T Nation

Your Personal Nutrition Strategy

Hi CT,

I would love to hear what you have to say about this idea. What are your basic rules or auto regulation strategies?

I know peri is an absolute must for anyone serious about progress, Plazma, MAG-10 @least 3 pulses, the more the better.

From following you I know it’s all about performance, so definitely don’t ever sacrifice gains in the gym (if you’re not improving, recover better)

I believe I’ve heard you say flatness is a reason to increase carbs

In particular do you eat by hunger & adjust based on how you look & feel & by performance? (This is assuming you’re eating quality foods)

I’ve read in the past you like to eat your protein, then veggies, then fruit, then other carb sources, does this still apply?

Protein is 1.25g/lb body weight & a low protein day every week (also higher carbs) so you get the maximum benefit out of the protein you do eat.

I’m really asking because you’ve put on quite a bit of muscle with the layer system, you have the look I want, & put up very impressive numbers.

Thank you so much! I really just want to make sure I have everything dialed in so I can become the best version of myself.

Honestly I do not like to talk about nutrition. Truthfully it has never been a subject that attracted me and I never researched it like I researched training. So I don’t see myself as an expert on nutrition and thus do not like to talk about what I’m doing. The thing is that if I say that I do something, there will be a ton of people doing the same. With training I’m 100% fine with this since I am absolutely certain that they will get great gains. But with nutrition I do not have the same confidence.

The only true constant in my eating schedule is my peri-workout with PLAZMA and pulsing with MAG-10.

@CT: I can respect that. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it!

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@CT: I can respect that. Thank you for your reply I appreciate it! [/quote]

And honestly I do not have a strategy…

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Honestly I do not like to talk about nutrition. Truthfully it has never been a subject that attracted me and I never researched it like I researched training. So I don’t see myself as an expert on nutrition and thus do not like to talk about what I’m doing. The thing is that if I say that I do something, there will be a ton of people doing the same. With training I’m 100% fine with this since I am absolutely certain that they will get great gains. But with nutrition I do not have the same confidence.

The only true constant in my eating schedule is my peri-workout with PLAZMA and pulsing with MAG-10.[/quote]

This is why I respect you as a coach. You KNOW people are going to hang on every word you say, so I always find it enjoyable when you respectfully decline to speak on a subject.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Honestly I do not like to talk about nutrition. Truthfully it has never been a subject that attracted me and I never researched it like I researched training. So I don’t see myself as an expert on nutrition and thus do not like to talk about what I’m doing. The thing is that if I say that I do something, there will be a ton of people doing the same. With training I’m 100% fine with this since I am absolutely certain that they will get great gains. But with nutrition I do not have the same confidence.

The only true constant in my eating schedule is my peri-workout with PLAZMA and pulsing with MAG-10.[/quote]

This is why I respect you as a coach. You KNOW people are going to hang on every word you say, so I always find it enjoyable when you respectfully decline to speak on a subject.[/quote]

A ton of coaches and supposed experts prefer to talk out of their arse rather than admit that they do not know something enough to give advices on it.

They are afraid of looking stupid if thay say that they do not know something. However it makes them look even more stupid when they say something that turns out to be false!

Oddly enough I’m pretty good when it comes to planning fat loss diets but not so much when it comes to a diet spcifically designed to gain size or maximize performance and health.

I assume that is because as a former fat body with an extreme personality I always had to focus more on losing fat than gaining size.

Although with PLAZMA and MAG-10, it is very easy to plan a fat loss diet: 2-3 scoops of PLAZMA peri-workout, 2-3 pulses in the 2 hours post-workout and low carbs for the rest of the day.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Oddly enough I’m pretty good when it comes to planning fat loss diets but not so much when it comes to a diet spcifically designed to gain size or maximize performance and health.

I assume that is because as a former fat body with an extreme personality I always had to focus more on losing fat than gaining size.

Although with PLAZMA and MAG-10, it is very easy to plan a fat loss diet: 2-3 scoops of PLAZMA peri-workout, 2-3 pulses in the 2 hours post-workout and low carbs for the rest of the day.[/quote]
CT, a few months ago I thought you and John Meadows suggested taking a Mag-10 pulse about 30-45 minutes prior to beginning a workout to aid fat loss. Have your feelings on this suggestion changed or did I misunderstand the context?

Also, I had a question about timing the pulses and dinner. I finish my workout usually around 7pm(earliest I can get done). Would taking the Mag-10 pulses 30 and 60 minutes after finishing the workout and having dinner 90 minutes post workout be alright? Label suggests 60 and 120 and I’ve read other sources suggest similar timing. Additionally, if I eat dinner at 8:30, would that leave too much food still digesting to try the pre bedtime Mag-10 pulse (I try to get into bed around 9:30)?

[quote]cmryan_21 wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Oddly enough I’m pretty good when it comes to planning fat loss diets but not so much when it comes to a diet spcifically designed to gain size or maximize performance and health.

I assume that is because as a former fat body with an extreme personality I always had to focus more on losing fat than gaining size.

Although with PLAZMA and MAG-10, it is very easy to plan a fat loss diet: 2-3 scoops of PLAZMA peri-workout, 2-3 pulses in the 2 hours post-workout and low carbs for the rest of the day.[/quote]
CT, a few months ago I thought you and John Meadows suggested taking a MAG-10 pulse about 30-45 minutes prior to beginning a workout to aid fat loss. Have your feelings on this suggestion changed or did I misunderstand the context?

Also, I had a question about timing the pulses and dinner. I finish my workout usually around 7pm(earliest I can get done). Would taking the MAG-10 pulses 30 and 60 minutes after finishing the workout and having dinner 90 minutes post workout be alright? Label suggests 60 and 120 and I’ve read other sources suggest similar timing. Additionally, if I eat dinner at 8:30, would that leave too much food still digesting to try the pre bedtime MAG-10 pulse (I try to get into bed around 9:30)?[/quote]

I do the 30/60/90 approach sometimes. Though since I almost always finish plazma before the workout ends ( by about 20-30 minutes ) I usually slam MAG-10 right after the workout, then 60 later, then eat 30 later.

As for the pulse pre-lifting. I’ve been doing that. I think it works great at ramping up the metabolism. JM noticed his figure athletes were dropping fat much quicker than anticipated with this method if my memory serves correctly.

I am also doing what CT is suggesting, MAG-10 and plazma are my focus then try to start fairly low carb the rest of the day.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Oddly enough I’m pretty good when it comes to planning fat loss diets but not so much when it comes to a diet spcifically designed to gain size or maximize performance and health.

I assume that is because as a former fat body with an extreme personality I always had to focus more on losing fat than gaining size.

Although with PLAZMA and MAG-10, it is very easy to plan a fat loss diet: 2-3 scoops of PLAZMA peri-workout, 2-3 pulses in the 2 hours post-workout and low carbs for the rest of the day.[/quote]

I was just about to ask you this diet question relating to fat loss being that I also am always looking to keep fat at bay or to lose fat.
On the same note do you feel as long as you have peri and post workout covered with the Plazma and MAG-10 that the rest of the days diet isn’t really critical.

For example if I’m not specifically looking to cut and just want to just cruise or gain a little I like to take a mental break from worrying about the types of meals and macros ets., and just eat whatever I want when I’m hungry outside of the peri and post protocol. Do you feel this would suffice for slow steady strength and size gains?

@AS: From what I have done recently with my diet I would say what CT said is right. I’ve screwed up & lost muscle before in the past, but not with Plazma & MAG-10. I would consider that as much as a staple as drinking water from my experience. I listen to my body too and if I’m extra hungry I eat. You still need calories & macros, but the peri nutrition is by far the most critical.

FitDay has a great app for $2 for iPhone where you can track what you eat, vitamins & minerals too so as you progress & tweak things you can see how what you have done had been working for you.

I took a lesson from Sput’s playbook and modified slightly as I’m on a double dose of Indigo and train in the late afternoon, losing fat and really leaning out but definitely not losing muscle.

Breakfast: Indigo, Finibar, 2 scoops MD low carb w/ almond milk
Snack (2 hours later) - MAG-10
Lunch - 2 scoops MD low carb w/ water (helps keep me fuller than MAG-10)
45 min pre workout - MAG-10 and half a Finibar, full Finibar on leg or deadlift days
Workout - Indigo, 2 scoops Plazma
45-60 min after finishing Plazma - MAG-10
45ish after that - Dinner - carbs are higher or lower based on the workout I had that day