Your Footwear for Squats/Deads?

[quote]heavylifter36 wrote:
I agree about the vibrams. I was reading an article by Dan John where he talked about how awesome the vibrams were which made me think about buying them, but every time I step into the gym, there’s a bunch of idiots wearing them who don’t squat, deadlift, or run and I tell myself I will never buy them.[/quote]

Vibrams are just ok, really. They’re not so amazing or special that I’d go out and blow $80 on them again. They are really grippy which can be nice. And they fit like a glove which on one hand makes them comfortable because they conform to your foot, but on the other, its like wearing a fucking glove on your foot. I don’t even like to wear socks so wearing something that feels like a glove can get irritating. Plus people constantly ask about them which is really annoying.

Lately, my favorite shoes have been my old Sambas. Flat sole, some arch support, and they’re low so I can slip them on instead of tying them like my Chucks. AND half the price of Vibrams and other fancy sneakers.

Don’t let the pretentiousness about vibrams ruin them for you, they’ll get muscles working in your lower legs that you didn’t know you had. In fact when you get them you cant even wear them for longer than a hour or two a day because you get sore. I mean, you could just lift barefoot too…

[quote]Meat Romney wrote:
Don’t let the pretentiousness about vibrams ruin them for you, they’ll get muscles working in your lower legs that you didn’t know you had. In fact when you get them you cant even wear them for longer than a hour or two a day because you get sore. I mean, you could just lift barefoot too…[/quote]

Its not pretentiousness. Its a dumb fitness fad and a bunch of douchebags and crossfitters have jumped on the bandwagon.

Also, I’ve worn them all day. Straight out of the shoe box. Never had this problem. Must only be a problem for weak people.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Its not pretentiousness. Its a dumb fitness fad and a bunch of douchebags and crossfitters have jumped on the bandwagon.

Also, I’ve worn them all day. Straight out of the shoe box. Never had this problem. Must only be a problem for weak people.[/quote]

hahahahahaha. buckeye girl is a bad bitch!!! <3 <3

I had some posterior hip capsule issues and occasionally knee and ankle problems. After a couple weeks of wearing the vibrams, it got a lot better and it disappeared after a couple months. I’ve had flat soled shoes before and they helped, but my hip still nagged me, but there’s something different about the vff’s.

I never get blisters or foot funk in the vff’s which happens easily in regular shoes especially in the summer.

I like them for squats because I can feel the ground real well and can tell where exactly my weight is shifted and I’m better balanced. Same with deads. I like it better for bench press even. I can get my feet further back and still have my knees lower than my hips.

Normally, I’d be rocking out in my socks but due to a petty personal trainer at the “fitness center” (I know, need to find a new gym) I workout in running to tell his manager about this, I received a stern warning about the dangers of working out sans shoes.

Perhaps I’ll pick up some Chucks

Chuck T’s, wrestling shoes, or bare foot for powerlifting… The vibram shoe, with me, rates up there on the gay scale with crocs… I don’t care who wears them. I have a buddy that has a pair and competed in them at our last comp. Sorry folks no magic in having those lil piggies separated… Just your manhood questioned…

I had this scrawny little girl that works at the gym tell me I couldn’t squat barefoot. When I told her that alot of people do it, she replied “well, it’s gym policy. You need to put your shoes on.” I didn’t even have socks on so that might have offended some people. Nonetheless, dumb policy.

I use Olympic Shoes for squats and thin soled chucks for basically everything else.

Nothing, not even socks.

chucks

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Chuck Taylor, classic. [/quote]

Dittos

Jump Soles.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Jump Soles.[/quote]

Squat? Deadlift? or both?

Wrestling shoes for all lifting.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Jump Soles.[/quote]

Squat? Deadlift? or both? [/quote]

Everything, ESPECIALLY supine plantar extensions.

vibrams arent magic but they’re better than running shoes and cross trainers

Ascics tai chi- like a barefoot shoe but looks pretty normal

Short-ass socks.

Vibrams are great if you are going for the barefoot affect.

Don’t let clothing own you, you own the f*cking clothing!!