T Nation

Your Next Cheat Meal

I just clipped these from some of my old restaurant recipe books, I hope you will enjoy them…

…It’s about time for BARBEQUE SEASON!..YEEEHAAA BABY!, I recomend “Finishing” these over a harwood “Q” but if all you got is gas…well, better than eating it raw I suppose…(barely)

The quantities listed are obviously for Large/Restaurant portions but breaking the recipes into more managable quantities should not be a problem. It’s the “Spirit” of the recipe, not the specific amounts that’s important…

Grill away!

JAMAICAN BARBEQUE SAUCE
(Please read carefully and do the hokey-pokey before preparing)

1. KETCHUP 4 GALLONS
  2. SOY SAUCE 1.5 QUARTS
  3. GREEN ONIONS 40 ONLY FRESH
  4. DARK BROWN SUGAR1 QUART/LIGHTLY PACKED
  5. WHITE VINEGAR 1 QUART J
  6. GINGER 1 PINT FRESH
  7. GARLIC 1 PINT FRESH
  8. DARK RUM1 PINT MOUNT GAY

PROCEDURE:

1. Mince the onions, ginger and garlic
  2. Combine onions, ginger, garlic, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup and soy sauce
  3. Bring to a slow boil
  4. Simmer until thick and sticky (approximately 30 minutes)
  5. Stir in rum and simmer for an additional 5 minutes
  6. Remove from heat
  7. Store in a 5 gallon pail

Shelf life:

7 days/refrigerated

Tools: sanitizer solution, 5 gallon stock pot, cutting board, wet towel, chef?s knife, measuring cups, wire whisk, 5 gallon pail, date tape

MAUI SAUCE

1. BARBEQUE SAUCE 4 GALLONS
  2. BROWN SUGAR 1 POUND 3. PINEAPPLE JUICE 1 LITRE VOL.
  3. PINEAPPLE 1 WHOLE FRESH
  4. MOLASSES 1 LITRE VOL.
  5. MALIBU RUM 325ML

PROCEDURE:

1. Peel, core, slice and puree the pineapple
  2. Combine all ingredients except the rum in a large pot and bring to a boil. Be sure to not burn the sauce as the sugar burns easily
  3. After boil, immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour or until the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency (thicker than the original barbeque sauce)
  4. Add the rum
  5. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes, then let cool to at least 140 degrees (an ice bath is recommended)
  6. Date, sign and store in a five gallon pail keeping a lid on at all times
  7. Never mix fresh with older product

Shelf life:

Fresh daily

Tools: sanitizer solution, spray bottle, large cooking pot, five gallon pail, robo-coup mixer, date tape, wire whisk

BEEF RIBS

1.BEEF BACK RIBS 7 RACKS 2.GARLIC POWDER 1 HALF CUP 3.BROWN SUGAR 1 CUP
4.SOY SAUCE 1 CUP
5.WATER 2 CUPS

PROCEDURE:

1. Mix garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce and water together with a whisk in a shallow pan and set aside
  2. Remove the skin from the backside of the beef ribs by inserting a fork tine between the skin and bone-end of the second smallest bone, pull back, slide your finger into the gap and pull back removing the entire skin. Scoop out any excess fat with a soup spoon
  3. Score the backside of the ribs in an ?X? with a boning knife
  4. Dip into the ?bath? and shingle in a shallow roasting pan with the bone tips DOWN.
  5. After the ribs have all been shingled in the pan, pour the remaining bath into the pan and top up with water so that there is at least 1.5 inches of liquid in the bottom of the pan
  6. Cover and seal with tinfoil and bake at 450? F for 2.5 hours. Check doneness by inserting a fork between the bones and twisting, if there is little resistance, they are done. If more time is required bake for an additional 30 minute period.
  7. Cool on counter to 145? and refrigerate in a covered and dated lexan. Do not cut into separate bones until they are ready to be grilled.

Shelf life: 3 days

Tools: sanitizer solution, spray bottle, baking pans (2), large lexan/lid, date tape, measuring cup, whisk, tinfoil, fork, boning knife

“I want my food dead. Not sick, not dying, dead”

~ Oscar Wilde