T Nation

Your Most Successful Routine?

out of all of the workouts you have ever done, which did you find that you were most succesful while using?

i have tried a basic bodybuilder split(poorly designed mind you), rippetoes, and defrancos WS4SB I, and WS4SB modified for two ME leg days. i personally really like both of the DeFranco workouts.

also what would your opinion be on a Push,pull,leg, with a full body, higher volume workout at the end of the week? E.g. monday-legs, tuesday-push, wednesday-pull, friday-full body

[quote]mrjoshuarock wrote:

also what would your opinion be on a Push,pull,leg, with a full body, higher volume workout at the end of the week? E.g. monday-legs, tuesday-push, wednesday-pull, friday-full body[/quote]

What are you goals? Are you novice / intermediate / advanced?

Well I’d have to say it was WSB, the original 4 day template, although Defranco has reaaaally good programming. As I was not training for athletic endeavors I simply ran with the WSB versions.

I say this because it took me a very long time (say 4-5 years) to outgrow this. Of course I kept experimenting with other layouts, but only if I plateaued or needed a change or had a month of schedule conflicts. For the vast majority of any given year (~10 months)I kept the WSB template. When I started I was super weak, and when I ended I was not weak. If you can look up an EliteFTS article that details a 9 or 10 week beginners routine it’s fantastic. You can actually use that routine for more than just the 9-10 weeks it says.

In all actuality, I can probably still make gains on this template but the one I’m using now is working great so I’m not going back for a while, if ever. Haven’t used it in over a year FYI, but it got me my first 500 lb squat, 500 lb GM, and 500 lb deadlift, and put more than 50 lbs on my frame. Also, I started using this before I could use bands or chains. Worked anyways.

2 things here…

Best routine results on lifts - WS4SB !!!
When i had the opportunity to train what was required with a spotter i made more progress on this in 2 months than ever since then. but due to complications i dont do it anymore… even though i should… getting a car soon so it might help it alot !

Best routine results on athletic performance - Diet.
had 2 bad years of handball. got sacked from team after team never playing good or breakin through(only defensively witch kept me in the game) but then i lost some kilos and now i am playing like in the old days when i was picked for the talent teams and stuff… routines gets you far but its hard to out train a poor diet !

btw i was also following a defranco programme during the weight loss period.