Your Gym Playlist

I’m going to listen to all these songs mentioned. I’m not going to thank anyone for songs i like, but i will criticize anyone that mentioned anything I don’t like…

1 Like

Love weird Al. Not what I’d listen to for lifting but always enjoyed him.

I only pick songs from the band that make me feel like lifting which is definitely not everyone below. And yes I’m still stuck in the 90’s on most bands and I will remain stuck until death. And I have this old blue MP3 player that I continue to use and have used for forever. None of this new age play it from your iPhone while standing in a stream or whatever the kids call it now.

My list:

Hard rock metalish:

Metallica and AC/DC

Punk rockish:

Dillinger 4
Green Day
Offspring
NOFX
No use for a name
Etc.

Hip hop:

Em
Royce da 5’9
Cunninglynguists
Pharoah Monch

I have 3 playlists depending on the mood:

1. Heavy and Slammy. Generally my go to genre anyways, probably consumes about 70% of my gym time.

Carnifex
Lorna Shore
Dying Fetus
Acrania
Angelmaker
Dying Fetus
Consumed By Vultures
Make Them Suffer
So Much Dying Fetus
Infant Annihilator
Cannible Corpse
Etc.

1. Thrashy. Typically Friday tunes, something to bring back all my misguided angst from high school and make horrible decisions in the gym. Also really generic and predictable.

Sepultura
Evile
Slayer
Metallica
Pantera
Throwdown
Children of Bodom (not thrashy, but I got into them when I was in my thrash phase)

1. Alternative. I’m a 90’s kid and like my grunge. Typically if I’m starting to go on auto pilot in the gym or I’m just over stimulated for any reason I tend to gravitate towards this. Also just old shit i used to listen to.

Powerman 5000
Local H
Alice In Chains
The Offspring
Static X
Stone Temple pilots
Audioslave/Soundgarden
Rage Against The Machine
ASG
Gorillaz
A Perfect Circle
Etc.

Bonus:

While normally you wont catch me dead listening to drum and bass or electronic music, but if I have heavy accessory work or something else monotonous and boring I’ll try to find the most rhythmic repetitive low stimulus house music I can find and I’ll completely zone in for some reason. It like… hyper enhances my focus.

2 Likes

Weird Al and I go back to my childhood. I’ve even been known to listen to a little Dr. Demento too.

I’ve never had a strong connection between lifting and music. Almost all of my best lifts and sets were done in a quiet gym or to whatever happened to be playing at the gym. Along the way I’ve had notable PR’s while the Grateful Dead were playing, the Spice Girls and Hall and Oates.

I’ve tapped into it at times though. KMFDM, NIN, Ministry, The Stooges, Motorhead and various other metal-ish bands have accompanied me on many great and occasionally angry workouts.

Otherwise I tend to zone in, at least on heavy stuff.

I’m the exact opposite. I’ll drive home if I forget my music. It’s been years since I didn’t listen to music and lift. Definitely haven’t done it since college.

But I also don’t think anything magic about it really. I don’t notice it during the set. I do enjoy listening to podcasts while going on incline walks and stuff for conditioning. I’ve certainly put on some fat since we had our kid and I’m finally working to get rid of it.

1 Like

My phone broke recently & with looking after a child and being busy with work, I haven’t had the time to get it fixed.

I’ve been doing workouts at the gym whilst listening to the music they play there & some of the songs are so bad, they’ve sapped the energy from me.

Listening to music probably doesn’t improve your workout, but listening to bad music can be detrimental in my opinion!

Agreed. When it comes to harsh vocals I think Phil Bozeman is the pinnacle. It always amazes me how much power comes out of such a quiet and reserved little man. I’ve met Phil and he is so chill, its crazy when the monster comes out on stage or on the album. With that said though I’ve always had a soft spot for Matti Way, who’s most famous from Disgorge and Pathology. I mean can anyway top Matti’s performance on the Cranial Impalement album?

Count me in the “Music Matters” category. I have a soundtrack for lifting, a soundtrack for driving to the jiu-jitsu academy (one for Tuesday, one for Thursday), a soundtrack for driving home from the academy, a soundtrack for post-jiujitsu cardio, a soundtrack for lifting warmup cardio …

This year, my lifting music has been exclusively the Deftones. I’ve been working my way backwards through their catalogue and only listen to them when I’m lifting. For the last 10 weeks of the Best Damn HVT4N I’ve been running, it’s been “Diamond Eyes.” When I start my new program in the second half of September, I’ll switch to “Saturday Night Wrist” and will be listening to that exclusively through the end of the year.

1 Like

I do not usually listen to music when training but, some guy put on the Doom soundtrack at a small gym and I had a great session.

Marilyn Manson
Hardwire
Primal fear
W.A.S.P
Rammstein
Rob zombie
Dance with the dead
Hammerfall
Metallica
Hard trance & hardcore (in the uk sense of the word).

Here are some of my faves:

Green Day
Oasis
Soundgarden
Foo Fighters
The Cranberries
Nirvana

I’d say you graduated high school in the early to mid 90s …

I am going to guess he was WAY too stoned to graduate.

every fucking time this comes up it’s always cookie monster shit.

2 Likes

Oh my god thank you.

1 Like

Well this is just a small fragment of what I like to listen to. Playlist is off to the side in the little bars icon.

I’m a huge EDM banger. Most people just hear a clash of noises concerning this type of music (and to be fair it somewhat is), but I love it.

Fiver finger death punch
Bobby shmurda
The road Hammers
Kodak Black
Merkules
NBA Young Boy
Pantera
Kevin Gates
System of a down
Drop Kick Murphys

All the artists on my top 25 played in that order.

1 Like

Slayer
Jungle Rot
High on Fire
DLR era VH

:sunglasses::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Reminds me of my past uh… interesting history. But just reminded now moving forward with my life ha