Yuri Spinov

Hi guys. New to the forum, been reading for about a year now but figured join in on the fun. Been a gym rat for years, mostly for looks, but getting more involved in power recently (at 35 kind of a late start, but what the hell). Like any newbie I am pouring through books, magazines and videos and also have the benefit of a good friend/coach into powerlifting for years.

Quick question. What’s the deal with Yuri Spinov?? Seems like he was an ipf champ in mid nineties but you still hear so much about him on the web especially as it relates to squatting, deadlifting and doing good mornings with obscene poundages minus a belt. With so many amazing lifters with bigger numbers around, why still so much mention? Is it the no belt factor?

Certainly not meaning to degrade the guy’s accomplishments as he will be 10x stronger than I ever will, but was curious why he seems so revered and often brought up aside from obviously being a total monster. Thx for any info and a great site/forum.

Never heard of this guy. Went to Youtube and found a vid of him training in the USA in 1996. It is a 4-part series. HE IS A MONSTER! Looks like a fucking silver-back! What’s wrong with people being impressed?

looking pretty boss so far

Totally nothing wrong. I’m impressed! Just curious to get more info about him, and the whole squatting almost 950 with no belt! He also apparently did an 800 plus good morning. I only heard his name from a friend who said he is mentioned in some russian kettlebell book. That 425 squat is rock freaking bottom!

What the fuck? This is so great.

That squat is fucking obscene!

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
Never heard of this guy. Went to Youtube and found a vid of him training in the USA in 1996. It is a 4-part series. HE IS A MONSTER! Looks like a fucking silver-back! What’s wrong with people being impressed?[/quote]

You are right… just watched 2 of the 4 parts. Guy is big. He has that you could break a wooden baseball bat over it gut thing going.

Who needs a belt when you are made of fuckin’ steel???

Checked that book my friend had heard about him in by pavel tsatsouline. He is mentioned as an example for ab and back strength lmao.

I don’t think I comprehend what I just saw on that video - this was a 937 lbs WALKED OUT squat in NOTHING but a t-shirt, singlet and wraps (NO BELT). I think this is one of hte most impressive things I have ever witnessed. Malanichev’s 1,047 in single ply doesn’t seem so earth-shattering all of a sudden

I am no expert on squats but this squat looks so much lower than anything else I have seen live or on these super squat youtube videos. I think he actually squatted 430 on second attempt in same championship in 96. Looks like the same cheap old poly singlet my trainer wears when he squats.