Yuji Watanabe 628 Lb Bench Press

Yuji Watanabe 628 lb Bench Press at 2009 Arnold Sports Festival…he is an incredible bench press technician

That’s nuts. What weight class is he in?

half an inch of motion with a bench shirt and leg drive.

He doesn’t even look like he lifts.

Hes all technique, and while “impressive” its not really a feat of strength so much as skill.

[quote]Westclock wrote:

Hes all technique, and while “impressive” its not really a feat of strength so much as skill.[/quote]

Either this is sarcasm, or you’re in the wrong forum.

He looks so weird wtf.
628 pounds is huge but he moved that like 3 inches. He gets a huge gut, arches the fuck out of his back and this gives him a 3 inch rom.
Still impressive i guess.

USAPL allows belly benching?

628 is a shit ton of weight, just curious.

[quote]Westclock wrote:

Hes all technique, and while “impressive” its not really a feat of strength so much as skill.[/quote]

glad someone commented on the ROM before me.

Yeah. I bet if he took of that shirt, and like, stopped arching, he probably couldn’t even bench 300.

this lift is very impressive, a don’t know anyone who could even move that much weight 3 inches.

but still how is this considered a legit bench press? his range of motion was so short it was unbelievable. it seems to change it from who can bench press the most to who can elevate their belly enough without taking their butt off the bench.

still impressive.

I’m SO jealous of his leverages.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Westclock wrote:

Hes all technique, and while “impressive” its not really a feat of strength so much as skill.

Either this is sarcasm, or you’re in the wrong forum.[/quote]

Its neither.

His technique is ridiculous. I have no problem with geared lifting nor leg drive.

But his lift was barely classifiable as bench press.

Its taking the “little power adders” and making THEM the sport itself.

If you cant win your weightclass without being a trained yoga master, then its bullshit.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Westclock wrote:

Either this is sarcasm, or you’re in the wrong forum.

Its neither.

His technique is ridiculous. I have no problem with geared lifting nor leg drive.

But his lift was barely classifiable as bench press.

Its taking the “little power adders” and making THEM the sport itself.

If you cant win your weightclass without being a trained yoga master, then its bullshit.[/quote]

lol, they should put bench press in yoga competitions.

He’s Japanese isn’t he? They’re well known for having rediculously small strokes. See what this guy can deadlift, and it will pretty much cancel out :wink:

Never noticed the Korgoth avatar before Scrotus…Nice

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
He’s Japanese isn’t he? They’re well known for having rediculously small strokes. See what this guy can deadlift, and it will pretty much cancel out ;)[/quote]

japanese are known for their efficiency, this is probaly why.