Your Training Fee Costs

I have done some half-assed research on local combat sport gyms in my area several times over the last few years.  I wrestled in junior high and HS, but considering I'm 30 this year, thats experience is just about worthless.  I considered jj as I enjoy grappling, but also thought about some muay thai.  At any rate all the local and not so local schools I looked at were not cheap.  

Do those of you who actually train attend specific MMA gyms, or one gym for jj and one for MT etc?  Not to mention I assume most also maintain your normal gym membership as well.  Im not looking to get into actual MMA, but I'd like to expand my horizons a bit but it just seems cost prohibitive.  Im sure its a combination of the explosion of the UFC, and the area I live in.  Anyway to those of you that train simply for personal fulfillment do you still maintain both gym memberships? or just commit to one at a time?

The place where I train MMA at is $80 a month, but its a small town place. My boxing coach is a percentage of purse deal.

How much it will cost you depends where you live just like any other market.

Anything under 200 a month is pretty good. Anything under 100 is GREAT.

I go just one place for MT and a 2nd place that is all MMA. I also have a gym membership but I paid in advanced for that so I have 3 years paid for already.

The gym membership was silly because the MMA gym has its own weight room, but the gym itself has better hours and eyecandy … plus I got it on a family deal so its not too bad (also whenever i have business trips I’m not ass’d out).

A LOT of mma gyms now will have all the amenities you need. Weight room, sauna, MT, BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing etc.

imo, if you can’t find one of those “all or nothing” places. I would do one at a time. Or see what you can do other than a reg. membership.

For example community colleges usually have pretty nice gyms and it tends to be cheaper than a “globo-gym” type place. You pay your semester fee’s or whatever and enjoy.

[quote]No-Gi wrote:
The place where I train MMA at is $80 a month, but its a small town place. My boxing coach is a percentage of purse deal.[/quote]

Where in WI are you?

I’m actually in Alaska right now.

Free to anyone, as long as there is space, and everyone comes to sweat and bleed. I have a gym set up in my garage, and I live 3 miles away. No need for memberships.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
How much it will cost you depends where you live just like any other market.

Anything under 200 a month is pretty good. Anything under 100 is GREAT.

I go just one place for MT and a 2nd place that is all MMA. I also have a gym membership but I paid in advanced for that so I have 3 years paid for already.

The gym membership was silly because the MMA gym has its own weight room, but the gym itself has better hours and eyecandy … plus I got it on a family deal so its not too bad (also whenever i have business trips I’m not ass’d out).

A LOT of mma gyms now will have all the amenities you need. Weight room, sauna, MT, BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing etc.

imo, if you can’t find one of those “all or nothing” places. I would do one at a time. Or see what you can do other than a reg. membership.

For example community colleges usually have pretty nice gyms and it tends to be cheaper than a “globo-gym” type place. You pay your semester fee’s or whatever and enjoy.[/quote]

my man. I know there are a handful of actual MMA gyms in my area, but I wanted to focus on one particular style. Looks like what Ive been quoted is the going rate. As a general rule are you responsible for your own conditioning in most of these gyms? I dont want to spend the money to spend half the time doing windsprints or some other nonsense.

MT/BJJ school: $100/month
gym 1 (YMCA): $35/month
gym 2 (oldschool hardass bare essentials type gym): $15/month

Although, I also have to spend a minimum of $40 a week in gas to drive to MT/BJJ class, because it’s 70 miles away.

Depends where you go… ask upfront… most places conditioning is completely on your own.

I pay 28 euro a month, which is about $ 40. And my school is among the best if not the best in my country, with 3 national champs.

There are 7 muay thai lessons every week and 2 mma, but the mma-classes are 80% grappling and transitions and 20% stand-up.

I only go to the mma-classes until my endurance is up to par to cope with the extra thai lessons. Might do a boldenone base/var cycle, take 2 weeks of work and train as much as possible in a few weeks.

I can also do wrestling at another gym for 8 euro a month. That’s about 12$. Might do that as well.

My TKD is $50 a year for students, $100 for general public, then $2 per class.
My gym membership at YMCA is $74 per month-I guess because it has a pool and a spa-though there are too many lecherous looking old men sitting in it for me. I am just happy being the only one deadlifting in the gym.

Oh thats $AUD too…

My experience with leaving conditioning up to guys to do on their own time is they don’t bother. Look for a place with sport specific conditioning classes on top of instructional and technical classes.

$100 to $150 seems a reasonable rate in Ontario if we consider only legit gyms and not the dime a dozen Mcdojo.

free i have been paying in blood and a deviated septum…

[quote]POINT312 wrote:
free i have been paying in blood and a deviated septum…[/quote]

The old gym I used to go was like that. No monthly dues, but we trained so hard that only the guys who REALLY wanted to be there lasted more than a couple sessions. Great atmosphere.

its the best way to learn if you really love the game you’ll be there and wont want to miss a day because someone might get ahead of you…

When I started out in Guam, it was $20/mo at Purebred/Fokai.

In Chicago, I purchased a punch card at a kickboxing place for $100 - 10 sessions, and was also training at Tony Cecchine’s for free(assload of gas, even back then - 45 min drive one way).

In Virginia, I started training at $100/month for just grappling 2-3x per week, but that gym has since raised its prices. Pretty much all the decent gyms in the Norfolk/Va Beach area are around $150/mo unlimited classes.

50/month BJJ
40/month Gym
40/month Muay Thai

There’s a wrestling club that I’d like to join as they have a bunch of high school and collegiate guys(during the summer,) but I can’t really find the time to fit it in.

What a letdown. I stopped into a ‘kickboxing’ gym that just recently opened about 5 min up the road. I saw an ad the other day and had passed it while it was under construction. I saw a shitload of heavy bags and it piqued my interest. It turns out its a ‘fitness’ kickboxing gym. Not MT, with true technique being taught. Man when I passed the place one day it looked real promising. They wouldnt even quote me a price over the phone, which pissed me off as well. If anyone can recommend any sport gyms in the north jersey area drop me a line.

North East Metro Atlanta
$120/month BJJ & MMA.

You get 10% off if you pay for 1 year in advance.