T Nation

Your Liver

is milk thistle enough to protect your liver from the effects of oral steroids? If so, what is the proper dose and dosing times?

[quote]muscle_mike wrote:
is milk thistle enough to protect your liver from the effects of oral steroids? If so, what is the proper dose and dosing times?[/quote]

I’m quite sure that there is no supplement or drug that can effectively protect your liver from steroid (or other harsh drugs) induced damage. Some may be helpful in restoring your livers full health a bit faster by assisting its own regeneration capacities, such as milk thistle or Lipoic acid. The latter is proven to be quite effective in restoring liver health in acloholics or people with any other toxic liver damage.

You don’t really need any protection of your liver unless you plan to massively abuse oral steroids. Reasonable dosages for a limited time (no more than 8 weeks…) do elevate liver enzymes indicating liver stress somewhat but certainly won’t do any real damage. Only
prolonged administration of very high dosages (like 100 or even 200mg/day of anadrol given to patients with aplastic anemia over a period of 6 month or more) can lead to irreversible liver damage.

But since everyone is different (some may have inherited liver problems like hemochromatosis, some might have a stressed liver even before taking orals, predesposition to liver diseases…) it is always wise to get basic bloodwork done before and during a cycle. Orals will most likely elevate your liver enzymes a good bit but nowhere near critical levels. Stay away from stuff like methyl test or fluoxymesteron, those are known to be very toxic.

I ALWAYS run milk thistle while on a c17aa drug, and sometimes when I’m off too just to be safe. While on, I usually run 1.5g milk thistle and while off I drop it to .5g milk thistle.
For such a cheap supplement that can provide so much benefit, there is no reason not to take it.

MK

[quote]mikekatz wrote:
I ALWAYS run milk thistle while on a c17aa drug, and sometimes when I’m off too just to be safe. While on, I usually run 1.5g milk thistle and while off I drop it to .5g milk thistle.
For such a cheap supplement that can provide so much benefit, there is no reason not to take it.

MK[/quote]

I agree with MK. I use this stuff year around. And when I’m “ON” I add Liv.52 pre-during-post, especially if adding an oral.

One thing that I have heard, and I don’t know if this is correct. Is that if you do take milk thistle or any liver protectant, it is imperative that you be consistent on taking it daily. It’s supposed to be more stressful on your liver if you take it sporadically.

You only have one liver, and it’s important to keep it healthy.

I get powdered milk thistle 150grams (80% sylmarin) for 5bucks. So, this is something that is inexpensive and can help your lil liver out. Peace Out!

How does milk thistle actually help your liver?
Here in the UK it has been mentioned as a reducer of hang overs after a night of drinking?