Yr of Challenges - Strength Challenge Problem

I started the Year of Challenges back in December and successfully completed the objective goal of the BBB phase. Now I am in the Strength phase going into the last month where I will test my lifts and go for PRs in the three main lifts.

I tested my max in all lifts 5 months ago before I started the Year of Challenges so I could accurately plug in the 90% TM. Now here I am 6 - 5/3/1 cycles later and my TM is now only 20 lbs less than what my PR is in the deadlift.

For next week I am supposed to do 3x3 of the 5/3/1, then 1 rep at my TM, and finally 1 x 110% of my TM. The problem is that that this 110% set will be over 30 lbs more than my current PR in the deadlift. I know the ultimate goal of this phase is to beat my PRs, but what should I do here? I don’t think I will be able to pull this weight yet, and Jim does not want us going to failure on these singles or all out sets with the TM.

Should I just do the 1 x TM and then try the last set at my PR? Or go for higher than the PR but not all the way to 110% TM? I just don’t want to mess my goals up for this phase right here at the end. Thanks

[quote]umfitz wrote:
Should I just do the 1 x TM and then try the last set at my PR? Or go for higher than the PR but not all the way to 110% TM? I just don’t want to mess my goals up for this phase right here at the end. Thanks[/quote]
What are your goals for the phase? Why don’t you just attempt whatever those goals are? Isn’t that why you did it haha?? Whatever you do, don’t just try your old PR. Set a new one!

There are 4 weeks in this last phase of the strength. Week one has us doing a 1 x 110% TM. Supposed to test max and go for PR on week 4 (possibly week 3 if you feel good that day)

if your progressing then its working. Seems as though you may be psyching yourself out before you even get to the weight. “I don’t think I can lift it” is your problem. JUST GO FOR IT! Stop thinking about it so much. One of two things will happen…

1. you complete the lift
  2. you don’t complete the lift

And contrary to popular belief, your world will not come crashing down if #2 happens. Don’t be afraid to fail. Michael Jordan was given the ball 26 times to take a game winning shot, how many did he make? SIX!

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to go for a 30lb PR after 6 cycles. Look at what happened with me last Saturday when I went to test my DL max. I was shocked and amazed…

[quote]pntbll687 wrote:
if your progressing then its working. Seems as though you may be psyching yourself out before you even get to the weight. “I don’t think I can lift it” is your problem. JUST GO FOR IT! Stop thinking about it so much. One of two things will happen…

1. you complete the lift
  2. you don’t complete the lift

And contrary to popular belief, your world will not come crashing down if #2 happens. Don’t be afraid to fail. Michael Jordan was given the ball 26 times to take a game winning shot, how many did he make? SIX! [/quote]

This ^

Thanks I was trying to go exactly by the program where I wouldn’t even be trying for the PRs until three to four weeks from now, but fuck it

Well I failed that week trying for a PR at 505 in DL. Two weeks later it was time to really test all of the lifts and I hit a PR in all 3. Hit 505 in DL for a 5 pound PR, then tried 515 and got that too. So far so good on the 5/3/1 Year of Challenges (BBB and Strength goals accomplished). Now starting the 3 month Prowler challenge.

[quote]umfitz wrote:
Well I failed that week trying for a PR at 505 in DL. Two weeks later it was time to really test all of the lifts and I hit a PR in all 3. Hit 505 in DL for a 5 pound PR, then tried 515 and got that too. So far so good on the 5/3/1 Year of Challenges (BBB and Strength goals accomplished). Now starting the 3 month Prowler challenge. [/quote]
That’s awesome! Nice work coming back strong after missing it a couple weeks prior.