Your Protein Intake on Gear?

Just out of curiosity how much of a increase or just in general in protein do you guys feel warranted when on gear. I always followed 1g or slightly above per pound of body weight so about 200g for me when I was natural. Once I started or when I was on I upped it up to about 300g for the most part.

How ever recently ( last 2-3 months ) I have pretty much dropped it back down to about 230g daily but, have even went as low as 200g mainly because I just don’t feel like eating a shit load of protein any more. Not saying 300g of protein is hard to get just prefer to not eat as much protein at each meal and not to mention its much easier on my wallet.

I figured this would hamper my gains but, I have continued breaking PRs in all lifts and at a rate I am very happy with. So just out of curiosity what do you guys think on the subject.

my opinion would be take your lean body mass to calculate protein requirements instead of total body mass…

1 Like

[quote]G0D123 wrote:
my opinion would be take your lean body mass to calculate protein requirements instead of total body mass… [/quote]

I agree with that as well which is what I do. I usually go off about 200g but prefer to eat just over that but doing my best to never go lower.

Non training days - 220-230ish grams of protein

Training days - 260-280ish grams of protein (just recently increased as in this week LOL)

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]G0D123 wrote:
my opinion would be take your lean body mass to calculate protein requirements instead of total body mass… [/quote]

I agree with that as well which is what I do. I usually go off about 200g but prefer to eat just over that but doing my best to never go lower.[/quote]

Same here. If it’s ok with the OP, I would like to add/rephrase the question. Can the body metabolize protein at a higher rate when geared up? I’m sure if you are building muscle your increase demand would go up and with more mass, a greater amount of protein would be required to sustain that tissue.

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]G0D123 wrote:

I agree with that as well which is what I do. I usually go off about 200g but prefer to eat just over that but doing my best to never go lower.[/quote]

Same here. If it’s ok with the OP, I would like to add/rephrase the question. Can the body metabolize protein at a higher rate when geared up? I’m sure if you are building muscle your increase demand would go up and with more mass, a greater amount of protein would be required to sustain that tissue. [/quote]

Good question as well.

While on, I actually DECREASE my protein intake. I gain the same on 150g of protein as 200,250 or even 300g.

1 Like

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
While on, I actually DECREASE my protein intake. I gain the same on 150g of protein as 200,250 or even 300g.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity what is your logic behind this. I am not knocking it honestly good news to me that its possible to eat half way normal and continue to grow.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:
While on, I actually DECREASE my protein intake. I gain the same on 150g of protein as 200,250 or even 300g.[/quote]

That’s fucking stupid.

The whole point of ASS is that they in increase protein synthesizer.

That’s like using jet fuel in your 98 corolla and putting low grade gasoline in your jet.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

That’s fucking stupid.

That’s like using jet fuel in your 98 corolla and putting low grade gasoline in your jet.[/quote]

Not debating you but if… he can honestly without a shadow of a doubt gain as well with lowering his protein intake why eat all the excess food. Wouldn’t it just be a waste of money…

Oh hey Ironman by the way I am gonna update it for sure this Sunday but, just real quick the Test Susp and 30mg of Halo before training session was a huge success. Focus and aggression was through the roof and I deliberately took no pre-workout or even coffee before just to see what it could and would honestly do.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

That’s fucking stupid.

That’s like using jet fuel in your 98 corolla and putting low grade gasoline in your jet.[/quote]

Not debating you but if… he can honestly without a shadow of a doubt gain as well with lowering his protein intake why eat all the excess food. Wouldn’t it just be a waste of money…

Oh hey Ironman by the way I am gonna update it for sure this Sunday but, just real quick the Test Susp and 30mg of Halo before training session was a huge success. Focus and aggression was through the roof and I deliberately took no pre-workout or even coffee before just to see what it could and would honestly do.[/quote]

If he is making ok gains when taking a sub-par amount of protein on gear, then he would make better gains when taking a more adequate amount. I’m not saying is more is better end of story…obviously there is a diminishing point of returns. However, to actually LOWER your protein intake below what you normally take in, and take AAS is silly. AAS allow us to use more protein than we naturally could…so to get on gear and then reduce the amount of protein is against all logic right? It’s almost like he is just taking gear so that he can eat less and not lose size lol…

And that’s awesome news about your stack man. I really want to try out some TNE. Was it like a pretty immediate kick in the pants??

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

That’s fucking stupid.

Oh hey Ironman by the way I am gonna update it for sure this Sunday but, just real quick the Test Susp and 30mg of Halo before training session was a huge success. Focus and aggression was through the roof and I deliberately took no pre-workout or even coffee before just to see what it could and would honestly do.[/quote]

If he is making ok gains when taking a sub-par amount of protein on gear, then he would make better gains when taking a more adequate amount. I’m not saying is more is better end of story…obviously there is a diminishing point of returns. However, to actually LOWER your protein intake below what you normally take in, and take AAS is silly. AAS allow us to use more protein than we naturally could…so to get on gear and then reduce the amount of protein is against all logic right? It’s almost like he is just taking gear so that he can eat less and not lose size lol…

And that’s awesome news about your stack man. I really want to try out some TNE. Was it like a pretty immediate kick in the pants??[/quote]

That makes sense good argument we will see what he has to say.

It honestly took it about a hour I was really about to call bull shit but, went to the gym and about 30-40 mins later holy piss something just kicked. We started pulling and everything felt heavy then just all of a sudden its like my nuts dropped and shit just started flying off the ground. My best Deadlift was 530 3 weeks ago all time life time PR. Sunday I pulled 520 for a not very hard double and then destroyed upper back. Was a real kick in the ass but, seriously took almost 2 hours to kick in but when it did that was all she wrote.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

WTF?

I ALWAYS increase protein intake when on gear. I thought this was common knowledge / sense?

[quote]Bauber wrote:
I ALWAYS increase protein intake when on gear. I thought this was common knowledge / sense?[/quote]

It is but to what extent was essentially my question. Say I am about 190-200lbs if I were ripped up pretty good. So in the off time I shoot for 200g a day. Once on though how much a increase do you honestly need.

Reed , may i recommend “how much protein by brad pilon” packed with scientific data proving you dont need soo much protein when training natty or even for most geared users…

now to my point from what i have read, i might get super bashed for this but just think about it for a minute…

for eg: take a simple cycle…
300g protein ED x12 weeks of test = 25.2 kg of ingested protein
250g protein ED x12 weeks of test = 21 kg of ingested protein
200g protein ED x12 weeks of test = 16.8 kg of ingested protein

and most of the pros/noobs would be more than happy with a 5-7 kg (10-15lbs) muscle gain !

the math doest stack up… only around 20-30 % of ur ingested protein becomes “muscle”… and pls dont forget muscle is more than just protein, its actually 80% water ! so that’s like 1-2 kgs of protein added to ur body frame… so with my really bad math only 7-12 % of ur ingested protein.

crazy amounts of protein doesnt seem to mean more muscle imo ! and even from my small cycle exp with a diet of just 150 grams of protein (max) that was considered “horrible” by everyone including myself, to my surprise i went on to put on like 14kgs at end of week 10 and now at week 2 of pct im at +10kgs

MY OPINION SUMMARY ! Protein is seriously overrated !! maybe carbs have a much important role to play than protein alone…

remember the protein industry is a multi billion dollar industry !

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:
I ALWAYS increase protein intake when on gear. I thought this was common knowledge / sense?[/quote]

It is but to what extent was essentially my question. Say I am about 190-200lbs if I were ripped up pretty good. So in the off time I shoot for 200g a day. Once on though how much a increase do you honestly need. [/quote]

I increase it by 50% myself. So say I was taking in 200 a day, I would move it to 300 just to be safe. My philosophy is it is better to take in a little too much protein than not enough especially when you are spending so much time and money. No reason to lack on something easy to do.

[quote]G0D123 wrote:
Reed , may i recommend “how much protein by brad pilon” packed with scientific data proving you dont need soo much protein when training natty or even for most geared users…

now to my point from what i have read, i might get super bashed for this but just think about it for a minute…

for eg: take a simple cycle…
300g protein ED x12 weeks of test = 25.2 kg of ingested protein
250g protein ED x12 weeks of test = 21 kg of ingested protein
200g protein ED x12 weeks of test = 16.8 kg of ingested protein

and most of the pros/noobs would be more than happy with a 5-7 kg (10-15lbs) muscle gain !

the math doest stack up… only around 20-30 % of ur ingested protein becomes “muscle”… and pls dont forget muscle is more than just protein, its actually 80% water ! so that’s like 1-2 kgs of protein added to ur body frame… so with my really bad math only 7-12 % of ur ingested protein.

crazy amounts of protein doesnt seem to mean more muscle imo ! and even from my small cycle exp with a diet of just 150 grams of protein (max) that was considered “horrible” by everyone including myself, to my surprise i went on to put on like 14kgs at end of week 10 and now at week 2 of pct im at +10kgs

MY OPINION SUMMARY ! Protein is seriously overrated !! maybe carbs have a much important role to play than protein alone…

remember the protein industry is a multi billion dollar industry !

[/quote]

Protein is not overrated. Explain why every huge person takes in a large amount of it? Yes, carbs are important too as are all macros. Please just stop posting.

I’ve been eating 300g of protein a day since i began my cycle 2 1/2 weeks ago and feel like i’ve been shitting every 45 minutes lol (I’m also only 186 lbs). I’ll continue to consume 300g on gym days but will probably drop down to 200g the couple days i take off during the week to give my tight little asshole a break from the porter shitter.

[quote]PhillyFootball wrote:
I’ve been eating 300g of protein a day since i began my cycle 2 1/2 weeks ago and feel like i’ve been shitting every 45 minutes lol (I’m also only 186 lbs). I’ll continue to consume 300g on gym days but will probably drop down to 200g the couple days i take off during the week to give my tight little asshole a break from the porter shitter.[/quote]

Fringe benefit of being a lifter. Nothing like 2 or 3 good dumps a day.