T Nation

Yurik Vardanian 405kg Total

I hadn’t seen this video until just recently.

Absolutely freakish for 82.5kg. Even after redrawing the weight classes, no one in the 85kg division has ever posted a 400kg total. In 1980 he totaled 400kg at the Olympics, which won him the gold medal at 82.5. This total would also have won him the gold medal at 90kg AND at 100kg, AND would have gotten him bronze at 110kg. I frankly can barely wrap my head around that degree of excellence.

Awesome performance and yet another elite level weightlifter who has unorthodox technique that works for him but probably not most others who try to mimic it- although he did pass it on to Norik

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Awesome performance and yet another elite level weightlifter who has unorthodox technique that works for him but probably not most others who try to mimic it- although he did pass it on to Norik[/quote]

Can you explain what’s unorthodox? I don’t know much about weightlifting and its technique intricacies, it would be interesting to hear.

Urik, during the first phase of the pull, advances his shoulders FAR out in front of the bar…moving his center of gravity further away from the bar at first than almost anyone. then during the second part of the pull, the bar approaches him more closely than any other lifter and lets him use his hip extensors longer, so he loses less momentum. He also grips the bar in the clean wider than most lifters, with his feet narrower. In the jerk, he does not have nearly as big a split as most lifters, and bends his knees more as a result.

Also, both Yurik and Norik set their start position in a relatively normal configuration–hips low, torso pretty upright. Then, upon initiating the movement, their hips and knees travel WAY back before coming back in for the second pull, rather than maintaining the same hip and back angle for the whole lift. It’s kind of a see-saw motion.

[quote]daraz wrote:
Can you explain what’s unorthodox? I don’t know much about weightlifting and its technique intricacies, it would be interesting to hear.[/quote]

I was referring to his pull where his hips rise quickly and his legs are almost fully extended (straightened) by the time the bar reaches knee level. In theory, this could jeopardize bar path and/or pulling strength, but it obviously didn’t hurt his success. Supposedly a lot of lifters at the time were trying to copy his technique but couldn’t get it to work properly. I think its funny to see elite level lifters doing things “wrong” but still moving incredible weights efficiently.

I can see how it would be advantageous to a lifter with his proportions though. With such long legs, shifting his hips back ensures that his knees are out of the way as the bar crosses them, enabling him to maintain a more vertical bar path. Additionally, pushing his knees and hips back so far may have resulted in a more powerful stretch reflex from the hamstrings, facilitating quicker force generation in the second pull.

It kind of look likes he doesn’t shrug at all. But that might not be that unusual. But the “grip and rip” technique in the clean is.

According to the Soviet Sports Review, because of his high hip pull, he can use the muscles which extend the hip longer during the pull, and because his center of gravity shifts as it does, he loses less velocity switching from the 1st to the 2nd pull.

He also pulls the bar to a lesser height compared to his own height, with David Rigert pulling the bar slightly higher, mastering the “squat-under”.

Straight up beast, I bet this guy eats rhinos for breakfast while washing it all down with the tears of his opponents

Just to add to the past greats:

Snatch record that has not been touched. I blame the absence of state sponsered drug programmes.

Oh yea.

Leonid Taraneko

Clean and Jerk record that has not been touched. In your face Reza. I further blame the absence of state sponsered drug programmes.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
Straight up beast, I bet this guy eats rhinos for breakfast while washing it all down with the tears of his opponents

Snatch record that has not been touched. I blame the absence of state sponsered drug programmes.[/quote]

You realize for this next attempt he tried 220. I used to have a sequence shot of it. When over head the bar shifted forward in the bottom and is the only reason he lost it. FUCKING INSANE. Not only has anyone broken his record, no one has even attempted such a weight since then.

[quote]elih8er wrote:
Invictica wrote:

Snatch record that has not been touched. I blame the absence of state sponsered drug programmes.
You realize for this next attempt he tried 220. I used to have a sequence shot of it. When over head the bar shifted forward in the bottom and is the only reason he lost it. FUCKING INSANE.[/quote]

…Oh dear god.

I really hope you can still find that sequence shot.