Your Stance on Beer?

to simplify it, your liver does the processing for the body. macros enter the body, the liver processes them so the cells of the body can use them for energy. when alcohol is consumed, your liver can not synthesize proteins for cellular use as it is processing the alcohol. drinks are metabolized at the rate of about a drink per hour, so during that time the liver will be busy. i believe after a bout of heavy drinking, protein synthesis is greatly reduced for an extended period of time even after the alcohol is fully processed. with that said, 1 beer doesn’t take very long to get processed so its impact on synthesis will be minimal. it’s just some empty calories w/ a bit of a damper on protein synthesis, but @ 1 beer, nothing significant.

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
I’ve always wondered though, why the fuck would anyone want to have only ONE beer? That shit is beyond me. I guess I’m an all-or-nothing person.[/quote]

Considering that it is human nature, it’s better to stay away from alcohol altogether.

To the OP, the impact one beer will have on you largely depends on your genetics. It also depends on the alcohol content of that particular Guinness. What is certain, is that it will not be favorable anabolism-wise, can impact testosterone levels, and will flush some precious electrolytes down (Guinness will raise your iron level though).

If you must have it, make sure to drink on a full stomach to slow down the absorption, keep hydrated, and get vitamins and minerals right after.

Drink the beer and enjoy it. It will probably be good for you. No need to go crazy about it.

168 hours of available protein synthesis in a week.
1 hour process time per drink.

If you drink a six pack, you will lose just under 4% of your total protein synthesis for the week.

Obviously this hdoes not pertain to the effects of T-levels.

cueball

my lifting and beer drinking are both coming along quite nicely right now.

I pretty much drink every friday and saturday night. sometimes i lift on friday and saturday, too. i have 1 or 2 beers with dinner at least once a week. i follow 3 on 1 off. as long as I keep my food intake up on those days it doesn’t seem to set me back. but who knows, maybe if i avoided doing stuff that i felt like doing (beer drinking is really fun to me) i’d have another 40lbs on my deadlift and be 8% instead of 10% bf…but oh well, not gunna happen any time soon.

I can “feel it” when i’ve been drinking too much consistently, and when that happens I just back off.

not to hijack the thread; but what about shots?

[quote]lixy wrote:

To the OP, the impact one beer will have on you largely depends on your genetics. It also depends on the alcohol content of that particular Guinness. What is certain, is that it will not be favorable anabolism-wise, can impact testosterone levels, and will flush some precious electrolytes down (Guinness will raise your iron level though).

If you must have it, make sure to drink on a full stomach to slow down the absorption, keep hydrated, and get vitamins and minerals right after.[/quote]

None of you guys are getting ready to step on stage at the Arnold, are you? I can’t believe anybody would obsess about ONE Guinness.

Here’s some advice from an old guy: Drink the damn beer. Drink 5 more. Get hammered once and a while. Enjoy your damn life and try to find a dose of perspective.

[quote]TJN713 wrote:
Here’s some advice from an old guy: Drink the damn beer. Drink 5 more. Get hammered once and a while. Enjoy your damn life and try to find a dose of perspective.[/quote]

Why do people feel the need to get hammered to enjoy life? I enjoy my life much more when I don’t suffer from the after effects of getting drunk.

This doesn’t stop me from having an occasional beer or glass of wine, though.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
TJN713 wrote:
Here’s some advice from an old guy: Drink the damn beer. Drink 5 more. Get hammered once and a while. Enjoy your damn life and try to find a dose of perspective.

Why do people feel the need to get hammered to enjoy life? I enjoy my life much more when I don’t suffer from the after effects of getting drunk.

This doesn’t stop me from having an occasional beer or glass of wine, though.[/quote]

No one said anything about NEEDING to get hammered to enjoy life. But getting hammered on occasion is fun for many people. Getting just a buzz is fun too at times. If you interpret “getting drunk is fun” as “need to be drunk to have fun” you probably should get out more in general.

I think some of the posters here would be in for a shock if they ever lived in Wisconsin for a year.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Just one pint is so satisfying.[/quote]

And just one case is exponentially more satisfying.

I’m on the anabolic diet, and I have beer one day a week. 2 bottles is enough to satisfy me.

Well this is from mens journal,Its not the beer thats bad for you(in moderation) its when you consume alot and the alcohol converts to sugar in your blood stream,Thats why you get such nasty hangovers its the sugar.That is what fucks up your test and performance.

�??Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.�??

like someone already mentioned, the severity of damage done by drinking alcohol depends on your genetics. you probably will never know for sure so its best to keep it in moderation.