you're does not equal your

“Well vs. good” balance?

“Well” isn’t pretentious, it’s correct. What an American thing to say though!

donder,

I wrote that mostly as a joke. I am in complete agreement with you. Unfortunately, I too have made my share of mistakes. All that we can do is try harder each time.

You want to lose fat, not loose fat!

“Irreguardless” is not a word in the English language.

My Dad was an Eglish teacher. You’d never guess from reading my posts, though! :D)

This is going to be a loooooooong thread!

(Or more aptly Internet-slang written: Disuz going 2 B a long pst.)

bangs - point taken. I understand that “do” is a verb and “well” is an adverb. However, most of the people in my area, when asked how they are doing, respond with “good” (an adjective).

My balance in life is not too get too caught up in the semantics of the English language. If that’s “very American”, then fuck ya! I’m doing great!

If you live in england, you can “loose weight.”

So there.

The one that really gets me is when people want to say “now” and instead write “know”.
What an irritating mistake.

Donder, what makes writing this post and the fact that I’m reading and responding to it a complete waste of time, is the fact that nobody that currently makes these mistakes is going to change simply because you decided to write a post bitching about it.

Secondly, if you’re going to be so damn nitpicky about grammar, quit being a hypocrite. You don’t capitalize the beginning of your sentences because you’re “lazy.” Well, it takes an entire two extra keystrokes to type “you’re” instead of “your.” On the other hand, it only takes a single extra keystroke to hit the shift key and capitalize your sentences.

One of my faves: “That movie literally blew me away”. Nowadays ‘literally’ is the new ‘figuratively’.

doax,
man, not trying to get anybody riled (is that how you spell it?) up.
leaving out a period or neglecting to capitalize a word is common and accepted within the confines of informal electronic dialogue such as an email to a friend or a post to a forum such as this. this informal (what i was referring to as lazy) way of typing is much different than substituing words that change the entire meaning of a sentence or just plain don’t make sense. i know how to capitalize and choose not to. some people seem to not know how to properly use english words and it irritates me, so i’m helping those people out. i should be thanked.
btw, has anybody noticed that “could care less” and “couldn’t care less” are used interchangeably?

it shoulnt be people are lazy its so much easier to read something when you use periods and capitals

It shouldn’t be. People are lazy. It’s so much easier to read something when you use periods and capitals!

Ask v. Ax …that drives me nuts.

or

Saying “you know” after every sentence.

Irregardless is an acceptable, albeit nonstandard, word in the English language that is a blend of irrespective and regardless. It is an urban myth that it is not an acceptable word.

My pet language peeve, “Needless to say,…”

I agree with the “you know” thing. Watching the Jessica Lynch interview was very distracting because, “you know”, everything she said had, “well, you know.”

Or what about the Training Day version of “you know”. G’know? From the scene where they’re sitting around the card table in the barrio. Looks like your partner left you, g’know?

Aviod, I guess you are right. Fron Merriam-Webster:

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so. From American Heritage Dictionary. Even if things are accepted doesn’t mean they don’t irritate me. Slang is not proper, but in moderation, like whiskey, religion, and government, “it’s all good”

The whole irregardless thing prompted me to pull my copy of The Elements of Style from the shelf.

The book states that irregardless should be regardless. The error results from failure to see the negative in -less and from a desire to get it in as a prefix, suggested by such words as irregular, irresponsible, and perhaps especially, irrespective.

I’d probably take a conservative approach and leave it out of my technical/professional writings. However, it’s probably fine in conversation.

Elements Of Style…damn good book. I couldn’t find it on sale so I bought On Writing Well instead. They’re both small books and easy to get through. Too bad you don’t see them in very many high schools. From what I see they sure could use the help.

nephorm,

Arbitrary?

“It’s” is a contraction of “It is”; we use apostrophes in contractions.

“Its” is a possessive and shouldn’t have a contraction.

Grammar Trivia Quiz:
What is the grammatical construction of “Fuck you”?