T Nation

Your Medicine Cabinet

What’s a good list of items to keep on hand?

I learned the hard way to keep Vycodin in there.

I do pushups every Tues/Fri with my students. We’re up to 25 (you guys would be shocked at how out of shape some teens are.) So, the crazy teacher decided to do dips between desks, instead of pushups. Good idea, unless you do 125 of them. DOMS!!! And these were not regular doms, these were the screaming variety.

Nothing helped, so I went to an urgent care place (I know, I’m a WIMP!) and had 'em script me some Vy. It now has a place of homor in my meds cabinet!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

I learned the hard way to keep Vycodin in there.

[/quote]

You’re on the road to ruin. Drive carefully.

That is one of the most over used and abused drugs out there. If your workouts lead to such pain the you need a pain killer, you need to change workouts, not rely on narcotics.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
That is one of the most over used and abused drugs out there. If your workouts lead to such pain the you need a pain killer, you need to change workouts, not rely on narcotics.[/quote]

Word.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
That is one of the most over used and abused drugs out there. If your workouts lead to such pain the you need a pain killer, you need to change workouts, not rely on narcotics.[/quote]

I did 5 sets of 25 BW dips, at the end of each class. I should know better, but being around 17 and 18 year olds brings out the craziness (more so than usual). This was a RARE circumstance.

Once, I made a pact that if anyone of my students got a 30 or more on the ACT, I’d shave my head. THAT I like, but I won’t be doing the dips thing again, for sure.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I did 5 sets of 25 BW dips, at the end of each class. I should know better, but being around 17 and 18 year olds brings out the craziness (more so than usual). This was a RARE circumstance.

Once, I made a pact that if anyone of my students got a 30 or more on the ACT, I’d shave my head. THAT I like, but I won’t be doing the dips thing again, for sure.

[/quote]

Either you’re not teaching very many children or your city is taking stupid pills if there’s not one kid among your students that scores 30 or higher on the ACT.

Explain to this old bastard what ACT entails and how it is scored. I would like to see where I score.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
I did 5 sets of 25 BW dips, at the end of each class. I should know better, but being around 17 and 18 year olds brings out the craziness (more so than usual). This was a RARE circumstance.

Once, I made a pact that if anyone of my students got a 30 or more on the ACT, I’d shave my head. THAT I like, but I won’t be doing the dips thing again, for sure.

Either you’re not teaching very many children or your city is taking stupid pills if there’s not one kid among your students that scores 30 or higher on the ACT.
[/quote]

Scoring a 30 or higher is quite hard to do. You do know what the test entails, I hope? Its scaled to 36 and is quite a difficult test. Probably about 5% of our kids get that score or higher. Nationally, the average on the whole thing is about 22 or so.

BTW: To even be considered for my alma mater (Michigan), you need a 24 to even be considered, while a 28 makes it likely you’ll get in, all other things being equal. To get in with a 24, you used to have to be black (I saw their grid).

The ACT comes in 2 (or 3) parts. You can score up to 36 points per part, then they average it for your overall. About 200 kids per year get a 36. Getting a 30 or more is quite an achievement and a requirement for the upper-echelon schools.

Actually there are 4 parts to the ACT test. My son just took it and got a 29. Ready to kick his butt, HS grades don’t match the test score. The other big college entrance test is the SAT, it has 2 parts.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Scoring a 30 or higher is quite hard to do. You do know what the test entails, I hope? Its scaled to 36 and is quite a difficult test. Probably about 5% of our kids get that score or higher. Nationally, the average on the whole thing is about 22 or so.

BTW: To even be considered for my alma mater (Michigan), you need a 24 to even be considered, while a 28 makes it likely you’ll get in, all other things being equal. To get in with a 24, you used to have to be black (I saw their grid).

[/quote]

At my public high school in southern Oklahoma, we had about a half-dozen out of ~100 students break 30 in my graduating class. There were a half-dozen more who, if they did not break 30, were very close. Our class was not extraordinary among other graduating classes from this school.

Perhaps my school really is something special, but I suspect that the standardized tests are just being dumbed down.

Regardless, from my perspective scoring over 30 on the ACT isn’t a big deal and merely proves that a student is good at standardized tests and is marginally intelligent. Nothing more.

If you made your wager at my high school, you’d be bald pretty much all school year, every school year. :wink:

Actually, I thought that the thread title was pretty good, if taken literally.

Here’s my medicine cabinet:

Supplements:

Alpha Male (not currently using)
Creatine
ZMA
Greens +
Androgel
Multivitamins
Protein powder
Surge

Blood Pressure: (hope to drop these soon - approaching my goal weight)

81mg Aspirin
Benicar

Pain relief:

Ibuproprin (sp?)
Naproxin Sodium
Fioricet
Percoset - all out - but just as well :slight_smile:

Sleep Aids:

Ambien
Lunestra (milder and much better than Ambien, IMHO)
Pot - mild home grown

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Scoring a 30 or higher is quite hard to do. You do know what the test entails, I hope? Its scaled to 36 and is quite a difficult test. Probably about 5% of our kids get that score or higher. Nationally, the average on the whole thing is about 22 or so.

At my public high school in southern Oklahoma, we had about a half-dozen out of ~100 students break 30 in my graduating class. There were a half-dozen more who, if they did not break 30, were very close. Our class was not extraordinary among other graduating classes from this school.

Perhaps my school really is something special, but I suspect that the standardized tests are just being dumbed down.
[/quote]

I’ll vote for that possibility. At the university I work at we see kids coming in who don’t have the slightest idea how to write a sentence that would have been expected of me when I was in 8th grade.

Making matter worse is that many universities…mine included…continue to dumb down course content and/or expectations. I have even been scolded by colleagues for being “nasty” by insisting a certain level of achievement. Is it any wonder that as a nation we continue to be less competitive?

[quote]hankr wrote:
Actually, I thought that the thread title was pretty good, if taken literally.

Here’s my medicine cabinet:

Supplements:

Alpha Male (not currently using)
Creatine
ZMA
Greens +
Androgel
Multivitamins
Protein powder
Surge

Blood Pressure: (hope to drop these soon - approaching my goal weight)

81mg Aspirin
Benicar

Pain relief:

Ibuproprin (sp?)
Naproxin Sodium
Fioricet[/quote]

What’s Fioricet? Never heard of it.

Can we get back to insulting him for using a highly addictive and possibly overprescribed medication as if it were Tylenol?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Can we get back to insulting him for using a highly addictive and possibly overprescribed medication as if it were Tylenol?[/quote]

Well, hello Professor! I must say I truly enjoy your input and I do value your experience and expertise.

The doctor who examined me observed that my trapezius was spasming. Hey it happens when you are old! Anyway, he gave me a script for 12 tablets, I took 5 of them over the course of the next 2 days. The remaining 7 are for emergency use in the future, should need arise.

I had tried Tylenol with little effect and was in quite bad pain. IYO, should I have simply continued to suffer or take a small dose of a good painkiller?

Aspirin and whiskey.

PCP - if it was good enough for animals, it’s good enough for me.