least to me.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
it’s all just personal preference IMO. [/quote]

Which begs the question, as stated by Lonman, “Does the training type induce the physique or does the genetic predisposition of certain athletes cause them to gravitate toward a particular training type?”

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=461929&cr=dietAndNutrition

Some interesting things I learned about motor units in a very short period of research:

• With LTMU’s , the twitch force of the motor unit stays the same or increases with fatigue.

• With HTMU’s, the twitch force produced decreases with fatigue.

• MU recruitment is controlled by the feed back from the muscle itself.

• In a static hold, the MU’s recruited at the beginning begin to fatigue and other MU’s are brought in to compensate.

Now if I could understand all the hifalutin language in some of these studies I looked at, then maybe I’d know even more :slight_smile:

[quote]pat36 wrote:

• With LTMU’s , the twitch force of the motor unit stays the same or increases with fatigue.

• In a static hold, the MU’s recruited at the beginning begin to fatigue and other MU’s are brought in to compensate.

[/quote]

Could you link me up with any of this, especially for points one and four?

pat36 wrote:

Could you link me up with any of this, especially for points one and four?

[/quote]

Here is one of the many I looked over…I stuck with the abstract. I gave them the over all benifit of the doubt with regards to the actual experiment; especially since it was written for extensively brainy people.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1469-7793.2001.00903.x
This one addresses your questions the most. I just googled motor units and started reading.