T Nation

Your Weakest Link?

I’ve been reading articles by Dave Tate lately and he’s brought up the topic that you should always train where you are weakest if you want to get stronger. Most of us shy away from exercises that we aren’t good at and stick to ones where we excel, myself included. What I’m going to do is pick one exercise that I’m weak at and focus on it until it’s no longer my weakest link.

I’m going to pick the pull up/chin up. It’s going to be the first exercise I do every time I go to the gym which is 3-4 times per week. I’m going to do this for 4 weeks and then re-evaluate to determine if my pull up is up to par and then pick another exercise (probably a row).

So what is YOUR weakest link?

chin up, so I have been doing it first for the last month, now its my lower back. Back to dead lifts / good mornings.

Legs…Squats.

Arms, surprisingly. I don’t have an arm day currently and it has become apparent that benching, rowing, pullups, and military press aren’t sufficient for the arms I want. I think it’s good we tell newbies that compounds are king, but as you progress you gotta throw some isolation exercises in there. I am going to start having just an arm day.

Pull-ups. I need to work on those too.

Squats, then pull-ups…but it all needs work. I should focus on legs a little more than I do, and I am due for a new program here shortly, I will keep this in mind.

Deadlifts are my priority at the moment. Trying to get technically proficient with sumo stance as well as just getting stronger.

Upper body wise, every lift needs to improve but nothing is glaringly worse than everything else. Overhead lifts are my main focus right now simply because I love them. Finally hit a standing strict press PB last Friday, but really need to start going heavy on push presses again as well.

My weakest link really is the 4.5 months I’ve been working out has not given me a ‘great’ all around fitness.

Can pullup 10times @ 190lbs
Max Bench 240 (was 205 4.5 months ago)
Max Squat 385 (was 305 4.5 months ago)
Deadlift - OK I just suck here I dont max lift

ATM I feel i need to focus on my tri’s, back and abs more. At my peak track time I was doing 300-400 crunches/leg lifts/etc a day.

We’ll see how my next 1.5 months goes as I’m competing in a regional combine in may. God willing I wont do to bad for an out of shape 32 year old :slight_smile:

probably my lower back i need a lot more pull ups

Regional combine? What is that for? The only combine I’ve heard of is for the NFL draft.

biceps and bench

[quote]joburnet wrote:
Regional combine? What is that for? The only combine I’ve heard of is for the NFL draft.[/quote]

Aye.

May 3rd at Denton, TX at UNT.

Is the regionals. IF you get in the top 85% you get invited to Indy to compete in the National one. Lots of folks from these do this hopes for NFL or the other football leagues.

I did this to help show my High School boys at church what one can accomplish with God. I work out with them when I can, do bible studies with them, challenge them to live a different life (would you let your daughter (if you ever have one) date a guy exactly like you), etc.

I do a daily bible study, spend alot of time in prayer, maanage to workout 1-2 times a day while managing multiple plants transportation for a big poultry company, and take care of a 2 and 3 year old boys while spending time with my wife too :slight_smile:

Its alot of work but I’ve had alot of opportunities to share my faith and what Life is all about with God and what its not about with him to High School kids, college kids and even adults.

People tell me that at age 32 I’m crazy, but then again how many of you ever get to live a dream and enjoy trying to do it while helping other people develop into mature adults?

Its funny watching them see the change in me physically (17lbs of lean mass gained 4% body fat loss) and the ‘old’ guy starts out running them on the track. I still have a long ways to go but in the end its all for Him. I’m just excited that He’s letting me do what I’m doing :slight_smile:

Interesting, what is your football experience?

The weakest link…

Can’t stabalize weight overhead in snatch- OH squats.

nothing stuck out in my mind… so i am going to say everything.

balance/flexibility and speed I need to work on those two in order to be a better athlete and eventual decent strongman.

I feel pull ups are little weak but its kind of hard to do them when you like 310 lbs, though I can still manage 1-3 close grip. My biceps probably weakest link in relation to everything else I need to do some burnout curlz.

I don’t think I’m going to work one thing more though, your always going to have strong parts and weaker parts. Its really tough to be great at EVERYTHING. Just realize that maybe your body is designed to be slightly better in legs then biceps.

Read the section on Frequency progression:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/progressions_for_hypertrophy_and_fat_loss&cr=bodybuilding

It’s meant for the weak links.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
Interesting, what is your football experience?[/quote]

Since HS nothing but occasional field football.

Quit football in HS to focus on track and scholorship. Dad was looking in HS at a football scholorship till he broke his leg 1/2 through the season his senior year. Had one friend suffer a brain damaging concussion during practice and a few others suffer some pretty nasty injuries too.

Decided to take the track scholorship and run. So its been 14 years since i’ve played football in a pad way :slight_smile:

But then again I haven’t lifted seriously or worked out in 7 years really and I’m in the best shape of my life in some ways. Again its all about showing these boys what we can do and accomplish if our priorities are right :slight_smile:

I would say my Legs and lower back. I squat 315lbs with good form for 4-6 reps depending on how I feel, but I feel I should be able to do more. This guy at my gym did the same weight for 40 reps and I wanted to give up squating after I witness that.

[quote]Nelford wrote:
I would say my Legs and lower back. I squat 315lbs with good form for 4-6 reps depending on how I feel, but I feel I should be able to do more. This guy at my gym did the same weight for 40 reps and I wanted to give up squating after I witness that.[/quote]

I’ve just discovered a new goal. HAHAHA!