Your Latest Article on Neurotyping

Boom!

Ramo and Halsey_Phillip:

Why post stupid comments criticizing someone’s sincere effort? Why are you even on this site?

I’ve followed Christian’s writings on this topic for the past 6 months. Even from reading just a few blogs, it’s clear to me that he has spent a considerable amount of time researching this topic, building and refining a model that can be truly useful. That’s the key, all models are wrong, some are useful. This is useful. This body of work is unlike anything I’ve seen in the fitness industry. If you don’t agree with it, shut the hell up and don’t post.

Christian agreed that with enough time and experimentation, you will figure it out on your own. For those with proper self-awareness, this could save a ton of time in experimentation. For those that have already figured it out, it allows you to filter out the myriad of other articles that don’t apply to your type and save you time continuing to experiment with things that aren’t right for you. Regardless of your stage in your lifting career, this is a useful body of work and it is FREE. TNATION doesn’t require you to buy 1 thing to read their content. You buy the supplements because they help you achieve your goals.

2 Likes

Coach, have you had any experience with trainees on SSRIs or SNRIs? Considering the purpose of the drugs, I feel like it would affect which category would work best, regardless of personality. Can you enlighten me a bit? I’d love to use these articles, but I’m afraid my antidepressants will negatively affect my results.

Fascinating stuff CT.
Hopefully you can feed my curiosity but what neuro types would fit the following of your programs ?

• best damn training (also the 3 way HIt split in your new book)
    -look like an bb, perform like an athlete

Also Paul carters ‘guaranteed muscle mass’

Thanks CT finding all this very interesting

Thanks JPG2219, I cannot understand why people would critisize but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you do not agree, voetsek…start your own post to debate, not on anothers post who actually wants more info…

I think criticism is good, and no person is above being challenged on their idea, not even CT who has proven himself to be very credible over the last few years. But if you’re going to criticize do so intelligently. Comparing brain chemistry to astrology shows a profound ignorance about basic physiology, at least what I would consider to be “basic” information. There is no scientific basis for astrology, but brain chemicals/neurotransmitters are very real. This is why people abuse drugs. Drugs directly affect brain chemistry. There is really no debate that neurotransmitters affect mood and personality.

Ramo makes a good point that trainees should keep workout logs and determine what works best. But nothing in this article says that you shouldn’t do that. Neurotyping is simply another tool in the toolbox of planning effective training.

Because this is a public forum and at least for today, I still enjoy access to it and the ability to post. If T-Nation really wants to push Neurotyping-based training as a thing, maybe that will change. And because it is goofy, like any attempt to base something as complicated as training or nutrition off a single physiological factor that you think you’ve isolated.

“This body of work is unlike anything I’ve seen in the fitness industry.” I’ve been around the industry in some respect for many years too, so I remember DB Hammer/Brad Nuttall, Joe Average powerlifting, Jesse Kellum’s crew doing depth jumps off a roof, Charles Poliquin’s Chinese typology, many dietary theories based on the manipulation of a single hormone, dietary and training theories based on ethnic background or blood type, etc. Adjusting training parameters based on personality type isn’t new either, Louie Simmons was talking about this 20 years ago.

In any event, this is mostly going to be gee-whiz information. If you have a goal, that is going to drive the kind of training you do, and tinkering, which every good lifter in the world does, is going to bake this theory in if it has validity anyway. If you’re training for masturbatory amusement, I guess spending time and energy considering the impact of neurotransmitters on your personality might lend insight into what’s likely to be more enjoyable for you, so go crazy with it.

I mean, I hope you feel this strongly about TC’s articles about which supplements to take/foods to eat to obtain stronger erections too. That’s truly some next level advice to get you over the hump.

It’s common knowledge different programs have different results for different people. You said yourself tinkering is normal and you’ll find things you like and dislike. This is additional reading material that offers perspective on why that may be. If you don’t like it, skip it! No one is forcing it on you.

“If you don’t like it, skip it! No one is forcing it on you.”

You’re right, nor forcing per se, but I’ve gotten a couple emails this week about this, and it is presented as a little more than an interesting perspective that may explain differences in training responses among people. Kind of more as a revolutionary insight.

99% of the time when the Mormons knock on your door, you’re polite and say no thanks. Every once in awhile you feel like telling them their magic underwear are stupid.

Fact is the levels of these neurotransmitters have significant impact on peoples lives-addiction, depression etc. CT is simply showing the interesting point about how it relates to training stimulus,

One of my best friends is a novelty seeker, can do a ridiculous amount of intensity and volume, sometimes fasts all day, an absolute beast, crazy high energy, almost psycho type personality, guy seeks dopamine no question

His brother is level headed, stable, organised , calm, he needs high carbs, is pretty strong and does high volume but really not explosive at all.

It’s all at the very least interesting talking points. Again as pointed out , CT hasn’t pulled this out of his arse, it’s comes from years of experience.

Nothing to do with Biotest sales, he has been talking about this for ages on his own site as well as numerous podcasts. He also as he mentioned uses this to help design is clients programs, is it not interesting to find out one of the ways one of the best coaches in the world analyses clients ?

1 Like

Ah yes, well, there’s only so much you can do about the marketing team right?

link? I can not find anything

It might have been the Braverman Personality test, but I can’t remember off the top of my head. CT had mentioned it maybe on his site. I don’t have a link, sorry.

Coach

Quick question? The type 1 and type 2 programs you mentioned I can really see how one can work some MetCon into these programs. Circuits, rest periods, etc and you are there.

Where does MetCon fit for type 3? The leg days on a GVT program can be hell but I rarely that the level of oxygen depletion on upper body days needed to stay lean.

Hey Coach,

In Part 4, the description of type 3, you write, “For hypertrophy work they do better on a lower volume approach where a few work sets are taken close to technical failure but without going to the point where form breaks down. Two to 3 progressively harder warm-up sets and 1-2 work sets per exercise is best.”

Then in part 5 you recommend GVT for type 3’s. What gives?
Thanks for the clarification.

Bang on… especially about CTs constant changes in ideas over the years,
I do find it an interesting concept, but right now it’s a little all over the place

Changing ideas implies knowledge and education. We can’t have any of that!

OK so if that is the case, is neuro-typing now based on who is an introvert and who is an extrovert?

In general, a lack of dopamine can cause symptoms of poor mood, anhedonia, fatigue, no reward-motivated behavior, etc. No one in this low dopamine state is going to enjoy socializing - there is a lack of motivation to go out in the first place, if you understand what I mean.

Not to mention some receptors with dopamine for example are inhibitory or excitatory, but I understand that is going outside the scope of the article.

Exactly! I’m very confused. To add to this - in the Best Damn Workout for Natty’s the strategy is low reps/low volume in order to minimize cortisol release. That rationale sounded good but doesn’t square up with recommending GVT for the same purpose of cortisol control.

PB_Andy, I am not quite sure if I get your point. Are you asking if neurotyping is reduced only to extra- and introversion? If that is your question, then I guess the answer is no. It seems to me that that the TCI test is pretty closely linked to the Big 5 -personality theory, and all of the personality traits (if I am not mistaken) are linked in one way or another to the hormonal system.