T Nation

Your Strength Ratios?

I thought the “Are You Strong” article that came out a few months back was pretty excellent

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=07-076-training

The chart it provided got me thinking about strength ratios and how one lift might compare to another lift.

As long as I can pull more than I can push I’m not afraid of how one lift compares to another. What I do want to know is if I’m unusual or if anyone else has some lift ratios they think are a tad bizarre.

I barbell row more than I bench or do for weighted pull ups.

I do bulgarian split squats with more weight than I military press.

I do dumbbell rows with more weight than I do dumbbell shrugs.

Do any of you all have any lifts that you think are unusual in comparison to others?

I have a very strong back, the whole thing, from traps to erectors.

And I’ve got long arms so I’ve always pulled a lot more in rowing movements than in any of my pushing movements.

I’ve never tried to hit a 1RM max on dips–mostly just because of how difficult it would be to set up–but judging from what I’ve done for reps (280x4, which also is my 4RM for bench) I’d guess it’d be about the same as my bench 1RM (currently 315).

And haven’t been doing weighted dips for long–maybe 10-15 workouts worth, tops.

i skullcrush and military press about the same weight. always thought that was a bit unusual

hmm, well i cant bench as much as i can squat…so from what i can tell at my gym, i’m pretty weird that way…

-i can romanian (soft bend only) deadlift more than i can full backsquat…i didnt think thats normal but i dont know

I think that’s normal if you have a build that’s made for pulling(deadlifts, RDL’s etc). At least I experience the same “imbalance” as you do.

Four weeks ago I was squating 185 for four triples, but could do 185 for 4 sets of 10 on the Stiff Legged Deadlift.

[quote]MCS wrote:
I’ve never tried to hit a 1RM max on dips–mostly just because of how difficult it would be to set up–but judging from what I’ve done for reps (280x4, which also is my 4RM for bench) I’d guess it’d be about the same as my bench 1RM (currently 315).

And haven’t been doing weighted dips for long–maybe 10-15 workouts worth, tops.[/quote]

You can dip your bodyweight plus 280 lbs? That’s fucking nuts.

Yeah I to can RDL more than I can back squat, when I do box squats however, it’s very very close.

[quote]redsox348984 wrote:
i skullcrush and military press about the same weight. always thought that was a bit unusual[/quote]

To me it’s unusual as well, either you got really strong triceps, or a weak overhead press. Hey maybe I’m the one with the imbalance there, I can shoulder press considerably more than I can do for skullcrushers.

My squat and deadlift are about the same now, but for the first year and a half of training time I was able to squat more than I could deadlift. However my deadlift poundage is now growing faster than my squat, so it’s a sign of improvement right?

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
MCS wrote:
I’ve never tried to hit a 1RM max on dips–mostly just because of how difficult it would be to set up–but judging from what I’ve done for reps (280x4, which also is my 4RM for bench) I’d guess it’d be about the same as my bench 1RM (currently 315).

And haven’t been doing weighted dips for long–maybe 10-15 workouts worth, tops.

You can dip your bodyweight plus 280 lbs? That’s fucking nuts.[/quote]

I think he means total weight, bodyweight included.

Anyways, does anybody know a good front squat ratio to bw? I remember in CT’s strength list he said a good back squat would be 200% of bw. Wonder what a good front squat would be.

I can overhead press my bodyweight and I can do 5 dead hang pull ups with 60 lbs attached.

My 405 lb deadlift is also decent for my bodyweight (170).

yeah man everybody always says that i have long arms. I can touch my knees standing up straight and that is pretty freaky. It sucks trying to bench but i can do alot on deadlift and tire rolls because i got the leverage. I am alright on bench it just takes forever and a day to come down to my chest and back up.

Cool I can get 440 on deadlift at 180 pounds but my arms are so freaken long i dont have to go very far. I can do alot when i comes to my back and lower body but my bench isn’t where I need it to be because my arms are so long. I can stand up straight and touch my knees, everyone I know refers to it as my wing span.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
redsox348984 wrote:
i skullcrush and military press about the same weight. always thought that was a bit unusual

To me it’s unusual as well, either you got really strong triceps, or a weak overhead press. Hey maybe I’m the one with the imbalance there, I can shoulder press considerably more than I can do for skullcrushers.[/quote]

i think its a combination of both. i also curl the same weight, forgot to mention that

I’m 17, and I’m 5’9" and weigh 166, my bench is 240, my squat at 425, and my deadlift is rite on 400, is that good for my age and size??

[quote]dan23564 wrote:
I’m 17, and I’m 5’9" and weigh 166, my bench is 240, my squat at 425, and my deadlift is rite on 400, is that good for my age and size??[/quote]

Yeah, but you probably knew that.

my brother was telling me he could squat 470 when I checked it was about 3" high when he tryed going to paralel he missed 405.

So you might want to check the depth on those squats. Or your just a realy bad deadlifter… in comparison to your other lifts.

Greekdawg’s got it right: bodyweight (180) plus 100. But someday…

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Skrussian wrote:
MCS wrote:
I’ve never tried to hit a 1RM max on dips–mostly just because of how difficult it would be to set up–but judging from what I’ve done for reps (280x4, which also is my 4RM for bench) I’d guess it’d be about the same as my bench 1RM (currently 315).

And haven’t been doing weighted dips for long–maybe 10-15 workouts worth, tops.

You can dip your bodyweight plus 280 lbs? That’s fucking nuts.

I think he means total weight, bodyweight included.

Anyways, does anybody know a good front squat ratio to bw? I remember in CT’s strength list he said a good back squat would be 200% of bw. Wonder what a good front squat would be.
[/quote]

I guess I can attribute a lot of my odd ratios to my arm length. I’m 5’10 but I have a “wingspan” of 6’1. I never really thought it would aid me in having higher rowing numbers. My dips are also higher than my bench. It’s due to the decreased R.O.M in part but my rack lockouts still aren’t up to my dips. My bench is at 245 for max but my combined dip weight exceeds 300 for 3 reps. If I tried a single rep max for dips I’m afraid it would be too sloppy to be considered valid.

Skullcrushers with the same weight you use for shoulder press is pretty odd. If you’re gripping the bar with a narrow clean grip and you’re starting from your chest the military press is pretty much made into an isolation anterior deltoid exercise. Try gripping wider and maybe even only coming down to nose height.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
dan23564 wrote:
I’m 17, and I’m 5’9" and weigh 166, my bench is 240, my squat at 425, and my deadlift is rite on 400, is that good for my age and size??

Yeah, but you probably knew that.

my brother was telling me he could squat 470 when I checked it was about 3" high when he tryed going to paralel he missed 405.

So you might want to check the depth on those squats. Or your just a realy bad deadlifter… in comparison to your other lifts.[/quote]

Yeah, I go below parallel because I’m used to going to powerlifting meets and you have to go at least parallel, so my coach tells me to always go below parallel, I just think i have a weak lower back, any little exercises I can do for that?