T Nation

Your Life Goals in Strength Training

What are the bare minimum things that you wanna accomplish in your life strength wise?

What are yours?

dead lift 450 lbs at 180 lbs

• 2xBW bench press
  • 3xBW squat
  • 36" vertical jump
  • Muscle-up
  • One-armed chinups
  • Break multiple concrete blocks with a martial arts technique (not practical, but I’ve always wanted to try it)

A 1500 pound raw total. I hope to achieve this in the next few years. Right now I am around 1000 at 18.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
A 1500 pound raw total. I hope to achieve this in the next few years. Right now I am around 1000 at 18.[/quote]

ya gonna quit after that??

[quote]Hanley wrote:
VikingsAD28 wrote:
A 1500 pound raw total. I hope to achieve this in the next few years. Right now I am around 1000 at 18.

ya gonna quit after that??[/quote]

Hell no! Like the thread said this is a minimum goal, I want to move on to much bigger and better weights after that.

To be able to hike the Rocky Mountains after Deer, Elk, Bear, and other critters, and pack them out on my back if need be well into my seventies and beyond. If you don’t think that requires strength you’d be wrong.

D

Bench press a unicorn.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
What are yours?[/quote]

Thanks for asking.

All I want is a 500+ pound ATG high bar back squat (raw of course), a 315+ pound bench press, and a 315 pound snatch. Once I achieve those bare minimum goals, I’m happy…

I wanna achieve these goals without weighing more that 205 pounds, preferably at 198.

What about you?

I want to deadlift 600 lbs. Don’t care what bodyweight.

I don’t know how to state my goals without sounds like an egotistical dreamy prick…

My squat’s gone up and up over the past 2 years. 420 at the start of 07, 540 at the start of 08 and now 675 as of last weekend. I’d like to squat 400kg/881lb single ply and 1,003lb multiply while being drug free and between 242 and 275lb.

I’d like to bench 300kg/660lb in single ply gear at the same weight as above.

Deadlifts are my nemesis. I haven’t pulled a PR since November 2007. I’ve been fucking about with sumo and conventional without choosing and training one properly. I’m going with conventional for the rest of this year. Based off a best training lift of 232.5kg/515lb x5, I should be around 272.5kg/600lb right now. I bombed out of my last meet so didn’t get to test. This year I’d like to do everything I can to get close to pulling 300kg. I know it’s a stupid number to chase before the year’s out, but even if I come up short I should hit a whopper PR.

Ultimately, I’ve no idea what I could be capable of pulling. 750lb/340kg could be nice I suppose?

A major goal’s a 1000kg/2204lb total at 110kg/242lb. If I stay injury free in the long term, I like to think I could take a shot at 10x bodyweight.

Those are actual lifetime goals btw… but you can be sure if I get there, I’ll want more!

3xBW squat (or 750, whichever)
40" standing vertical jump
One arm chinup + 50% bodyweight

I hate putting limits on myself, but I won’t be satisfied with my strength until I at least achieve these things.

I want to deadlift 600 lbs. Don’t care what bodyweight.

I don’t really set long term goals in terms of lifts, I prefer such specific goals to be more short term.

However, as a general goal, I’d LOVE to at least get into the finals for Britain’s Strongest and/or UK’s Strongest Man.

I’ve been watching a lot of UK’s Strongest Man (which has a lot of gym lifts) and by comparing my gym maxes with the scoreboard, I usually end up around halfway down. Not bad considering I’m around 100lbs lighter than most of them!

squat 500 with just a belt
deadlift 600 with just a belt
405+ bench press with just wrist wraps

not strength related, but want to drop to 200lbs (sitting about 220-225 now)

I want to have a total that qualifies for the Olympics.

Worlds/Olympics

[quote]UpChucker wrote:
not strength related, but want to drop to 200lbs (sitting about 220-225 now)[/quote]

Maybe “drop” means something different here than lose weight. I hope so if you’re looking to get down to 20-25 pounds body weight.

The only lifetime goal I ever had was to bench 405. And I set that goal when I first got serious about weightlifting. That’s no longer satisfying since I should hit that by the end of the year.

Other than that I have no lifetime goals, just short term to intermediate goals.