Your TBT Experience/Result

this thread is almost as stupid as people discussing it (ok its moer stupid).

but its all relative and dependant on your volume and recovery.

more volume=longer recovery. less volume=faster recovery. You can gain a hell of alot of mass on splits and you can gain a hell of alot of mass on TBT.

JUST EAT!! just work the muscle when its done recovering. since splits take longer to recover, you have a 5 day split or 4 day or w/e. and since TBT has low volume recovery is faster thats why you can lift every other day ect ect.

It doesnt really matter you can and should do both. its not that hard. /rant

[quote]bmar22 wrote:

more volume=longer recovery. less volume=faster recovery. You can gain a hell of alot of mass on splits and you can gain a hell of alot of mass on TBT.

JUST EAT!! just work the muscle when its done recovering. since splits take longer to recover, you have a 5 day split or 4 day or w/e. and since TBT has low volume recovery is faster thats why you can lift every other day ect ect.

It doesnt really matter you can and should do both. its not that hard. /rant[/quote]

Yo jackass - you talk about stupid. Did you read the original post?

The OP is asking what EXPERIENCE PEOPLE HAVE HAD DOING TBT. He did NOT ask “What is better - splits or TBT?”

Thanks for your lecture on volume and recovery, but you MISSED THE POINT OF THE THREAD.

So I am assuming you are only referring to yourself when you talk about stupid people discussing a stupid thread.

/rant response

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
bmar22 wrote:

The OP is asking what EXPERIENCE PEOPLE HAVE HAD DOING TBT. He did NOT ask “What is better - splits or TBT?”

Thanks for your lecture on volume and recovery, but you MISSED THE POINT OF THE THREAD.

So I am assuming you are only referring to yourself when you talk about stupid people discussing a stupid thread.

/rant response

[/quote]

=) damnn

holy heavens good gracious! lol i actually wasnt replying to the OP himself I was responding to the responders.

/response rant response

I didnt mean to come off mean to the OP i actually love TBT and am currently doing it now. The OP could take out of my rant is that TBT can def. work for alot of the reasons why the ‘Yo Jackass’ guy except he was on a cut.

…and crap this lil rant was probably meant for the ‘split v.s. tbt’ thread not this one hahahahaha wow. i kinda dropped the ball on this one…my bad. but ya. TBT is way cool.

/mentally retardationism

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
NewDamage wrote:
bmar22 wrote:

/rant response

=) damnn
[/quote]

I bet he walked over to the power rack where some doofus was texting his latest MySpace conquest, took the Crackberry out of Johnny’s hand and posted this resonse, then went back to do a second set of 700 lb DLs.

Come on, don’t lie to us. That was too accurate not to make you blush.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
bmar22 wrote:

/rant response
[/quote]

DAMN! LOL

Thanks for the info guys! I guess it pretty much individualized if it helps you gain mass or not, but surely 90% of the TBT people have gained some decent strength. After reading the workouts from Scrawny to Brawny by Michael Mejia, Power Training by Robert Remedios, Built for Show by Nate Green, and Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey, I realized none of them employ a traditional push/pull or back+bi/chest+tri/leg split, most of them use TBT or a upper/lower split at most. Interesting to see how far I will go with TBT in two months. So far I’ve gained 3-4 pounds, hopefully it isn’t all fat :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Mondy wrote:
Thanks for the info guys! I guess it pretty much individualized if it helps you gain mass or not, but surely 90% of the TBT people have gained some decent strength.[/quote]

I’ve found total-body workouts to be good for fat-loss routines and also if trying to increase overall body strength and size through the use of compound lifts and plenty of food while limiting weight workouts to three days per week. So they work well for beginners and for intermediate and advanced trainers who have used body part splits or upper/lower splits for some time and need a change (as get1morerep experimented with).

Are they good for looking like a bodybuilder? Definitely not. Although the frequency is good, you just don’t have the time or energy to hit the body the way you need to in order to bring up weak points or work on smaller muscles (arms, shoulders, calves).

We can all agree that compound lifts should be used to get the most bang for the buck. But I don’t agree with the authors when they say that you don’t need isolation exercises if you use compound lifts. Sure, compound lifts will add a certain amount of size and strength, but you will not be able to go beyond that (or bring up weaknesses) if you don’t also use isolation exercises. Use both!

Look at who the audience is for all of the above authors and their books:

1. Beginners
  2. People who have not trained properly
  3. Athletes

None of those authors/books target bodybuilders or those wanting to look like a bodybuilder. They are geared toward the average person. In this case, the average person has a job, other responsibilities and only 3-4 days per week to train. They want to add some muscle, lose some fat and get a little stronger and some may be weekend warriors, but overall, they are not bodybuilders and don’t have the time to devote to bodybuilding.

[quote]Interesting to see how far I will go with TBT in two months. So far I’ve gained 3-4 pounds, hopefully it isn’t all fat :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

As with any training program, you’ll make some good progress for a while. But then you will have gained a certain amount of size and strength and your body will become accustomed to the workouts and it will be time to change things around. You’ll most likely have to switch to an upper/lower split or bodypart routine.

[quote]Protoculture wrote:
Kanada wrote:
for me, splits stagnate my growth, i just can’t hit one body part a day hard enough and recover. splits burn me out.

TBT, in this case Waterbury’s Huge in a Hurry programs, have me gettin bigger than ever. im only on week 3 of get ready, and all my lifts are prs(not 1rm, i dont seem to have the ability to hit it). this is followin a month of more or less infrequent training due to exams and xmas.

i like is and its great time wise. in and out fast and its easy to schedule

You’re only on week 3 and it has gotten you bigger than ever? By how many inches did your measurements go up by, or how much weight did you gain?

[/quote]

Why is it we never get responses to these questions?

If you log on and claim, “[quote]in this case Waterbury’s Huge in a Hurry programs, have me gettin bigger than ever[/quote]”, why is it they never let us know how much they’ve gained?

Is it a secret?

If you can come to that conclusion in only 3 weeks, you must be growing like a weed…right?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Protoculture wrote:
Kanada wrote:
for me, splits stagnate my growth, i just can’t hit one body part a day hard enough and recover. splits burn me out.

TBT, in this case Waterbury’s Huge in a Hurry programs, have me gettin bigger than ever. im only on week 3 of get ready, and all my lifts are prs(not 1rm, i dont seem to have the ability to hit it). this is followin a month of more or less infrequent training due to exams and xmas.

You’re only on week 3 and it has gotten you bigger than ever? By how many inches did your measurements go up by, or how much weight did you gain?

If you log on and claim, “in this case Waterbury’s Huge in a Hurry programs, have me gettin bigger than ever”, why is it they never let us know how much they’ve gained?

Is it a secret?

If you can come to that conclusion in only 3 weeks, you must be growing like a weed…right?[/quote]

It’s because you didn’t post the question in time. They can’t respond because their phenomenal rate of hypertrophy has landed them in a bed unable to move, let alone type a reply.

The unfortunate Waterbury disciple has gained so much mass that they are destined to be cared for until their dying day by a gaggle of voluptuous Swedish nurses, ready to comply with their every whim.

Which program did they use again?

Did “Stripped Down Hypertrophy,” a 5 days-a-week tbt programme. Got a lot stronger and a lot bigger. I believe I started at about 73 kilos… In the end, I was 87. As my body started to recompose itself in the final weeks, I actually got slightly lighter, and even “lost” weight around NY cause I wasn’t eating so much fiber all the time.

Off the top of my head, I gained about 30 lbs on my close-grip bench, 45 lbs on my deadlift and 40 lbs on my front squat over these 12 weeks. And these were NOT newbie gains, I had already been lifting seriously for a few months by then. I regressed slightly on these gains when I went through deconditioning, but still, I think those gains were alright.

However, the workouts were tough as shit… 27 sets of big compound exercises 5 days a week are NO JOKE. I am not trying to brag by saying this, but I have more dedication than most people I know, and sometimes it was just very psychologically challenging to persevere.

Towards the end, my joints were starting to trouble me, it was mentally draining, and in I wanted to work on my balance: for example, my calves hadn’t grown at ALL, even though i was a lot heavier after those 3 months.

Despite these minuses, I think I’ll do stripped down hypertrophy - or a variant - again sometime. Despite how counterintuitive it felt at first, it was a kick-ass programme.

On the other hand, I feel apprehensive about all these offbeat 3-day a week TBT programmes, where you keep shuffling exercises and set-rep schemes all the time.

£.02

G

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Protoculture wrote:
Kanada wrote:

If you log on and claim, “in this case Waterbury’s Huge in a Hurry programs, have me gettin bigger than ever”, why is it they never let us know how much they’ve gained?

Is it a secret?

If you can come to that conclusion in only 3 weeks, you must be growing like a weed…right?[/quote]

haha i feel honored, the forums big boys are gettin on my back. i accept all criticsm, when i did splits i didnt have my diet or supp game down, and i didnt train right. i know splits work and chances are they’ll work for me in the future

on my personal side, since youd like some evidence of improvment, i can only give you subjective evidence.

my weight has never broken 165, and im 5’8. in september, 225x3 was approximately my max back squat, i never truely did deadlifts, and maxed 185 bench. im 19, and after a month and a half of splits, i was burnt out and dropped 6 pounds(154). at this point i was mentally frustrated with aplits, and Waterbury seemed like at least a way to have fun.

november was the 30 day mass plan, which got me back to 160+ and the beginnin of heavy(relative) weights. early december had me reppin 185x9 on the bench, which blew my mind.

december exams took a toll, so i focused on school, did some Waterbury style workouts over xmas break, and got his book.

january had me changin my diet to lower carbs, high fat and protein, more meals, more fishoil, vitamin D, and a nice roundtable of Biotest shit. Surge, L-Leucine ect. i just finished Waterbury’s 3 week “get ready” period, and my lifts looks like this

front squat, 215x5(form limiting)
back squat, 225x8(i need to max soon)
dumbell press, 80x3-4
chinups +30lbs, 5(need to retest)
deadlift, 185x5(grip is a weakness, but gettin better)

am i a finished product? nope, i never will be. am i a tbt disciple? also no, it works right now though. i workout 3 days a week with weights, followin huge in a hurry. once a week, soon to be twice, is 2 hour brazilian jiu jitsu class, and once a week is water polo. why do i like tbt? i get to hit legs 3 times a week, and chest, andback…

and right now it works. to say tbt is worthless, or that you cant get huge with it is just as ignorant a statement as sayin tbt is the best way to train. would i (eventually) get big on splits, i hope so. will i eventually get big on tbt? i believe so, just gimme a few years for my body to build. 2 years ago i was a 135lbs 17 year old, now im 165lbs at 19. and when i started? i was 4’9, 90lbs at 13 just enterin high school. every day i make progress, so im happy stickin with it.

to prof x, i give no disrespect, and take none from you. same to the others who chuckled at me. i’ll do my best to be that one tbt guy who actually looks like a lifter, till i decide arthur jones is worth a shot

[quote]Kanada wrote:

to prof x, i give no disrespect, and take none from you. same to the others who chuckled at me. i’ll do my best to be that one tbt guy who actually looks like a lifter, till i decide arthur jones is worth a shot
[/quote]

No matter what route you take, to “look like a lifter” is going to take A WHILE.

Not weeks, not months, BUT YEARS.

And most importantly, you need to make sure you are progressing in both bodyweight AND strength during those years, at a reasonable pace.

If you do that, no matter what route you take, you’ll get there.

Good luck.

and why are my lack of immediate answers laughable? i am a student, and i posted to give my experiance. after that, i had to research colonialism in africa for an annotated bibliography due tomorrow. i spend as much time as i can spare here, but im a learner, i dont have wisdom to spout.

try not assume every poster is either an uneducated peon with unfortuante access to a medium that allows unfiltered ejaculation of information, or an overrighteous, probably overeducated peon who happens to lack the ability to filter his/her magnomonius intellect. some of us newcomers try to help others too

[quote]Kanada wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Protoculture wrote:
Kanada wrote:

Is it a secret?

If you can come to that conclusion in only 3 weeks, you must be growing like a weed…right?

haha i feel honored, the forums big boys are gettin on my back. i accept all criticsm, when i did splits i didnt have my diet or supp game down, and i didnt train right. i know splits work and chances are they’ll work for me in the future

on my personal side, since youd like some evidence of improvment, i can only give you subjective evidence.

my weight has never broken 165, and im 5’8. in september, 225x3 was approximately my max back squat, i never truely did deadlifts, and maxed 185 bench. im 19, and after a month and a half of splits, i was burnt out and dropped 6 pounds(154). at this point i was mentally frustrated with aplits, and Waterbury seemed like at least a way to have fun.

november was the 30 day mass plan, which got me back to 160+ and the beginnin of heavy(relative) weights. early december had me reppin 185x9 on the bench, which blew my mind.

december exams took a toll, so i focused on school, did some Waterbury style workouts over xmas break, and got his book.

january had me changin my diet to lower carbs, high fat and protein, more meals, more fishoil, vitamin D, and a nice roundtable of Biotest shit. surge, leucine ect. i just finished waterburys 3 week “get ready” period, and my lifts looks like this

front squat, 215x5(form limiting)
back squat, 225x8(i need to max soon)
dumbell press, 80x3-4
chinups +30lbs, 5(need to retest)
deadlift, 185x5(grip is a weakness, but gettin better)

am i a finished product? nope, i never will be. am i a tbt disciple? also no, it works right now though. i workout 3 days a week with weights, followin huge in a hurry. once a week, soon to be twice, is 2 hour brazilian jiu jitsu class, and once a week is water polo. why do i like tbt? i get to hit legs 3 times a week, and chest, andback…

and right now it works. to say tbt is worthless, or that you cant get huge with it is just as ignorant a statement as sayin tbt is the best way to train. would i (eventually) get big on splits, i hope so. will i eventually get big on tbt? i believe so, just gimme a few years for my body to build. 2 years ago i was a 135lbs 17 year old, now im 165lbs at 19. and when i started? i was 4’9, 90lbs at 13 just enterin high school. every day i make progress, so im happy stickin with it.

[/quote]

I didn’t disrespect you. I challenged you because most of these fuckers never show much progress or explain any in detail. In the end, I don’t even believe most “numbers” I read on this site. If there is no picture of the poster, I assume most of it is made up.

I also think your time would be best spent making it to the gym about 5 days a week.

You say you dropped weight and burned yourself out in only a month and a half of doing splits. Let me ask you…do you simply not understand that all signs point to you not eating enough?

You’re 5’8". I used to train with a guy who was 5’7" at 220lbs and while he would look pretty big to many, he wasn’t exactly Ronnie Coleman. I think you are selling yourself short.

Why is proving this statement, “[quote]i’ll do my best to be that one tbt guy who actually looks like a lifter[/quote]” more important than simply growing bigger and stronger at the fastest rate possible?

currently, tbt feels like the best, most effective way to train. and i accept your challenge, i will post videos in the near future

prof x, in my above post, i stated that i did not eat, supplement, or train right. therefore i blame me for burnin out

I lost about 13 lbs, mostly fat using a Waterbury TBT program. It wasn’t done to his exact specifications, but I adapted it pretty close. I trained twice a day 3x/week and added cardio once or twice and a recovery pool workout. All compound movement supersets. It worked well.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Mondy wrote:
Thanks for the info guys! I guess it pretty much individualized if it helps you gain mass or not, but surely 90% of the TBT people have gained some decent strength.

I’ve found total-body workouts to be good for fat-loss routines and also if trying to increase overall body strength and size through the use of compound lifts and plenty of food while limiting weight workouts to three days per week. So they work well for beginners and for intermediate and advanced trainers who have used body part splits or upper/lower splits for some time and need a change (as get1morerep experimented with).

Are they good for looking like a bodybuilder? Definitely not. Although the frequency is good, you just don’t have the time or energy to hit the body the way you need to in order to bring up weak points or work on smaller muscles (arms, shoulders, calves).

We can all agree that compound lifts should be used to get the most bang for the buck. But I don’t agree with the authors when they say that you don’t need isolation exercises if you use compound lifts. Sure, compound lifts will add a certain amount of size and strength, but you will not be able to go beyond that (or bring up weaknesses) if you don’t also use isolation exercises. Use both!

After reading the workouts from Scrawny to Brawny by Michael Mejia, Power Training by Robert Remedios, Built for Show by Nate Green, and Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey, I realized none of them employ a traditional push/pull or back+bi/chest+tri/leg split, most of them use TBT or a upper/lower split at most.

Look at who the audience is for all of the above authors and their books:

1. Beginners
  2. People who have not trained properly
  3. Athletes

None of those authors/books target bodybuilders or those wanting to look like a bodybuilder. They are geared toward the average person. In this case, the average person has a job, other responsibilities and only 3-4 days per week to train. They want to add some muscle, lose some fat and get a little stronger and some may be weekend warriors, but overall, they are not bodybuilders and don’t have the time to devote to bodybuilding.

Interesting to see how far I will go with TBT in two months. So far I’ve gained 3-4 pounds, hopefully it isn’t all fat :stuck_out_tongue:

As with any training program, you’ll make some good progress for a while. But then you will have gained a certain amount of size and strength and your body will become accustomed to the workouts and it will be time to change things around. You’ll most likely have to switch to an upper/lower split or bodypart routine.
[/quote]

I vote this post as the best of the thread!

Never experienced TBT, I think just my first 2 weeks of training, don’t remember, sorry.

I’m convinced.

[quote]Kanada wrote:
currently, tbt feels like the best, most effective way to train . and i accept your challenge, i will post videos in the near future
[/quote]

tribunal, i should have stated that it feels the best for me right now. im not lookin to convince anyone. the OP asked for peoples experience with TBT, i think its the best way ive trained. so far.

to be honest, i dont give 2 shits if you happen to think otherwise, since you can not empirically prove me wrong. i could be wrong, but i could be right. only time will tell