Your Most Brutal Workout?

most brutal …was outside the gym.

Picking up 1000 bales of hay out of the field and putting them up in a barn, on a hot, humid Midwestern summer day.

I know some of you don’t think much of Pavel Tsatsouline, but I did a workout of his for 6 weeks that was quite brutal.

3 days a week, just 2 movements, bench and deads. It was a volume workout and I don’t remember the sets/reps (this was 2 years ago). It was something like 50% of your 10 rep max for 5x5, then 75% for 5x5 then 90% for 5x5. That was the big day.

Or there may have been rep progression too like 8, 6, 4, 2, 1. Like I said, that was over two years ago. The other two days were easier. Anyway, my trainer told me I should make sure to take a nap on the big day sometime and try not to do much of anything else. He was right.

I’ve never made strength gains like I did on that program. It was awesome. In fact, I’m going to do that program again here real soon. Just have to find my logs.

Edit to say: I think it was 50% of 1 rep max, not 10 rep. I was using 10 rep maximums to calculate my 1 rep max. Nevermind, I’ll just find the log and post it sometime.

The cybergenics workout from the 80’s!

WTF was I thinking…

Anyone think 20 rep deadlifts are much harder than the 20 rep breathing squats? Or for that matter sets of 8-12 with a full clean and jerk?

Tire flips for max reps versus a training partner is also brutal…or total cleans and press in a three minute period.

[quote]Joseph93 wrote:
Anyone think 20 rep deadlifts are much harder than the 20 rep breathing squats? Or for that matter sets of 8-12 with a full clean and jerk?

Tire flips for max reps versus a training partner is also brutal…or total cleans and press in a three minute period. [/quote]

Most definitely. Squats aren’t dynamic enough.

Most destructive:

10 burpees
10 overhead pushups
10 pullups
9 burpees
9 overhead
9 pullups…

so on till 0, no rest

Crossfit style “Tabata This”

Tabata pull ups>press ups>situps>squats with no break inbetween.

Work Capacity 101 by Ross Enamait is really tough.
www.rosstraining.com/articles/workcapacity101.html

High rep bodyweight squats are sheer torture.

I did EDT back in the day. I supersetted squats and stiff-legged-deadlifts (for 20min) then lunges and leg curls (for 15), then I did calves.

I was borderline almost puking and extremely light-headed after each time I did that.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
It was only one exercise, but it was the worst pain and the worst burn I have ever felt.

I challenge each and everyone of you to do this, if you haven’t already. That is…If you’re man enough.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
Take an incline bench, and grab two dumbbells to curl (weight at 80% of 1RM). Sit down, and hold the dumbbells to your side. Hold the dumbbell in your left hand as you do 10 reps of curls with your right arm. Now let your right arm down, BUT DO NOT LET GO OF THE DUMBBELL. Hold it as you do 10 reps of curls with your left arm. When you finish the tenth rep, count to TEN, and drop the dumbbell in your right hand. Count to TEN once more, and drop the dumbbell in your left hand.

FEEL THE BURN, YOU WOMEN. Oh yea, try not to cry. [/quote]

How do you get ten reps for 80% or you one rep max?? DOnt most get only 8.

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
I did EDT back in the day. I supersetted squats and stiff-legged-deadlifts (for 20min) then lunges and leg curls (for 15), then I did calves.

I was borderline almost puking and extremely light-headed after each time I did that.[/quote]

I actually did this(squats and deadlifts supersetted)…man was i an idiot. I said f@#% PR zones, i didn’t want to puke on the floor of my gym.

[quote]Mazdabation wrote:
Crossfit style “Tabata This”

Tabata pull ups>press ups>situps>squats with no break inbetween.[/quote]

ah ok.i read up on th tabat after,seems very effective. whats gona be tough for me wont be the tabata workout but changing from counting reps to counting seconds.lol

Surf kayaking for an hour and a half in 5-6 foot surf [with brown shark fins popping up every few minutes.]

Any workout day using OVT…40 sets (supersets)…is just plain fucking exhausting.

My Krav Maga Level 2 test.

I had a sinus infection and we went through the entire curriculum twice before we even tested!

It made for a total of 6 hours of non-stop hand to hand combat, sparring, and self defense.

Lots and lots of blood, sweat, and snot that day!

I made it though… im a level three student now!

One of the hardest workouts I ever did was an accident. I was training for a fight with a couple other guys, the trainer tells us to go out back behind the gym and start running sprints (this was after already doing our MMA training) and he’d tell us when we could stop. Well in the meantime he started talking to someone or teaching another class or doing something in the gym and forgot we where even out there.

I ran so many sprints that I had to just sit out in the parking lot in my truck until everyone else had left because my legs were too tired to push in the clutch in my truck.