Your Longest Run? Bike? Swim? March?

[quote]pgtips wrote:
@ Nards:

I’m looking forward to see if I can put this 10 miles in now. I can imagine I’d get a job at the Ministry of silly walks afterwards.

haha I like the way you just casually do a half marathon.

What exactly did you do for your training in the couple of moths before? did you step up your training or just chill out and carry on what you were usually doing and beast through it on the day?

I’m roughly 75kg by the way.

[/quote]

I should check my log book but I think it was two 30 minute runs (or jogs if you like) and I tried to do a longer run every week, but sometimes it was just 60 minutes…but I did a total of 3 “long” runs before the race…a 13km a 15km and an 18km…with that 18km being a week before the half Marathon.

I should mention I did two half Marathons back in 1997 and 1998 and did them in 2:04 and 1:58 respectively. I was about 210lbs then and of course 14 to 15 years younger.

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
I’m 255lbs…
[/quote]

Why are you so heavy bro?

tweet[/quote]

I put too much food and beer in my mouth.

Run - 9 miles along the Charles River in Boston back in college
Bike - 40 miles - took about 2.5 hours, legs shut down the last couple miles
Swim - 1 mile
Overall - 1000 m swim/28 mile bike/6.5 mile run. One and only race I’ve done, somewhere around 3:20, but not bad for a short 200+ lb PLer.

Ive spent a lot of time working in bike shops through highschool and after, went through a period of time where i was mountain biking 3 or 4 times a week and riding centuries on the weekend. Ive done probably a couple dozen century rides, some metric, which is only a little over 60 miles, but most were the standard 100 miles.

Longest I ever rode at once was the horrible hilly 100 century, which actually can be ridden for 120 miles and covers about 10,000 feet of elevation gain, which is what i did. The name suits it well. Did it once and never again.

I suck at running.

I’ve done one marathon. Took 3:22min. That hurt bad, but I recovered surprisingly quickly.

I’ve marched a long way. Most in one hit would be a 30km, but I’ve done 128km in 120hours (with other tasks along the way).

I’ve ridden many a 100km rides too. I much prefer long rides over walking. I love the uphill grinds and then the downhill sprints, both road and mountain bikes. My first 24h mountain bike race was intense, albeit in a 6 man, but the next one in a 4 man was another league!

BBB - 155mile ride, respect! Plus for the ski too. Nice work.

Audio, I’ve had quite a few friends do the Horribly Hilly Hundreds. They all say it is one of the hardest rides they’ve ever done. Harder even than some of the more famous rides out West with big mountain passes.

And thanks sexyxe. I’m jealous of your marathon. I’ve long wanted to complete one, but now I’ve got a morton’s neuroma in my foot and I can’t take the regular pounding that it takes to train for one.

100 mile “run.” More of a walk/limp/shamble for a lot of it. In the Shenandoah’s in VA. 27:20. Re: the argument, “You can do 3, so you could do 20 in a few months.” Can doesn’t mean should, but it’s probably realistic.

I’m up to 215 now, was 190ish when I was running a lot. Trying to drop some weight, unfortunately mostly muscle, so I run a little faster and less like a gorilla.

[quote]booksbikesbeer wrote:
Audio, I’ve had quite a few friends do the Horribly Hilly Hundreds. They all say it is one of the hardest rides they’ve ever done. Harder even than some of the more famous rides out West with big mountain passes.

And thanks sexyxe. I’m jealous of your marathon. I’ve long wanted to complete one, but now I’ve got a morton’s neuroma in my foot and I can’t take the regular pounding that it takes to train for one.[/quote]

There is a hill towards the end of the HHH that is so long with such a steep grade that i literally did not see a single person who was able to ride the whole way. Most people walked the majority, if not all of it. I managed about half way but by that time you’re legs are so burnt out from the previous hundred miles of hills that it seems all but impossible.

People have asked me if century rides are comparable to marathons, and while i’ve never ran a marathon, i would say in general marathons are harder. But the HHH truly is one of the hardest things i think you can do in the midwest, running or cycling.

Longest run was a 50k trail, 20 miles road.
Longest bike ride was 156 miles
Longest hike in a day was 38 with 10k + feet of climbing

@ Nards.

Ran 5.6K in 33 (5K in 27) minutes today including a break for a massive piss part way through. It’s the furthest I have ever run, actually quite enjoyed it and found it very relaxing. I wasnt even out of breath after which came as a suprise.

I don’t think I’d be able to make 10 miles yet, so I’m going to work up to it. (I run in “minimal footwear” and my feet are definitely not strong enough yet)

Thanks for spiking my interest in seeing how far I can run.

Ran 17 miles in 1:49, was a training run and not going for time.

My longest bike ride (had short breaks) was back in highschool, 230 kilometers the first day, then 130 the next.

better question would be, whats your fastest run, bike or swim…

My longest run was back in the police academy towards graduation, I weighed a good 220 and was forced to run 8 miles. I did it in 70 minutes and beat half my recruit class who were mostly slim ppl I passed…no longer an officer though.

Longest bike ride was 38 or 39 miles, during one summer and I loved all of it.

Swim, maybe 75 yards before touching the bottom and being disqualified during a 100 yard test. My goal is to do 500 yards in 13-14 mins. for the pipeline qualifications.

Today I ran 40 minutes in the sand in Bates boots and BDU pants, 15 minutes farmers walks with a pair of 45 lb. plates, 335 pushups and 3 hours rucking on trails with 39 lbs. on my back. It’s a part of my 2-day Ranger School immersion course prep…I can tell you that running 8 miles on asphalt is far easier.

The longest I’ve run in 16km (10mi), but with a 22kg weighted vest. That fucking sucked.

I did a mile (1.6km) swim when I injured my knee, my lips were tingly and vibrated for about half an hour, I must have been breathing like a retard as I was swimming. The sauna afterwards was amazing, until I fell asleep in there haha

Swimming: the LaJolla Cove Gatorman which is a 3 mile ocean swim from LaJolla cove to Scripps pier and back.

Cycling: the Markleeville Deathride in South Lake Tahoe which is 135miles and 15,000 feet of climbing.

the Tahoe Flume Trail from hwy 50 north to hwy 431 on the east side of Lake Tahoe.

the Looney Bean @7800 feet up main st to Uptown to Beach Cruiser to Off the Top to the top of

Mammoth Mountain.  14 miles and 3200 sustained feet of climbing up to 11,053 feet.

Running: The lakes basin loop in Mammoth Lakes of 5 miles done 3 times for 15 miles at 9,000feet

in 2 hours and 20 minutes.

I’m not sure if this counts as a march or not but I once went 15 miles through a blizzard with somewhere between 10lbs and 15lbs of junk in each hand and twice that in a bag hanging around my neck. Also, all I had eaten for the past day and a half was two of those small yogourt things.

[quote]spk wrote:
better question would be, whats your fastest run, bike or swim…[/quote]

Not necessarily. That could be a new thread.

[quote]pgtips wrote:
@ Nards.

Ran 5.6K in 33 (5K in 27) minutes today including a break for a massive piss part way through. It’s the furthest I have ever run, actually quite enjoyed it and found it very relaxing. I wasnt even out of breath after which came as a suprise.

I don’t think I’d be able to make 10 miles yet, so I’m going to work up to it. (I run in “minimal footwear” and my feet are definitely not strong enough yet)

Thanks for spiking my interest in seeing how far I can run.[/quote]

That’s great.

I think if you’re young then you can jump 2 or 3 miles in a week.
What I mean is a lot of running books and magazines recommend a slow rise in miles…but I think if you don’t run every day, thus giving your legs a chance to rest, you can work up to 20 miles a lot faster than some would say.

I also wish I’d have known about the idea of walking for one minute every 5 minutes of running when I first started. It;s really not at all a sign of weakness. It’s basically like turning your run into a weightlifting session…with sets and reps…run 5 min, walk 1 min and do that 10 times.

Oh lets see :

Longest run 13 miles 9half marathon)
Longest swim ; just over a mile.
Longest hike, in one day about 25 miles with 6.000 feet vertical ascent. (yosemite-clouds rest-tenaya-tuolomne)
Longest hike over several days : 100 miles/4 days. South west coast path.
Longest bike ride : 40-50 miles (sore arse !!)