Your Punches Per Second Stats

So I’ve been playing video games lately. The Star Wars The Old Republic free trial to get specific. Anyways, I’ve learned that an important concept in role playing games is damage per second (DPS). I got curious and wondered how much “DPS” I could dish out with boxing. I had a friend time me for 15 seconds while cycling through 1. jab 2. cross 3. left hook 4. right uppercut. I was really sore from previous workouts and only got 53 punches in those 15 seconds. I’m curious what everyone here can put up.

The only rules are:

1. 15 second time limit
  2. Must cycle through jab, cross, left hook, right uppercut (the numbers will obviously be better if you just do repeated jabs or left hook-right uppercut only)
  3. Full range of punches with good technique. They should have enough power to at least snap a guy’s head back.
  4. Closed fists (the numbers will obviously be better with open hands because you’re looser)
  5. No gloves

No way did you just make a thread about boxing dps. No… way…

ummm… what?

Post a video please

i feel embaressed i know what he is talking about. I need to play less games.

Meh, I don’t worry about that because I’ve got mad burst damage. Plus increased armour from my sense of pain being almost absent since birth.

“So I’ve been playing video games lately. The Star Wars The Old Republic free trial to get specific. Anyways, I’ve learned that an important concept in role playing games is damage per second (DPS)”

I swear, I have no idea what this means, but, having to work 10 to 12 hours a day, I dont play games. So, seriously, what does it mean?

While I usually play the rogue, I prefer setting up the backstab and critical hits.

At idaho, it’s RPG (role playing game) lingo. Usually you’ll have a character that’s some mix of warrior, mage or rogue, and has attributes such as health points, armor, hit damage, and of course DPS (hits per second x damage). Yeah, nerdy, but this is Dungeons and Dragons territory.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
While I usually play the rogue, I prefer setting up the backstab and critical hits.

At idaho, it’s RPG (role playing game) lingo. Usually you’ll have a character that’s some mix of warrior, mage or rogue, and has attributes such as health points, armor, hit damage, and of course DPS (hits per second x damage). Yeah, nerdy, but this is Dungeons and Dragons territory.[/quote]

To show my nerd/age:

I think it is more computer game territory.

DPS = Damage Per Second, so something measuring damage in real time.

Back in the 80’s with pen and paper, satan worship scare provoking, honest to god table top games, it was Damage Per Turn.

To REALLY show my GEEKDOM:
Knights of the OLD Republic is turn based, so it was Damage per Turn.

Dragon Age is “real time” so it is DPS.

Rogues kick ass in both.

Fuck, I am uncool.

Regards,

Robert A

You should post this in the thread things you hate about yourself

[quote]idaho wrote:
“So I’ve been playing video games lately. The Star Wars The Old Republic free trial to get specific. Anyways, I’ve learned that an important concept in role playing games is damage per second (DPS)”

I swear, I have no idea what this means, but, having to work 10 to 12 hours a day, I dont play games. So, seriously, what does it mean? [/quote]

You can see below, but it is the “theoretical” advantage of a greater number of smaller value hits adding up to more effect than a smaller number of larger value hits.

Maybe the difference between what you can accomplish with a MK18 Mod 0 vs. a short barrelled shotgun loaded with slugs?

Or, and this should translate, George Carlin’s famous observation “I never fucked a ten, but one night I fucked five two’s.”

Granted, none of this is at all applicable to punching.

Stay safe.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]rundymc wrote:

At idaho, it’s RPG (role playing game) lingo. Usually you’ll have a character that’s some mix of warrior, mage or rogue, and has attributes such as health points, armor, hit damage, and of course DPS (hits per second x damage). Yeah, nerdy, but this is Dungeons and Dragons territory.[/quote]

To show my nerd/age:

I think it is more computer game territory.

DPS = Damage Per Second, so something measuring damage in real time.

Back in the 80’s with pen and paper, satan worship scare provoking, honest to god table top games, it was Damage Per Turn.

To REALLY show my GEEKDOM:
Knights of the OLD Republic is turn based, so it was Damage per Turn.

Dragon Age is “real time” so it is DPS.

Rogues kick ass in both.

Fuck, I am uncool.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

This is the interwebz. Nerd is the new cool. Like in the bizarro universe.

what the fuck are you guys talking about…

[quote]Robert A wrote:
Or, and this should translate, George Carlin’s famous observation “I never fucked a ten, but one night I fucked five two’s.”

Granted, none of this is at all applicable to punching.[/quote]

Well… Fucking five two’s in one night would require some sort of post-coital self harm, surely. Accompanied by the required rage vomiting.

my Charisma is high enough to blink and seduce everyone in the room, even the ugly Troll, thus avoiding any brawl or skirmish.

[quote]Khaine wrote:

[quote]Robert A wrote:

Granted, none of this is at all applicable to punching.[/quote]

Well… Fucking five two’s in one night would require some sort of post-coital self harm, surely. Accompanied by the required rage vomiting.[/quote]

No, no. FIVE 2’s adds up to a 10. So you hold your head up high, after you wash the smell off.

No need for self flagellation. Unlike going spelunking into a fifth of Jack Daniel’s and waking up next to the wrong bride’s maid…for example…a completely hypothetical example…carry on.

Regards,

Robert A

DAMAGE per second??? Hmmm…so how do you gauge DAMAGE if you’re not damaging anything?. LOL…I can’t believe this shit.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
DAMAGE per second??? Hmmm…so how do you gauge DAMAGE if you’re not damaging anything?. LOL…I can’t believe this shit.[/quote]

I am pretty sure this thread is now about Role Playing Games and drunken sex. Maybe even Role Playing Video Games that contain drunken sex (I am looking at YOU Dragon Age 1 and 2).

To Heroic Wolf,

Just to be clear. The idea of DPS relating to punching is not going to shake out. Unlike a video or board game where hit vs no hit and “damage” can be clearly defined strikes range from miss to glancing to flush and the effects of impacts are way, WAY more variable.

Even if we look at fighters famous for using flurries or combinations and possessing great handspeed it is more an issue of throwing multiple shots to land one or two good ones.
Examples:

Boxing
Henry “Purpetual Motion” Armstrong

Pacquiao

Of course Jack Dempsey (It is pretty much impossible to bring a harder ass whipping than Dempsey did in this fight.)

MMA

Wand

Vovchanchyn

Nerdsplanation: Look to get extra attack rolls, and to improve your CRIT range.

Regards,

Robert A

Ahh…ok…ok.

treads back to playing Skyrim*

Pretty much what Robert said.