You're Bulking?!?! *Gasp*

SO here it is:

You may not agree but I set myself a goal, to get to 8% body fat and then to bulk up. (you may not agree with this is the best way but I don’t care! that was my goal and i met it)

Now here it is my new bulking strategy.
Now many of you will have read the things from Coach Thib, where he is interpreted as gaining minimal mass but staying lean, and Professor X, who is interpreted as get fat as hell. Which is wrong.

The goal of this bulk is to gain as much muscle as possible. And from reading Thibs Truth about bulking you can’t bully yourself into building more muscle by eating more.

But the aim here is to find my genetic potential for mass, regardless of fat gain.

first 3 weeks : eat above maintenance about 1.25 or something.
next 3 week cycle: increase that number by 0.05 to get to 1.3

and this will continue until muscle gain starts to fall. I do no want to go right to the edge of the potential due to very rapid fat loss danger.

SO what you think? any improvements you recommend?

• Phoenix Theory

Sounds great but I find that the results of the bulk depend as much on WHAT foods you eat as well as how MUCH.

Another huge huge factor is what your training looks like. Are you lifting like you’re bulking? Are there 2-a-days in there? What’s your split? Do you have structured interval training and energy systems in there?

When you eat big I find it’s a great time to work the 20m - 100m sprint. Doesn’t prevent any growth and actually stimulates great PosChn growth. Good time to make sure you’ve got your box jumps in too. Maxing your speed/vert is great while bulking. You get big hops.

So I’d say that the ramping of the cals is one small part of a structure of more small parts. It’s when you get them coalescing into a nice big whole that the ‘magic’ appears.

Ill be doing it too beginning december 15th. good luck sir. eat your yams, best bulk “veggie” ever.

-chris

y yams? y not potatoes?

Appriciate the curiosity kickureface but I really do not want to turn this topic off course.

So please only comment on your suggestion for optimal bulk techniques

Cheers

[quote]Phoenix Theory wrote:

Now here it is my new bulking strategy.
Now many of you will have read the things from Coach Thib, where he is interpreted as gaining minimal mass but staying lean, and Professor X, who is interpreted as get fat as hell. Which is wrong.

[/quote]

not only does your grammar suck, but your reading comprehension does as well. Where does PX say to get fat as hell?

Optimal?

Don’t go over analyzing everything. You’re going to eat above maintenance by .05? Wow, you really are going to gain a lot that way.

Yes, you need to not over do things to where the fat gain out weighs the muscle gain, but to fear putting on fat the way you are… well… good luck

wow, my apologies. apparently, my reading comprehension is the one that sucks LOL

this site sucks with posts. Ok, not sure if it’s showing on others’ computers yet or not, but delete my previous 2 posts.

Apparently my reading comprehension is the one that sucks

[quote]kickureface wrote:
y yams? y not potatoes?[/quote]

Yams because they digest nice and slow compared to most potatoes and have more fiber. That and they are delicious.

Yams are therefore an optimal bulking technique.

Also ever since i read prof X’s “sweet potatoe pone” piece I get hankerin’ for yams. mashed yams with pumpkin too. and molasses.

Take the mashed yams and mix them in with beef and oatmeal (blend it to make more powdery) to make super burgers on the grill. So crispy.

potatoes are for peasants, yams are way more bad ass.

-chris

mashed potatoes taste great. And in the grand scheme of things with a meal rich in protein there’s not reason not to include them if you’re bulking.

Yams are awesome bodybuilding food. Or those purple yams…I don’t even know what they’re called. In Japanese they literally translate into “purple potatoes”. Pumpkin is also great.

Brightly Colored produce > > > White/Bland colored produce

SO what you think? any improvements you recommend?

• Phoenix Theory[/quote]

Find a new sport. This one isn’t for you.

And from reading Thibs Truth about bulking you can’t bully yourself into building more muscle by eating more.

• Phoenix Theory[/quote]

Right,

You “bully” yourself into gaining more muscle by eating more AND lifting hard and heavy.

You have to force significant muscle gain. Your body will not willingly just add 50lbs of muscle for no reason.

Does your “bulking strategy” include lifting weights? Just checking. Whats your initial training going to be like?

What are you current stats? height, weight, lifts?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Phoenix Theory wrote:
And from reading Thibs Truth about bulking you can’t bully yourself into building more muscle by eating more.

• Phoenix Theory

Right,

You “bully” yourself into gaining more muscle by eating more AND lifting hard and heavy.

You have to force significant muscle gain. Your body will not willingly just add 50lbs of muscle for no reason.[/quote]

The prof has spoken.

i don’t like the impression the “truth about bulking” leaves, i think the facts are good but it makes people think they shouldnt be eating hard.

Id figure out what kind of nutrient breakdown you want then eat enough to gain 1 lb on the scale/week. when progress slows down then add some more cals

I think you all know what the term “bully” your body into building more muscle means.

I am not worried about losing any abs or whatever, I was saying that of course yo have to eat more to gain muscle, but this won’t continue, eating say 1000kcal over maintenance may be say 3 lbs of muscle a month, BUT eating 2000kcal of maintenance won’t build 6lbs of muscle a month.

That is what I mean.

And I think Skip La Cour describes the bulkiong strategy best "Don�??t eat to get fat. Don�??t eat to stay lean. Eat to Grow!�??

• PHeonix Theory

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

Lifting hard and heavy. What is meant with that?
Is it loading >80% 1RM … 1-3 sets …3-6 reps with a high velocity
or more like 70%-80% 1RM … multiple sets…6-12 reps with a slow to moderate velocity

Or doesn’t it matter whether you’re doing hypertrophy or training power or strength during a bulk?

[quote]Erasmus wrote:

Lifting hard and heavy. What is meant with that?
[/quote]

If you have to ask this question, you need to back away from the computer and actually go to a gym and watch people train. Watch how college level football players train and pay attention to how much they put into a workout.

There is no formula. However, we all know it when we see it. If you don’t, this (bodybuilding) may not be the best use of your time.

Do you really think the really large lifters you see are pulling out calculators?

Don’t tell 'em our secrets, prof, they may actually end up getting big and then we won’t stand out as much anymore…