Your Physical Sacrifice

[quote]amphibian wrote:
My wife. Best choice I ever made.[/quote]

ROFL. BEST POST EVER.

I feel kinda bad for laughing though. hugs amphibian

In my experience, I’ve been able to maintain everything I’ve wanted to mantain while still training 4 or so times a week. I used to use my training as an excuse not to ‘get out of my comfort zone,’ socially, physically, or w/e, but I really try not to anymore. “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.”

Serious lifting has forced me to cut back on baseball and basketball.

I get a little bit less sleep, and play my guitar a little less than I’d like.

It’s kept me out of big time partying since it basically cancels out all the hard work put into lifting and eating right.

Is it worth it? You bet.

Running.

Strange thing that slaps a lot of runners and doctors in the face–I have less problems with my knees after I squat than after I run.

I do weights and martial arts (Xing Yi). Both will benefit much more with 6 days a week of training, but have to settle for 3 days each. Leg work at the gym suffers from a bit slower advancement due to gruelling stance training in Xing Yi and generally moving at low heights.

Benefits are this is varied and healthier in the very long term (30+ years), and that the training in Xing Yi really helps loosening-up some joints and muscles. Also comes as good substitute for aerobics.

I used to run at least 3x a week, usually 5-10 miles at a clip. Combined with playing hockey a few times a week, I soon realized why I couldn’t put on weight -lol.

As much as I LOOK more like an athlete now, I probably have much less coordination and athletic abilities as a result. Still, I wouldn’t trade it. At the end of the day, it’s all about looking like Batman :slight_smile:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I used to run at least 3x a week, usually 5-10 miles at a clip. Combined with playing hockey a few times a week, I soon realized why I couldn’t put on weight -lol.

As much as I LOOK more like an athlete now, I probably have much less coordination and athletic abilities as a result. Still, I wouldn’t trade it. At the end of the day, it’s all about looking like Batman :slight_smile:

S
[/quote]

Haha, looking like Batman - I like it.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
I gave up:
Rugby :frowning:
Drinking
Going out midweek
Bread

[/quote]

You gave up being Irish?

I gave up video games and computers to pursue my plethora of activity. If I had one more activity I wanted to do though, I would have to sacrifice one, but luckily I have just the right amount of physical activity so that I’m not completely overtraining.

I do northern shaolin kung-fu, I practice that almost every day. I do parkour, I practice it maybe 3 times a week, the days that I do, I practice it a lot. And I’m bulking, so I try to eat a lot and I think I do good in that department, I know I’m not making as many gains as I would be if I just bulked though…

I gave up being that guy that everybody comes to to reach the object that dropped behind the bookcase/dresser/extremely narrow opening.

Personally I didn’t give up anything, rather incorporated more activities since I now have the stamina and ability to do so. I love sports and although it may impede my progress slightly, I refuse to give any of them up. I just eat more to compensate and my progress has been great for the most part.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
I gave up:
Drinking
Going out midweek
Bread

You gave up being Irish?[/quote]

There you go… the biggest sacrifice is obviously by me. I gave up my stereotype.

Scott

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
I gave up:
Drinking
Going out midweek
Bread

You gave up being Irish?[/quote]

Haha, good call spotting that one.

Had to give up long runs this year to see progress in strength. I live in the city so it’s not so bad now, but when I visit home in rural New England I usually just say screw it and spend the week running.

I love the iron, but I’d been running for 17 years and I do miss it.

I sacrificed not having horrible stretchmarks on my arms. :frowning:

[quote]Vegg wrote:
I sacrificed not having horrible stretchmarks on my arms. :([/quote]

They’re warmarks, and they look cool. But worry if you have on your belly.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
Vegg wrote:

They’re warmarks, and they look cool. But worry if you have on your belly.[/quote]

Mine look like some kind of disease rather than battle scars… Tons of little ones that just look like a rash. Oh well, they’ll fade eventually. Especially since I’m dieting right now.

I have to admit, the ones on my left lat look cool though. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Vegg wrote:
MEYMZ wrote:
Vegg wrote:

They’re warmarks, and they look cool. But worry if you have on your belly.

Mine look like some kind of disease rather than battle scars… Tons of little ones that just look like a rash. Oh well, they’ll fade eventually. Especially since I’m dieting right now.

I have to admit, the ones on my left lat look cool though. :P[/quote]

Do you really think they’re gonna fade? I have stretchmarks in my arms from about 3 years ago.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
Do you really think they’re gonna fade? I have stretchmarks in my arms from about 3 years ago.[/quote]

Well, the stretchmarks I got on my waist a few years ago are basically invisible now. Plus I’m pale as hell right now, so getting a tan will hopefully help.

To be honest i dont think i’ve sacrificed anything. I have the mentality iii just do whats best for me and my bodybuilding.

If anything its goin out for a while at night and leaving the club early so i can go home to bed ruling out the chance of banging bitches… If im with a girl, i just tell her i gotta go. That probably makes her more wet lol