T Nation

Yuppies, Golf, and Marathons

How much athleticism does it take to pick a weight up and put it down…

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
How much athleticism does it take to pick a weight up and put it down…[/quote]

If that weight is significantly heavier than you and you’re, say, snatching it, or doing a clean-and-jerk, nevermind a regular old deadlift without injuring yourself, then the answer is: a LOT.

I knew it wouldn’t be long before PGA chimed in…

[quote]Damici wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
If that weight is significantly heavier than you and you’re, say, snatching it, or doing a clean-and-jerk, nevermind a regular old deadlift without injuring yourself, then the answer is: a LOT.
[/quote]

Oly lifts are an athletic movement. Powerlifting movements are not.

GOLF is a sport, I competed once, I played baseball, basketball, tennis, American Freestyle Martial Arts… you name it. I was a swimmer, played hockey, bowling, pool, softball, and a pathetic gymnast… you get the idea…

I can god damn gaurantee to you that GOLF is a sport. Maybe people who suck at it but THINK they are good athletes call it a SKILL but I assure you, it’s a fucking sport.

Only three sports ever had me nervous when it was time to perform was Baseball, Golf and Basketball.

I can argue you all day that Football, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Hockey… EVERYTHING is just a SKILL… but you know what, I’m not that fucking ignorant.

Wait a second… ESPN’s TOP Athlete of the 20th century was a… GOLFER! Some guy by the name of Jack Nicklaus.

Bottom line… I lift and Golf, it’s what I do… as for marathons… I hate running longer than a few hundred yards and personally think that jogging (or maybe it’s yogging with a soft J) is just boring.

Golf is a sport, the nice thing about it is that you can play it as a recreational sport for pretty much your entire life. It’s the same as anything else, give me two guys with the same skill and make one of them a better athlete, the athlete wins more often. The athlete also hits the ball farther and can get out of thick rough and sand better. The athlete can shape his shots better because his superior flexibility allows him to come at the ball from different angles. It’s not as much of a physical thing as football is but there sure as hell is a lot of physical aspect about it.

Besides the way you play golf, maybe it’s not a sport. If you are good enough to get into some tournaments and such, then by all means it is.

Also, if you guys look around a little bit you may find a place where it doesn’t have the “country club” atmosphere. I play at a local course that is a 9 holer. It’s 250 a year for a membership and you can play in jeans, jean shorts, shirtless if you want. they encourage drinking and there is generally the same 20-30 guys there several times a week in different leagues or scrambles that are all blue collar type guys. F-bombs are the norm aa well as continuous and brutal sarcasm and button pushing. It’s really quite a good time, and then we play some good golf also.

V

Golf is not a sport in any way, shape, or form. The point of sports are to get the MOST points; golf, to get the LEAST. Ergo: not a sport.

Also, marathoners can suck my sweaty ass. As someone who used to live in Boston and Los Angeles, I still can’t figure out why my life has to be inconvenienced just because a bunch of wheezy little numbnuts in shorts that are too damn short wanna go for a jog.

If matrathoners want to impress me, then they should do the course with the cars on it. Run 26 miles while avoiding SUV’s.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
Golf is not a sport in any way, shape, or form. The point of sports are to get the MOST points; golf, to get the LEAST. Ergo: not a sport. [/quote]

Harris,

Golf has many different formats. A couple of those are Stableford, where the idea is to accumulate the most points depending upon your score against par on a particular hole, and Match Play where the aim is to win the most number of holes against another player/s.

So anyway thanks for providing a definition that confirms that golf is indeed a sport.

Burnesy:)

Is golf a sport?  Depends on the definition of sport I guess.  Tiger is ONE athletic mofo and he's the best in the world.  Jack was a hell of an athlete himself and he's still the best golfer ever.  John Daly has the most flexibility of any beer swilling fat guy I've ever seen swing a golf club and swing it well.  The guy is a freak of nature.

Baseball is widely considered a "sport" but there are some pretty chubby pitchers out there who don't really "look" like athletes ie Wells, Sabathia, Wickman, Colon etc...  What about THE BABE?

Some pretty chubby albiet strong as hell guys out there protecting quarterbacks also. Anyway I’m rambling…just a few thoughts…

I can’t believe how ignorant some of the people on these forums are. Why do you care if people wear undershirts, run marathons, or play golf.

Get the fuck over yourself and do something productive with your time instead of wasting your life ragging on other people that enjoy doing things that you suck at.

People that don’t play golf or are not very good will try to say its not a sport because it gives them an excuse for sucking at it. That way they don’t feel bad or less athletic.
Ask anyone who is any good and they will tell you that it definately a sport.

Boy there are some close minded pansies on this board. Just because YOU don’t like it and that someone who isn’t athletic in YOUR sport on YOUR terms doesn’t mean they can’t wipe the floor with your sorry ass.

I golf and love it - I don’t actually think it’s a sport, but it’s certainly a game I like to play. However, those who want to bag on it just because they don’t like it (or aren’t coordinated enough to do it) make themselves look kinda queer, IMHO.

I’ll put up many thousands of dollars if you can outdrive that fat tub of lard John Daly. Just do it, as they say.

Marathoners may mostly be pretty skinny, but they’ll run us into the freaking ground. How the FRICK some of you guys can bag on them instead of folks who do NOTHING for themselves health-wise is beyond my ken.

Maybe we need an iq test to join T-mag :slight_smile:

KJ Choi deadlifted more weight than 99% of this board when he was a teenager.

No one says it better:

"How they could invent a sport like golf.

“Here’s my idea for a fuckin sport. I knock a ball, it goes in a gopher hole.”

“Oh, you mean like pool?”

“Fuck off pool! Not with a straight stick with a little fucked up stick. I whack a ball it goes in a gopher hole.”

“Oh you mean like croquet?”

“Fuck croquet! I put the hole hundreds of yards away! Its fuckin great!”

“Oh you mean like bowling?”

“Fuck no! Its not clear I put shit in the way! Like trees and bushes and high grass so you can lose your fuckin ball and go whackin away with a fucking tire iron! And each time you miss you feel like you’re gonna have a fucking stroke! Haha, that’s what we’ll call it! A stroke, cause every time you miss you feel like you’re gonna fuckin die! Oh and this is fucking brilliant! at the end, we’ll put a little flag, with a flat piece, to give you fucking hope. But then I’ll put a pool and a sandbox to fuck with your ball again! you’ll be there crackin your ass, jerkin away in the fuckin sand!”

“Oh and you do this one time?”

“Fuck no! Eighteen fuckin times!”

Gotta love Robin Williams.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
No one says it better:

"How they could invent a sport like golf.

“Here’s my idea for a fuckin sport. I knock a ball, it goes in a gopher hole.”

“Oh, you mean like pool?”

“Fuck off pool! Not with a straight stick with a little fucked up stick. I whack a ball it goes in a gopher hole.”

“Oh you mean like croquet?”

“Fuck croquet! I put the hole hundreds of yards away! Its fuckin great!”

“Oh you mean like bowling?”

“Fuck no! Its not clear I put shit in the way! Like trees and bushes and high grass so you can lose your fuckin ball and go whackin away with a fucking tire iron! And each time you miss you feel like you’re gonna have a fucking stroke! Haha, that’s what we’ll call it! A stroke, cause every time you miss you feel like you’re gonna fuckin die! Oh and this is fucking brilliant! at the end, we’ll put a little flag, with a flat piece, to give you fucking hope. But then I’ll put a pool and a sandbox to fuck with your ball again! you’ll be there crackin your ass, jerkin away in the fuckin sand!”

“Oh and you do this one time?”

“Fuck no! Eighteen fuckin times!”

Gotta love Robin Williams.

Thats a very histerical set he did there. I cracked the fuck up the first time I heard it.

[quote]magyar wrote:
Fucking golf…It’s for those who can’t/won’t lift. It’s the athletic pursuit of most guys my age and I refuse to give it any credibility, because it’s a game for fat guys.

I feel better now… [/quote]

There are exceptions, but I would like golf to keep that stereotype.

laugh I love that bit. I’ve always said golfing can be a sport when you have Gretzky covering the hole.

Snowboarding can be a sport if Jose canseco gets free swings at you while you’re going down the halfpipe :slight_smile:

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Damici wrote:
PGA200X wrote:

Oly lifts are an athletic movement. Powerlifting movements are not.[/quote]

I do not know where you get the idea that powerlifters are not athletic but I would say that is a stupid assumption. There is a lot more to powerlifting than you think.
As for golf, it is a game and nothing more. It takes no athletic ability to hit a ball and then go fetch it.

Y’all who think golf isn’t a sport need to go try and hit a ball… when you can hit a shot dead straight over 300 yards, and then curve it left and right (draws and fades) to within a few feet of the target… then you can tell us it’s not a sport.

Until then, get a clue and stop being ignant.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
Y’all who think golf isn’t a sport need to go try and hit a ball… when you can hit a shot dead straight over 300 yards, and then curve it left and right (draws and fades) to within a few feet of the target… then you can tell us it’s not a sport.

Until then, get a clue and stop being ignant.[/quote]

Dude, you’re really overeacting. I guess golf is a sport. Why not. Although, some of the players would seem to negate that conclusion somewhat. John Daly comes to mind.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:

Until then, get a clue and stop being ignant.[/quote]

I have tried to play golf and my drive is around 300 yards. I still say that it is NOT a sport but rather a game like pool, and I do enjoy pool I would never call it a sport though. The only time I played a round of golf I was only 7 strokes over par. I have not played since and never will again. It is a game I can do without. It is funny that you assume that everyone here who says golf is not a sport has not played it. That only shows your ignorance.
As for the shot you descibed one could also say that pool is a sport just from some of the difficult shots I have made on a pool table, but they would be wrong. Pool is a game just like golf.