T Nation

Your Training Attire

What do you ladies and gentlemen wear when training?

As far as the lower half goes, I used to be a fan of lacrosse shorts for all forms of “exercising,” but now that I’m squatting and deadlifting the past several years, I find that mesh shorts of any kind are not too conducive to good squats and deadlifts. Maybe it’s just me, but the loose fit has been a distraction lately.

I can see now for the first time why the jacked gentlemen of yore wore those shorty-tennis shorts all the time with impunity. I am honestly considering purchasing singlets/rehband compression shorts/compression pants or shorts of any recommended variety to replace all my athletic shorts when training squats, at least. Does anyone have any input on this?

As far as tops, does anyone find loose or tight fitting t-shirts to be of any benefit? I know for squatting, some loose material, in my experience, tends to create some friction/surface area for the bar, but then again I know Csulli made a compelling argument before that going shirtless altogether is most conducive to benching. Again, I would appreciate any insight.

Also, somewhat related, do you guys have trouble finding decent jeans to wear? I am now forced to buy wide leg as a necessity. I suppose this is a good thing.

Thanks.

In b4 Osu gives me his beginner powerlifting routine.

Too all: Please, I know this is a fairly trivial matter, but It’s what I’m curious about. I sincerely appreciate your responses, but please stick to the topic. Thanks.

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
I know for squatting, some loose material, in my experience, tends to create some friction/surface area for the bar, but then again I know Csulli made a compelling argument before that going shirtless altogether is most conducive to benching.[/quote]
Lol true. I always bench shirtless. For deads I wear loose athletic pants. For squat I wear regular athletic shorts. Lower body attire doesn’t really matter to me on bench. A lot of the times I’ll just wear jeans.

Unless I’m benching, I always, always wear some kind of tank top. Sleeves are the enemy of gains.

  1. You should wear a singlet every time you go to the gym.

  2. You’ve inspired me to write a book. I will call it ‘Jacked Gentlemen of yore.’

  3. I’ve never seen a thread on here about jeans not fitting well because of over sized quads. I think that’s a topic we should discuss in greater depth. Hopefully that will happen here.

  4. This belongs in GAL.

I like polyester material for the legs since its stretchy. Cotton shorts eventually tear while squatting. I wear these elite fts tri-blend shirts that I like quite a lot. Regular cotton is fine too though.

For jeans I just buy a size or two bigger around the waist and its much more comfortable. I could probably get the waistline taken in, but I just havent gotten around to it.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

  1. You should wear a singlet every time you go to the gym.

  2. You’ve inspired me to write a book. I will call it ‘Jacked Gentlemen of yore.’

  3. I’ve never seen a thread on here about jeans not fitting well because of over sized quads. I think that’s a topic we should discuss in greater depth. Hopefully that will happen here.

  4. This belongs in GAL.[/quote]

Interesting - do you wear singlets every time?

The jeans convo definitely belongs in GAL, and I mostly mentioned it for shits and giggles, but as far as training attire, I want to know specifically what you powerlifters wear. I’m not interested in what johnny-curls-a-lot wears to the gym. So I hope the mods leave it.

Also, flipcollar, I’d appreciate a proper mention when JGOY gets published. Thanks.

I always wear compression boxer-briefs, because regular boxer-briefs get stretched out to the point that they’re basically boxers, and boxers just simply get blown out. I wear regular Underarmour mesh shorts, but I like them a little short so that they end above the knee because I get agitated when my knees get snagged on the end while squatting or deadlifting.

On top, its usually a normal t-shirt these days. Prior to a few months ago, it was always Underarmour stuff because otherwise I’d be a sweaty disgusting mess after about 20 minutes; since dropping 45lbs, I can wear regular-people shit. This may change again when it warms back up. I like regular cotton/polyester shirts more, ultimately, because I think they give a little better grip on the bench or the bar.

Also, jeans suck. My wife has attempted to buy me jeans no less than five times in the past six months only to find I can’t get the waist over my calves. She didn’t notice it says “Straight Leg” on the tag, apparently, which is obviously grounds for her to get pissed off at me.

^you can’t get the waist over your calves? I’m having trouble picturing this, what does that mean? You can’t be saying your calves are larger than your waist…

I don’t wear a singlet, I was joking. Although wearing a singlet a few times before competition makes sense if you want to get used to doing it. For squatting, I don’t really have a preference, but I’d prefer to wear shorts if I’m going to be doing a high volume squat workout. As long as the shorts/pants don’t hinder the motion, I don’t think it matters much. I’ve found that the shirt does matter. I prefer sleeveless heavy cotton t shirts. If the material is slick, like underarmour, I have trouble keeping the bar in position.

I always deadlift and oly lift in shorts. I really don’t like dragging the bar against sweat pants, it’s distracting to me.

Bench press I’m not particular at all.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

  1. You should wear a singlet every time you go to the gym.

  2. You’ve inspired me to write a book. I will call it ‘Jacked Gentlemen of yore.’

  3. I’ve never seen a thread on here about jeans not fitting well because of over sized quads. I think that’s a topic we should discuss in greater depth. Hopefully that will happen here.

  4. This belongs in GAL.[/quote]

I have the problem described in 3, and my quads/hams aren’t even huge. Also, check out this article as to #3. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/sports/olympics/chasing-gold-and-jeans-that-fit.html?_r=0

Shorts and a sleeveless “running” shirt. It’s thin and wicks away sweat better than a cotton tee (in my opinion). I don’t like that sweaty cotton shirt feeling. No boxers or undies, I use the under-armor type boxer briefs - I have big thighs so they rub, lol. The shorts have to be roughly at or above the knee level so they don’t interfere.

Tip: Rub chalky hands on shorts and sides of shirt by the waist after a heavy set - improves the cool factor, lol. Caveat, only chalk hands if you need it, don’t be a pencil neck DL’ing 135lbs with chalk and yelling, dropping the bar, etc. - yep, there’s some douches in my gym who do just that.

I don’t understand how some of the jacked guys in my gym wear gold chains and bracelets. I mean, they’re jacked, and fashionable.

My calves are about 19inches each at the largest point; the tape measure I have handy right now says 20 but its not cloth so there’s some slack. My waist is about 35inches at the narrowest point, again with a bit of error due to the tape. I’ve had abnormally large calves my whole life; never tried to get them, don’t particularly want them. They just make shit uncomfortable.

I usually buy 36/32’s, which is fine and dandy with a boot cut or whatever, but the hip area (really just past the waist, I suppose) on the skinny jeans my wife attempts to put me in? Terrible.

[quote]youngoldguy wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

  1. You should wear a singlet every time you go to the gym.

  2. You’ve inspired me to write a book. I will call it ‘Jacked Gentlemen of yore.’

  3. I’ve never seen a thread on here about jeans not fitting well because of over sized quads. I think that’s a topic we should discuss in greater depth. Hopefully that will happen here.

  4. This belongs in GAL.[/quote]

I have the problem described in 3, and my quads/hams aren’t even huge. Also, check out this article as to #3. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/sports/olympics/chasing-gold-and-jeans-that-fit.html?_r=0
[/quote]

First off, your avatar cracks me up every damn time I see it. Before reading your posts I have to watch it at least 3 times, laugh, slap my knee, giggle, and then proceed to attempt to read in a serious, comprehensive fashion.

Second, I’d agree with the jeans and quads. I have that same problem, especially with my work pants/slacks. I have some that are nice and I fit them a few years ago, but now the quad/hams part is tight to the point where I can’t wear them anymore. The waist area is fine, but it looks like I’m wearing tights to work. The pants were expensive and are in great shape, but I just can’t wear them with my legs, balls, and package popping through.

[quote]TB284 wrote:
My calves are about 19inches each at the largest point; the tape measure I have handy right now says 20 but its not cloth so there’s some slack. My waist is about 35inches at the narrowest point, again with a bit of error due to the tape. I’ve had abnormally large calves my whole life; never tried to get them, don’t particularly want them. They just make shit uncomfortable.

I usually buy 36/32’s, which is fine and dandy with a boot cut or whatever, but the hip area (really just past the waist, I suppose) on the skinny jeans my wife attempts to put me in? Terrible.[/quote]

I grew up walking up this steep ass hill to school everyday as a kid. Then in middle/high school I was into street skateboarding, jumping off stairs and all that shit, played soccer and football as well. My calves always looked like I had a mini-butt on each leg. Just be happy you don’t have small calves! That’s a true curse in my opinion…

I was at a poker tournament this past weekend and one guy had calves so small I was offended. They were just so small and…gross…I wonder how people even manage to walk, let alone go up stairs, with calves that are barely existing…yuck


Have you mo-fo’s caught the gay or something? Talking about “lifting attire”…

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
I was at a poker tournament this past weekend and one guy had calves so small I was offended.[/quote]

I couldn’t stop laughing after reading this. But yeah, I guess I’m definitely at the better of the two extremes, I know some guys that have the opposite affliction and it is worse.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Have you mo-fo’s caught the gay or something? Talking about “lifting attire”… [/quote]

Hmm, upon deeper thought, you’re right. Here. Have a frosty Brawndo, on me.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

  1. I’ve never seen a thread on here about jeans not fitting well because of over sized quads. I think that’s a topic we should discuss in greater depth. Hopefully that will happen here.
    [/quote]

I feel your pain. I have a 28 inch waist, and nearly all jeans size 30 or smaller are fucking skinny jeans for guys with no ass or quads. My legs aren’t huge but I have only found two styles that fit me because of it.

I squat, bench and deadlift in the same training session, sessions often lasting 2 hours and being 30+ sets with no accessory work and since just squatting drenches me in sweat, I need another cotton shirt I can bench in. I use minimum 2 shirts per session, both soaked in sweat by the time I’m done. Mostly I’ll wear leggings type stuff or shorts for squatting, benching and deadlifting.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I always bench shirtless. [/quote]
When did you say you were going to be benching at my gym again?

[quote]csulli wrote:
I always bench shirtless. [/quote]