Your Typical Workout

I adopt a modular approach. That way if I don’t have time for something, I can cut it out on a priorities basis.
First module is a warmup routine using exercises designed to increase my flexibility and improve my karate technique. I cribbed a load of Rob Redmond’s ‘isolation training’ exercises back when his site was still around. Things like leg lifts and roundhouse kicks from the chamber position.
Second module is lifting. I’m currently on pavel’s power to the people, so this is short and sweet.
Third module is a short callisthenic workout. This was inspired by the old fashioned 5BX program. I do as many reps as I can of pullups, pushups, situps and burpees
Third module is kata- I love kata, but she doesn’t love me. I’m currently struggling with kushanku.
Fourth module is bagwork. I try to practice techniques that I learnt at karate class that week.
Final module is stretching.

I try to do the whole thing once or twice a week. I also try to do the lifting module as prescribed in 'power to the people- regularlay, I mean.

I am a couple years out from having an actual fight gym membership, so I improvised something of my own.

First off, I am not a slave to Mon-Wed-Fri type of thing, I train when I reasonably can which ever way I can. Work might get busy, I might be out late entertaining myself, I might be just tired, I am 49 these days.

I have it down to longer, higher priority workouts, and lighter ones.

the higher priority ones are structured like this:

3 3 minute rounds, 1 minute between, shadowboxing. the first just shuffling around, trying to work in some head movement.

3 rounds on the heavy bag. Mostly lately I will do the first round balls out:

jab-kick
jab-straight-switch step kick
jab-straight-jab-kick
jab-straight-jab-straight-switch step kick

2 rounds free style, essentially like I am in a fight.

3 sets of body weight chinups

3 sets of medicine ball rebounds, 2 minutes on, 30 seconds off.

and then I am done. this usually runs me 47 minutes, afterwhich I figure I have had enough.

a low priority day might be:

rope skip 3 minutes - 10 pushups - 10 situps - 10 bodyweight squats X 2 or 3 if I can.

maybe some shadowboxing after.

Other days I might do some double end ball work.

the idea is to try to do the priority stuff at least twice a week, or preferably 3.

Supplementation.

I generally workout first thing in the day, my front room. I will have as part of breakfast/pre workout some whey protein, the stuff I have now is fortified with BCAAs and glutamine. An hour after I finish breakfast I take a preworkout formula, most products I use have some amount of Beta alanine.

I just recently got a sampler pack of a BCAA intra workout product that had me feeling like I could rip the horns off of a bison, and bought a supply. this had me ending Sunday’s workout with 3 rounds of using my 100lb bag as a grappling dummy. Slam it, jump on it and strike it, slam it again etc.

this arrangement I think keeps me fit and I use combinations that I remember having learned while in the fight gym. It also lets me fit in other aspects of life without being too pent up about, oh-my-god-it’s-Monday-I-need-to-do-this-that-or-whatever.

1 Like

thanks - Glad to see your still here too.

To be honest- getting back to life was harder then I wanted it to be.
PT and Dr’s where only one part- saw a Psychiatrist, and a Neurologist
and I thought of our Service personnel allot.

Being depressed and in pain sucks ass- but there are service
people working and getting blown up, losing limbs and are living life.
Bless those people for wanting life.

Im actually getting my son gloves and focus pads this week ,
he wants to do that vs play ball.