Your Typical Workout

Much obliged, Idaho, disclaimers and all. That is fairly in line with my own initial impressions having taken a cursory look at the system. I do some work where I carry an ASP, which was the primary appeal for me.

In all likelihood I will stick with a more conventional striking system (boxing or MT) for now, but Kali/Arnis/Escrima has always piqued my curiosity a little and I will probably have to give it a go at some point.

Cheers.

High workload at the moment for me.

Strength and Conditioning Sessions - 3 times a week.
Monday - Squats and Olympic Lifts before interval training
Wednesday - Upper body before complexes
Friday - Deadlifts before sprint routines
Recovery Sessions - 3 times a week.
Just picking up the pieces from the previous days training.

Boxing sessions; 6 evenings a week.
Monday Wednesday and Friday;
2 hour sessions. I focus on technique and avoiding a lull into an aerobic pace.
Bags Shadowboxing and Pads
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday;
1 hour sessions. Short fast sessions, generally sparring, pads and drilling.

Pardon; I only just saw the original poster specify that he’d like a breakdown…

In my two hour sessions its broken up like so

<20 min Warmup
6x3 Bagwork
3x3 Shadowboxing
15 Minutes Corework
4x3 Bagwork
4x3 Padwork
4x3 Shadowboxing
Technical work (whatever the boss man deems to be required)
<10 min Cooldown

The one hour sessions;
<10 min warmup
2x3 Bagwork (just easing in)
6x3 Padwork
Drilling, Technique and Movement.

Generally my coach will brief me on my focus; what I require for the forthcoming contest; and put a structure in place that will add these technical qualities to my game.

I don’t really strickly structure my weight training. Currently I’m doing the Russian Squat routine for masters for my squat and OHP. Otherwise I do timed rest weighted push-ups and pulls for varying reps and sets four or five times a week with rings and the perfect push-up handles. Flat and incline. Dips, tricep extentions on the rings and yes…arm curls. The neck harness and the Bruno 3-way finisher.

I run about 3-4 miles two days a week and do BJJ 2-4 times a week.

Right now, I do this…

Every morning, 12 pull ups - 4 pistols (right leg) - 24 press ups - 4 pistols (left leg) - 12 chin ups with no rest in between. I’m slowly increasing the numbers on a weekly basis. It pains me to say that while I can do 15 pull ups, doing 30 strict press ups is a struggle. No strength endurance in my triceps left…

On top of this, I do BJJ twice a week and stand up fighting 1-2x a week. There, we usually lay down the mats (we train in a school gymnasium), then warm up with lots of feet bouncing, arm circles, rolls and stretches, then we practice drills and do sparring for the last 30 minutes.

I miss weight lifting, but the gym I went to is currently relocating and training with what they left behind is a pain. But I will get back to it since I notice that a few weeks with no deadlifting really make me feel weaker.

I just started The Cube with my own variation added to it. Pretty excited about it.

I’m on the James Toney system:

5AM: wake up, walk outside and lace up shoes. Sit down and stare at the road for 3 minutes and decide I’d rather go back to bed. Do so.
8AM: two microwave pizza pockets, a bowl of captain crunch with chocolate milk.
9AM: Pack gym bag, go to leave for gym when suddenly The bold and the Beautiful comes on TV, decide world championships can wait for my drama.
1030AM: Eventually get to gym, Freddie tells me I need to get some rope work in, tell Freddie he needs to go fuck himself.
1035AM: Sparring
11AM: sparring
1PM: sparring
4PM: sparring
6PM: burger king! yeah baby!

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
I’m on the James Toney system:

5AM: wake up, walk outside and lace up shoes. Sit down and stare at the road for 3 minutes and decide I’d rather go back to bed. Do so.
8AM: two microwave pizza pockets, a bowl of captain crunch with chocolate milk.
9AM: Pack gym bag, go to leave for gym when suddenly The bold and the Beautiful comes on TV, decide world championships can wait for my drama.
1030AM: Eventually get to gym, Freddie tells me I need to get some rope work in, tell Freddie he needs to go fuck himself.
1035AM: Sparring
11AM: sparring
1PM: sparring
4PM: sparring
6PM: burger king! yeah baby!

[/quote]

When I read ‘I’m on the James Toney routine’, this is the first thing that came into my head. Damn funny. Man, I still love Toney, even though there are some big names at super middle that are missing from his record.

Last year when I was competing I trained Standup 3x and Grappling about 2x a week at the gym, but always did cross-sparring in somebody’s backyard several times a week.

The only thing I did for conditioning was the Bas Rutten Boxing/Thaiboxing Workout, most of the time shadowboxing with 1lbs ankle weights. I love that old tape, if you practice it for a couple of weeks you get really fast and in amazing shape.
Tried to complete it now, didnt even make it to round 10…

My weightlifting routine was scarce.
Power to the People Deadlifts and Side Presses 3-5x a week, always wrapping the workout up with Get Ups or a couple KB Snatches.
Throughout the day I practiced Pullups with Pavel’s GTG.

I was 145-150lbs for almost 2 years. Now without Martial Arts Im arround 180.
My past me could kick my ass though!

Bump this thread. I am brand new here, although I have lurked for a few weeks. I found this to be one of the most interesting threads yet it is significantly outdated. Curious if everyone is still doing the same thing or if training has evolved. I’m looking to begin a strength program and want to see what I can learn for you established guys.

I’m working husband/dad who decided last year to receive training in self defense given the way to world is heading. Completed a handful of firearm classes, some hand to hand defense classes, and am scheduled for blade weapons seminar in July. I shoot twice a week and dry fire training daily. I hit pads and practice some of the grapple work I learned with a friend who also trains BJJ twice a week in his garage. I’m looking to begin strength training to supplement my overall training for personal protection and defense for my family. I appreciate this forum as I have zero interest in bodybuilding, however I respect the importance of strength training for both physical and mental reasoning - if I look strong I may be less of a target? Any ways, thanks to everyone here who serves for our freedoms and thanks to everyone who contributes on this forum so guys like me can learn.

Oh, a final request. If you are doing 5/3/1, can you specify what it actually looks like? My initial findings is that there are a billion ways to run that program!

I’m enjoying this thread as well. I have 4 years of lifting experience and at 6’00" 285 lbs of buff and fluff I don’t exactly have people lining up to fight me during my normal course of business. I also work as a bouncer occasionally, and I think having an intimidating appearance is enough to deter your typical street thug from selecting you as a target. Being large and polite has definitely helped produce mostly good outcomes at work.

I’m one month into my BJJ experience and loving every aspect of it (except the abductor strain I’m currently healing from). It is humbling in every way I can imagine. Learning how to balance lifting and BJJ is something I’ll be working on for the near future. I certainly appreciate the more experienced members sharing their approaches.

I have all of Jim’s books and I’ve run 5/3/1 for most of my lifting career. I’m unsure of what my maxes are but my best recent lifts have been a 335 bench, a 500 squat and a 615 deadlift. All lifts raw with belt only, lifetime drug-free, 37 years old began lifting at 33. 5/3/1 works.

You’re right that you can run it sooooo many ways. I’d actually recommend getting the 2nd edition of the original book. I have not read anything else that so concisely explains the principles needed to have success in the weight room. 5/3/1 Forever seems great but I haven’t finished reading it yet and I haven’t run any of the templates, so I can’t speak to their effectiveness.

The lifting component is really pretty simple. You work up to one, ONE top set of your big barbell exercises and push it for reps as hard as you can. A typical squat workout for me might look like this…

135x5
225x5
315x3
365x3
405x8 (top set)

Then on to assistance. That could be more squatting at a lighter weight, leg press, leg extensions, hamstring curls, calf work, whatever helps you meet your goals.

I like to think of the original 5/3/1 as a time-efficient way to get stronger while doing the least amount of work necessary to actually get stronger. One top set can absolutely be enough if you’re doing everything else well!

Buy the book it is worth every penny! Amazon has it.

When I ran 5/3/1 I did it on the two day split, one workout would be deadlifts+OHP and the other would be squat+bench, however these can be done in any combination. As you said you’re a working father who does other training this may work best for you as it obviously saves time and allows for greater recovery between sessions.

In terms of the accessory exercises I don’t think it’s necessarily that important to stick to any particular variation as long as the main 4 lifts are done properly. You can just start out with a variation you like the look of, then play around with it till you find what works. With strength training there’s never a one size fits all, you will have to spend some time finding out what works for you. In the same way if you find you get more out of front squats than back squats then you can just switch them out, just keep to the same 5/3/1 rep scheme.

Basically the point is it doesn’t really matter how you run it as long as you stick to the fundamentals and just find what works for you.

I agree, this was a good thread and thanks for bringing it back, reread and miss quite a few of our old posters. We lost a lot of knowledge with the absence of Londonboxer, Donny, Ausso Dave, Ranzo, and others.

Anyway, in a new place, so I lost my Kali training but was very fortunate to meet and train with a Judo instructor and another instructor who is KM trained. I usually get in a couple of days with them when work permits.

I have changed up a lot of my weight training, actually, about 80% of my training is made up of various landmine presses. T-nation has several articles on this and I have found that landmine presses, landmine squats, and farmer walks with heavy Kettlebells or dumbbells (Well, heavy for me) has improved a lot of nagging injuries, and made a large difference in over all body strength and power. I will do overpress and military press at least once a week. I know the street widsom is cannot improve punching power, you either have it or you dont, but, I swear, landmine presses has increased my punching power on the heavy bag, IMHO. I will never look like a bodybuilder, nor, do I have natural genetics, so, I train with the purpose of surviving my profession. Just wish I had access to a trap bar and prowler.

Much respect to you, Sir. As Pat Mcnamara says, you must be the guardian of your own family. I have been military/ LEO all my life and when bad things happen, only you will be there. There is a wealth of information in the “Situational Awareness, Active Shooter, Bad Ideas, and Paris Attack threads” for reading. I am not one for “motivation quotes” but I think this one has some merit:

I also would like to know if anyone else has changed up their training, I know Irish has been dealing with a shoulder injury, so, has anyone else made major changes, injuries, started a new art? TwoJarSlave wrote about BJJ and his experiences with it,lets hear from more regular members,and, new members adding their training and the purpose

BTW: twojarslave is really an unusual handle, would like to hear the story behind that one:))

Im glad this thread has been bumped. Its gold.

I have recently starting training martial arts, after recently retiring from a 15 year football (soccer) career. I have been doing BJJ 2-3 times a week for the past 18 months.

BJJ classes run for 2 hours, with the first 1.5 hours been technique and drilling, and the last 30 minutes is left for grappling. Im not very good at it, and have only managed to get 3 stripes on my white belt so far. Im considering taking up some form of striking once or twice a week to supplement this.

I train in the gym 3 times a week. 2 “upper” days and 1 “lower” day. My program is roughly similar to WS4SB. My leg day is done explosively and I am at the moment avoiding anything too heavy. This is because of a previous lower back injury that is surely but slowly getting better.

For conditioning once a week I do hill sprints on my bike, although just this week I have changed that to running hill sprints. I have been avoiding running since retiring from football to help with the lower back recovery, but there is something about running that you don’t get from biking.

tweet

As a no-stripe white belt I don’t have much to add yet. I’m still adjusting to BJJ and I’m nursing an abductor strain. The plan, once healed, is BJJ 3 day’s/week and lifting 2 days/week. The purpose of starting to BJJ is to develop a new skill and get a different kind of workout in. It is definitely a workout for a big guy like me. I leave there soaked in sweat after 90 minutes.

I also work as a part-time bouncer and I think the BJJ emphasis on controlling your opponent over strikes will help me produce more good outcomes on the rare occasions where things get violent at my little neighborhood dive bar.

It is just a goofy name I pulled from a Mr. Show skit (90’s sketch comedy on HBO) where Abe Lincoln frees the two jar slaves with an AK47.

Twojarslave,
Thanks, that is one hell of a handle and I appreciate the back story.

Before I went back with the feds, I was a street cop for several years, “controlling your subject” is used about 99% of the time, control them through whatever technique leads to compliance. Smart decision on your part, because every punch thrown or every bullet fired comes with a lawyer attached.

I used to work part time/ off duty as a bouncer at a club. I was covered under the citys liability insurance, make sure you get in writing from whomever you are working for, that you are covered under their policy. Not telling you what to do, just make sure you are covered, because someone will eventually sue you or the bar. Be safe.

thrilled to see this bumped.
have not been on here in ages barely log but still train what I can.

movement is bad
lateral motion is non existant

Im 45 and three years out from a fall at work.
destroyed my ACL PCL MCL tore two heads of the hamstring off the bone.
but I try to get after it and tear shit up.

maybe this is shit people want to read?
want to ignore? I dont know.

It feels awesome to squat something relatively big
even though I might struggle a bit with life.
ok not ashamed to type that there is no might about it.

the reality - not trying to be a douche-
is that I suck at a lot and that is where Im at
Its hurts as much to squat - as it does to sit down
ladders ,rain, stairs all can suck a dick.
I mean who uses ladders, or stairs while carrying something ?
or works outside in the rain ? walks backwards pushing and or pulling heavy things
sucks.

work - is super physical - long ass days - lots of effort.
actually I work in the entertainment business and do sports broadcasting
and concerts- more and more concerts now shift in the business and a good opportunity
even as a ‘boss’ its still physical as hell and 24 hours days are part of our lexicon as are over nights and many many 16 hour days.

training-
not much at all with grappling
doesn’t exist.
amazingly my kid at 7 loves to wrestle.
he can pummel and has good kimura armbars etc.
loves his chokes.
no idea where he gets it from.
the HS kids at my gym - know me- their coach knows me.
we have spoke a few times.
I am very very tempted to get involved .

I split in to three ‘days’ if I feel good I do them in a row.
if I feel really good I might do two ‘big days’ in a row

upper- these are the days where I am less mobile and weak as shit.
db floor press- z presses dips pullups allot of rows. alot.
chest supported row is the shit. millions of face pulls
and use machines like a geriactric

these are all boring and I suck at all of it.
however been doing some blood flow restricted direct arm work
best shit ever for fukked joints.
holy shit- serisously it is amazing

hard conditioning
one day of heavy sled push ,drag, and pull with a rope hand over hand
pair these with heavy trap bar carries and a shit ton of ab/core work
or barbell complexes, land mine circuits or pair trap pull and 500m rows.

squat and pull days.
my favorite shit.

somehow after all the knee issues I can still squat- but cant generate power to pull or clean much
PT was all about it. and they squatted everyone
particular knee replacement folk

last week was good and squatted twice
once day wut 3x5 at 365
another day wut 405 x2 then 315 2x10 and 225 2x20

not big numbers- but its what I got.
the boring stuff is really reading about what someone squats
and for that
I apologize.

You had massive injury, I remember what all you went through after surgery, 95% of all people would have given up, you didn’t, that proves you are one hell of an individual. Last week I got called in to help with some NATO troops on the firing line, an American female officer was with me. She had lost her right leg below the knee three years ago, now she is back on active duty. Like you, she did not curl up in a ball and cry. Nothing boring about reading about courage.

I know nothing about your profession, so, if you say its a
bitch, I believe you. You are setting one hell of an example for your son, IMHO, if you can, maybe at least one day a week with the wrestling would make his day. Great to hear from you, dont disappear, we have lost a lot of regulars here, dont you be one of them.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone replying and sharing their current approach. It sounds like 5/3/1 is popular, and I’m beginning to think that it works for all walks of life.

Thanks for the comments Idaho. I have appreciated your contributions on this forum. Learned a lot and hope to apply it. I have looked into Pat Mac, and will try to get with him for instruction. I’m only two hours from him so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

I am curious as to your approach for structuring all of your training. Early in this thread you said you were strength training three days a week and combat trained, for a lack of better way to say it, the other four. Do you still follow this structure or has it changed? You referenced using the Zombie workout in a different thread more recently and that workout utilizes more than three days. Right now I’m strength training MWF, at the range Tu and Sa, and practicing hand to hand on Th and Su. I guess I’m looking for reassurance or guidance on whether this is an appropriate distribution of my time and energy given my goals. What do you think?