You're Your

Colons and semicolons always confuse me.

The thing is mistaking your/you’re is not a spelling problem, or something that irks ‘grammar nazis’ ( as it’s only a word, not some esoteric part of English like splitting infinitives or something like that that is sort of an arbitrary law anyway)…it’s a fuck up of the basics of English, of a word/words we use hundreds of times every day.

It’s equivalent to being an American and not knowing the nation’s capital, or not being able to do arithmetic.

Haha it is worrying that someone has actually had to post this because so many people get your and you’re mixed up. Regardless of this post though people will continue to get it wrong.

and the lesson for tomorrow we will be discussing he proper usage of “there” “their” and “they’re”

[quote]Nards wrote:
The thing is mistaking your/you’re is not a spelling problem, or something that irks ‘grammar nazis’ ( as it’s only a word, not some esoteric part of English like splitting infinitives or something like that that is sort of an arbitrary law anyway)…it’s a fuck up of the basics of English, of a word/words we use hundreds of times every day.
It’s equivalent to being an American and not knowing the nation’s capital, or not being able to do arithmetic. [/quote]

Yes, this is it ^^^^

It’s like saying, ‘I care so little that I can’t even be bothered to learn something as simple as where to put an apostrophe.’

On another note, being a grammar Nazi and all, I could argue all day about why the splitting of infinitives is an archaic and stupidly restrictive rule that cripples the expressive power of the English language by forcing us to obey Latin rules that are impossible to apply due to vast differences between said language and English. I’ve also a cavalier attitude towards long sentences.

Damn Lowth and his need to screw up natural English usage.

PS: don’t even get me started on the use of ‘them’ as being an unacceptable neutral pronoun in gender-ambiguous situations. Really, people, Shakespeare did it, Fitzgerald did it, Orwell did it…

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
marathe wrote:
Don’t loose your mind over this people.

hurrr

Lose, not loose.

[/quote]

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Colons and semicolons always confuse me.[/quote]

Colon…

…Semi-colon.

hmmm you’re=you are … now I know.

I also need help with my numbers I always get my "B’s’ mixed up with “7’s” and triangles

[quote]roybot wrote:
…Semi-colon.[/quote]

ahahahah! Nice.

[quote]sluicy wrote:
This drives me absolutely nuts. Really, it is very easy to know which to use if a person will take a second and think about it.[/quote]

Your’ight.

Still, a second is too long for such basic writing.

[quote]Squiggles wrote:
PS: don’t even get me started on the use of ‘them’ as being an unacceptable neutral pronoun in gender-ambiguous situations. Really, people, Shakespeare did it, Fitzgerald did it, Orwell did it…[/quote]

I hear you on this one! I remember when I took AP English in HS and my dumb ass teacher wouldn’t let us use it in that context. It became almost impossible to write anything that had to do with a man and a woman. I ended up just either using all men or all women as examples because of that shit.