Your Top 3 RPG's

So, from reading another thread, i got to thinking, “Great RPGs are hard to find now a days.” It seems that Story and content are always sacrificed for graphics or flashy dumb shit. I feel that video game makers need to go back to their roots, because quite frankly, the greatest RPGs to this day that ive ever played are for our old school systems. So, i propose we take some polls amongst the gamer crowd out there, to see if my views are held by others. If youd like to participate, list your top 3 favorite RPGS and why, and feel free to list a game ive already listed:

1. Final fantasy 3/6 (depending on the US vs japan version)-Fantastic story. Definitely the most badass game ive ever played. So much extra shit to do, so many different characters to play, all with different capabilities. With this game, you could play this game over and over and always find new things.

2. Chrono Trigger- Fantastic story line, great array of players, tons of freedom. Very close to my #1. One of the great things about CT was that you could see many different endings, 14 i believe, depending on how and when you beat the game.

3. Final Fantasy 7- Also a very close call. Story lines dont get much better than this. Tons of fun side shit to do, and the end quests added a good 20hrs to this game. I say if you never got the golden chocobo, knights of the round, and beaten the 3 ultimate weapons, you never truly beat the game.

1. Morrowind
  2. Morrowind
  3. Morrowind

Only slightly joking…

my list would probably go

1. Morrowind
  2. Baldur’s Gate 2
  3. KOTOR

I stopped playing RPGs (and video games for that matter) after Zelda - Zelda FTW!

1.Morrowind
2.Fallout 2
3.Deus Ex (its kind of a rpg)

1.Fable 2
2.Fable the lost chapters
3.Fallout 3

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
So, from reading another thread, i got to thinking, “Great RPGs are hard to find now a days.” It seems that Story and content are always sacrificed for graphics or flashy dumb shit. I feel that video game makers need to go back to their roots, because quite frankly, the greatest RPGs to this day that ive ever played are for our old school systems. So, i propose we take some polls amongst the gamer crowd out there, to see if my views are held by others. If youd like to participate, list your top 3 favorite RPGS and why, and feel free to list a game ive already listed:

1. Final fantasy 3/6 (depending on the US vs japan version)-Fantastic story. Definitely the most badass game ive ever played. So much extra shit to do, so many different characters to play, all with different capabilities. With this game, you could play this game over and over and always find new things.

2. Chrono Trigger- Fantastic story line, great array of players, tons of freedom. Very close to my #1. One of the great things about CT was that you could see many different endings, 14 i believe, depending on how and when you beat the game.

3. Final Fantasy 7- Also a very close call. Story lines dont get much better than this. Tons of fun side shit to do, and the end quests added a good 20hrs to this game. I say if you never got the golden chocobo, knights of the round, and beaten the 3 ultimate weapons, you never truly beat the game.[/quote]

Sounds exactly like my list, except I might put Chrono Trigger 1st. I just have a huge affinity for that game.

I’m not an authority on this subject, but does anybody remember the Turbo Grafx 16? There was a series of RPG’s called “Y’s” that were pretty badass. Also, Super Mario RPG was the shit.

1- Final Fantasy 7
2- Pokemon Blue
3- Pokemon Ruby

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:

3. Final Fantasy 7- Also a very close call. Story lines dont get much better than this. Tons of fun side shit to do, and the end quests added a good 20hrs to this game. I say if you never got the golden chocobo, knights of the round, and beaten the 3 ultimate weapons, you never truly beat the game.[/quote]

I would pick those if I had to choose.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, X-Men Legends, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.

[quote]thefederalist wrote:
1- Final Fantasy 7
2- Pokemon Blue
3- Pokemon Ruby[/quote]

Don’t know if this is serious, but Pokemon (Red or Blue) was awesome when I was a little kid. I would never rate it ahead of my favorites, which are all part of the Final Fantasy family (only one not mentioned already was Final Fantasy Tactics), but Pokemon on the GameBoy was pretty epic, and had a tremendous global effect.

1. Oblivion
  2. KOTOR
  3. Fallout 3

1: Zelda, a link to the past, on the SNES, (I have a SNES emulator and I still play it sometimes)

2: Final Fantasy VII, on the Playstation 1, (I completed it once and I will never ever play it again!!!

3: The Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion,

Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect
Morrowind or Oblivion

Honestly, I’m new to gaming, so I’ll just list ones that I thought were kick ass.

Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect 2
Final Fantasy VII… in fact, I’m about to play it again on an emulator.

FF7
FF8
KOTOR

Also quite liked star ocean, and the older ff’s, legend of dragoon was memorable but not good enough for this list.

[quote]Akuma01 wrote:
I say if you never got the golden chocobo, knights of the round, and beaten the 3 ultimate weapons, you never truly beat the game.[/quote]
Oh - and I agree.

KOTOR
Oblivion
The Original Fable

I was never really too big a fan of final fantasy

1. Morrowind
  2. Pokemon
  3. Fallout(s)

Honorable Mention: KOTOR

Mass effect 1 or 2
Pokemon Silver or Gold
Zelda Ocarina of time (best game of all time)