Your Pre-Bedtime Meal?

It must then also be from salt deposits, as seawater itself has nowhere near as much magnesium as that (seawater is less than 4% magnesium by weight of total solutes.)

Not that ancient seawater had more magnesium, but rather the process of how it was laid down could concentrate given elements.

So it must not be from evaporated modern seawater, which is good from the pollution aspect.

I forgot to ask you, Bill:

How do you handle coconut oil in your shake? I take it you drink it immediately once you bring it from solid to liquid form?

I have to spoon out about 1 TBSP into a shot glass, microwave it for 15 or so seconds to turn it into a liquid, then dump it into my shake and drink up. If it sits for more than 10 min it will solidify and I get little chunks - they do taste good, though - in my shake.

Is there a different form of Virgin Coconut Oil that is not solid? Or is that just the Florida heat and humidity on your side?

I don’t like the idea of a warm shake…

In Florida it was only a couple or few weeks ago that the coconut oil started turning solid.

For convenience I warm the oven for about 60 seconds, check that it is not too hot (because my coconut oil comes in a plastic container), and store it in there. The oven stays warm enough for 12 hours or so in cooler weather so this only takes a minute twice a day.

Microwaving is probably a good solution at least for warming a very small quantity though I am not sure that the microwaves may not flip a small percentage of the fats to trans form. Repeatedly rewarming a given large container might potentially add up to a significant effect (or might not).

As you suggest, the oil really can’t be added to cold water for a shake. Adding immediately before use to room temperature water does work for me though. Or when the coconut oil is semi-solid or solid, or if the water is refrigerated, then I just eat it straight out of the measuring half-tablespoon or tablespoon. While for most oils that wouldn’t be particularly what I’d want to do, with the coconut oil actually it’s pretty tasty.

So far as I know all organic, cold-pressed coconut oil is going to be the same for melting point range. If some individual product differed, it would also differ in the mixture of fats present and would not be the expected product.

Oh, and by the way, I also have a pre-mixed bottle of half coconut oil, half olive oil. This stays liquid and can be used in shakes made with cold water.

So when wanting to use both oils anyway, premixing is a helpful way to go.

I don’t know what the minimum ratio would be. It seems quite possible that for example 2:1 coconut/olive oil might also be liquid enough, but there’s no telling for sure without trying, which I have not.

2 scoops low-carb Metabolic Drive
1 serving Glutamine
3 Flameout

Is there any reason why I see so many people consuming whey protein before bed? I realize many are consuming it with fiber and fats to slow down the absorbtion + utilization process however, you’re going to have a much longer and steadier supply of amino acids during your night time fast if you’re using something more like casein + what most of you are already doing, ie combining with fiber and fats. Whey should be used during times of immediate amino acid requirements due to it being the sugar equivalent of the protein world. Anyone have any interest in elaborating why they’re using whey before bed?

[quote]Da Vinci wrote:
Is there any reason why I see so many people consuming whey protein before bed? I realize many are consuming it with fiber and fats to slow down the absorbtion + utilization process however, you’re going to have a much longer and steadier supply of amino acids during your night time fast if you’re using something more like casein + what most of you are already doing, ie combining with fiber and fats. Whey should be used during times of immediate amino acid requirements due to it being the sugar equivalent of the protein world. Anyone have any interest in elaborating why they’re using whey before bed?[/quote]

I think everyone on here knows casein is better at bedtime. They take whey because it’s whey cheaper, simple as that.

Is there any difference between using coconut oil and coconut milk?

Coconut milk usually is (or perhaps properly always is, but I’m not sure) a product with almost all of its calories from coconut oil, and in this case is a perfectly good way of getting coconut oil.

“Coconut water” is a different product with its calories from carbohydrates and none from fat.

I know you didn’t ask about coconut water, but many might not be clear on the distinction as neither is a very popular product in the US.

Personally I find coconut oil more convenient to use than coconut milk, but that could just be personal.

1 cup of cooked egg whites with 5 slices of cheddar cheese.

I take ZMA 45 min. prior to this :

• 1 Scoop WHEY
  • 1 Scoop Casein
  • 2 TBSP. Natural PB
  • 8-10 oz. Calorie countdown
  • ICE (To thicken things up)

Using calorie countdown instead of whole or even 2% milk makes this a lot lighter and more comfortable to sleep with.

1 scoop Metabolic Drive
1 scoop Grow!
tbspn EVOO

MM…Good…

scoop of a blend of casein egg and whey proteins
10 gr glutamine

eventually a few cashews

Thanks for the input everyone I think I will be looking at now consuming 2 fish oils, 1 cup milk, 1/3 cup coconut milk, 1 scoop whey, and 1 tbsp PB before bed.

1 scoop of Micellar Matrix
1 tbsp Psyllium Husk
2 tsp fish oil

or

1/2 cup cottage cheese
cinnamon and/or cocoa powder
1 tbsp PB or almond butter
1 tbsp Psyllium Husk
2 tsp fish oil

1/4 to 1/3 gallon of milk

3 scoops (60g) whey and 3-4 tbsp olive oil.
Not optimal but it’s been working well so far