Your Top 5 Computer Games

What are they, and why? Don’t lie to me - you know that there are games, quite a few from your teenage years, that you’ll never forget, and always cherish. Mine:

1. Half Life (and Counterstrike) - fused action and adventure in an FPS in such an awesome way. Had seen nothing like it before this!

2. Grim Fandango - not sure how many of you touched this, but it was like a top class film. Incredible atmosphere, characters and writing. Unrivalled in its hilarity.

3. Unreal - the atmosphere, the atmosphere!

4. Dizzy (Commodore 64) - you played a fucking puzzle-solving egg!!! Hidden coins in magic clouds. What more can you want?

5. Age of Empires 1/2 - nothing better than setting up your english longbowmen well outside the range of the enemy’s shitty seige weaponry. Also, using your priests to convert men from a distance! Holy shit, literally!

EDIT: How the fuck did I forget about Morrowind!? Talk about atmosphere in a game! I actually wanted to be transported there!

Quake - the game that got me started. especially with godmode cause I was that bad.

Diablo - both of them and expansions packs.

Witcher - enjoyed the storyline.

never did finish Oblivion. didn’t do it for me. Nore Dragon Age. Did play hours of Heroes of might and magic with a box of chocolate chip cookies and a cup of green tea.

Shadow of the Colossus

(big gap)

Empire: Total War
Pokemon Silver
God of War 2
Mass Effect

[quote]Bambi wrote:
Shadow of the Colossus

(big gap)

Empire: Total War
Pokemon Silver
God of War 2
Mass Effect[/quote]

My friend composed the music for Empire: Total War. I happened to be in the room when he wrote one of the melodies. Good stuff.

I’ve never played Mass Effect (ps3!) but heard nothing but good stuff about it.

Civilization series - I lost so much sleep with that game it wasn’t even funny. Intending to play another 1/2 hr always ended up with me going “How did 3 hrs pass so quickly?”

Quest for Glory series aka Hero’s quest - My entry to RPGs, back in the days of 5 1/4 inch floppy disks.

Fallout 1 & 2 - The graphics may not have been great, but I loved the writing and atmosphere

Morrowwind

Jagged Alliance 2

Wanted to play the witcher and grim fandango, but never got around to it.

Frozen Throne (WcIII alone wasn’t that good, but with the expansion, kicked ass)

Starcraft 2, lots of features of Wc3 gone, with no good reason behind, that’s why it slips behind, even though with every feature included it’d clearly be ahead.

Red Alert 2, awesome awesome fast paced game, puts the arcade game in RTS, but lack of support from company and smaller community made it relatively short lived.

Counterstrike, favorite FPS.

Diablo 2 with LOD, blizzard games without expansion aren’t that good lawl. Act 5 >> any other act.

Special mention goes to Max Payne 1 and Red Faction 1.

What’s with all this new school BS? Didn’t any of you play real computer games?

Prince of Persia
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
Myst
Age of Empires
SimCity

C&C: red alert
starcraft
diablo
Chronotrigger (played on emulator)
Age of empires

Top 3 in no particular order

1. Starcraft
  2. Age of Empires II
  3. Civilization III

It is ungodly how much time I blew on those 3 games.

1. F.E.A.R.
  2. Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

There are better more updated versions of these two games, but both of these to me were awesome. F.E.A.R. just did a great job of bringing in great action with a f’ing creepy atmosphere, JKII was one of the first games to really allow lightsaber combat…nerdgasm.

#1 Unreal 2: XMP <---- best MP FPS game I have ever played…only problem was no-one played this game.

Diablo II
Diablo II lod
Starcraft

CS:S - Not that great of a game but i logged way more hours on that game than i wish to share.

Diablo
Diablo 2

Fallout 3
Oblivion

Starcraft 2
Starcraft 2
Starcraft 2
Starcraft 2
Starcraft 2

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Prince of Persia
Myst
Age of Empires
SimCity[/quote]

Wow, Myst. That brings me back.

Prince of Persia
Wheel of Fortune
California Games
Doom 1 & 2
Caesar II

Then I got a PS1 and never looked back.

Fallout series

Starcraft series

Diablo series

American McGee’s Alice (I still play it occasionally)

lol wheel of fortune…nice

starcraft: brood war and 2
diablo 2
warcraft 3: frozen throne
any command and conquer / red alert game
torchlight

yeah, i’m kind of a whore for blizzard.

This one, for DOS.

[quote]markdp wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Prince of Persia
Myst
Age of Empires
SimCity[/quote]

Wow, Myst. That brings me back.[/quote]

What a fucking trippy, creepy, mysterious, atmospheric, puzzling, frustrating, and most of all, enjoyable game!

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]markdp wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Prince of Persia
Myst
Age of Empires
SimCity[/quote]

Wow, Myst. That brings me back.[/quote]

What a fucking trippy, creepy, mysterious, atmospheric, puzzling, frustrating, and most of all, enjoyable game!
[/quote]

Ya, I remember playing it on my Mac back in the mid nineties and was in awe over the graphics, lol.