Every Day Carry - Aiming for 2:3:4:5 Plates

Contingency Plan 3.2
My session today was squat then mostly quad work.
Tomorrow I will do Bench then deadstops then presses then vertical push and pull then arms
Sunday I have Cricket for my A level sport as powerlifting isn’t a sport apparently.
Monday will be deads then front squats (?) then mostly hamstring work then calves (doubt it)

Mini Update
My actual comp results got released:

I spent too long editing them so its only sort of the relevant 6 people to me out of 45.
Pink is me and my results.
2 people in the 105’s from my day. Nowhere near that guy he’s got 5 years on me.
Out of those in my age category but were lighter I totalled more than 1 who is very light. Lifted less than the other two in my age group so hopefully I can catch up on the Total. Don’t give a shit about wilks at this point.
I don’t do powerlifting to beat others or even set records I just do it for personal enjoyment and my own goals so these don’t mean to much in all honesty.

1 Like

13/05/17
Volume Hypertrophy Upper - Vertical Push and Pull
Shoulder Warm up things
Bench done 2 inches wider grip than normal
30 x 5
40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5 x 5

Deadstop Press Close Grip Done with football bar, 2 inches above chest
40 x 3
50 x 3
60 x 8 x 3 ,60 secs rest between sets

Press football bar again, medium grip
30 x 5 x 10

Kroc Rows for funzies and wanted to see where my maximal strength is at with these
50 x 8 each arm, grip weak link

Dips
Red mini band x 3 x 8

Pulldowns V-grip close
120 x 8
120 x 10
120 x 10
120 x 14

Seated DB Press
9 x 20
15 x 20
20 x 20

BTN Puldowns
80 x 15
100 x 12
100 x 10

Tricep Pushdown
30 x 3 x 12

DB Curls
9 x 3 x 12

Seated DB Shrugs
25 x 3 x 12

Zottman Curls
7 x 3 x 12

And done

1 Like

15/05/17
Volume Hypertrophy Lower - Hamstring/Deadlift Focused
Did 5 jump to prime
Conventional Deadlift no straps, no belt
60 x 3
80 x 3
100 x 3
110 x 3 x 3

Rack Pulls above knee, 4 inches of rom, belt, straps
100 x 3
120 x 3
140 x 3
160 x 3
180 x 3 x 3

High Bar Squats
60 x 12
60 x 12
60 x 12
60 x 12

RDL’s
60 x 10
60 x 12
60 x 10
60 x 5 legs trembling and hit complete muscular failure

All my Deads today felt really explosive and fast moving from the jumps first thing not Agile 8.

1 Like

16/05/17
Volume Hypertrophy Upper - Horizontal Push and Pull

Shoulder tings

Bench Football Bar medium Grip, sleeves
50 x 3
70 x 3 felt good
80 x 1 did a over warmup on this so sets later felt lighter

Deadstop Bench Normal everything, sleeves
60 x 5
70 x 5 x 5 moved quick compared to last week

Barbell Row
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 5
90 x 3 low back very sore so did something easier on it for volume

Football Bar Bench medium grip
40 x 10
45 x 4 x 8 tempo eccentric about 2 secs down, 1 sec pause,quick up

Meadow Row
30 x 12 (3 10kilo plates plus bar)
40 x 8
40 x 8
30 x 10
20 x 15
20 x 18

Chest Fly Machine
50 x 3 x 15

Facepulls
sw x 3 x 10

Don’t normally post anything of my “physique” but today I’ll make a exception.
Something weird happened today, I didn’t look like a morbidly obese powerlifter. Most likely the tempo work as well as the shit ton of rows. Powergut is receding as well. Odd day.

9 Likes

Lookin swole man!

I just realized - you and I are very similar age, and strength levels…it’s interesting to see how you train, it’s far more in depth and thought out than me. Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book…

2 Likes

Bro. Those squats going straight to your tris bro.

3 Likes

I was going to say, your arms are not small

1 Like

Probably best not to go so in depth as I do and as Mark also does. Bit of a differently wired brain than to you so we prefer to do it this way, but for most people the highly planned aspect of training isn’t something they like.

@lil.greggy Definitely the Squats bro.

@MarkKO Thanks

4 Likes

Pretty much. What’s natural to Hugh and I is a right pain in the rear to many other people in this respect. No harm in giving it a shot, because it does work, of course.

2 Likes

19/05/17
Mess Around Day
Agile 8
Squat
worked up in 3’s
60 x 3
80 x 3
100 x 3
110 x 3 PR Video
100 x 3
had no energy so…

Hang Snatch
20 x 5
40 x 2
40 x 2
50 x nope

Power/Hang Clean
20 x 5
30 x 2
40 x 3
50 x 2
30 x 3

Videos

3 Likes

I’m fairly certain you already do but definitely hit your lower back and abs with lots of volume. Bodyweight works fine.

I was doing 100 reps of abs and 50ish reps of GHR per week when I was doing 5/3/1, need to pick it up again now.

1 Like

GHR is good, but won’t build your lower back as well as back raises.

I do them like this:

I just call them GHR, are they?

I believe those are back raises.

You can do GHR’s on that same apparatus, but the pad would need to be lower and angled more at like 30-35 degrees to try mimic a true GHR. Look up glute ham raises and see how the main movement is hip extension (with knee flexion).

In the example you provided, the pad is moved up high enough so that the hip is not as involved in the movement, just enough so for fully involved flexion on the lower back

1 Like

I just hang off the end of a leg press and do them as such

You can take either of the back raise or GHR apparatuses and manipulate the leverages of the equipment (e.g. varying angles/position of the pad in regards to your hip) or of your body (e.g. bending your knees) to target the lower back or the hammies/glutes. But I can definitely say that what you are doing in that video is not a GHR and more like a back raise. Just look up GHR and you’ll see. The lever of it is more towards the knees and features primarily hip extension and knee flexion. What you are doing is more like hyper(or back) extensions

Oh right, that’s good then as Mark told me to do them. So inadvertently I was doing it correct at least. I don’t have access to a GHR or even a back raise I just tie a dip belt off the leg press and do them on there. Works well enough.

2 Likes

Yup! So that’s the good thing, you were doing the right movement, just confusing the name. I’m sure Mark will have something to say about your form, but I’ll leave that to him.

Do you ever do good mornings? I’m not the biggest fan of them, but lightweight good mornings are a reasonable exercise for anyone who doesn’t have any pre-existing lower back issues. I usually stick with lightweight RDLs though